Statutory guidance to police on firearms licensing

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
CraigH
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: Mayfair Sunderland

Re: Statutory guidance to police on firearms licensing

#2 Post by CraigH »

Responses should be posted to:

Firearms: Statutory Guidance Consultation

Serious Violence Unit
Home Office
5th Floor Fry Building
2 Marsham Street London SW1P 4DF

I mean come on, is there any need!
Christel
Site Admin

#3 Post by Christel »

CraigH wrote:

I mean come on, is there any need!
lol
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#4 Post by Pippin89 »

I would be very interested is hearing about any occasions where the current system has failed and someone has been granted an FAC or SGC when they shouldn't have been....
Mike95
Home club or Range: Harrowden Rifle Club

#5 Post by Mike95 »

We have an estimated 9.4 million uk residents who were born abroad....some of them will apply for a shotgun certificate or an FAC...how on earth does a local FLU check the background of an applicant born abroad? I assume that this new legislation provides some backup for the FLU to refuse an application...Unfortunately all uk born applicants will be dragged into the net...

Mike95
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#6 Post by Blackstuff »

So in the 'risks' section it apparently hasn't even been contemplated that people who are keen shooters may become less likely to see their GP about a medical/mental condition and therefore become more likely to suffer ill-health/worsen their mental state. 8-) Self-fulfulling prophecy is starting to come to mind..... ****

Has anyone read 'the economic and social costs of crime' document where the costs of a murder and suicide are apparently derived from. I'd love to know how they came up with those figures
DVC
Dellboy
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: Star Shooting Club

#7 Post by Dellboy »

Well after i was diagnosed at the hospital (quite serious )they visited me within 10 days ,nice low key car (not) 2 officers stab vests etc etc . Oh and no knowledge of firearme as one swept the other with a lbp .....
2020 GOOD DEALS WITH

Cutch Vortex Scope
Mauserbill Enfield Books

Enjoy today as tomorrow might not come .

Noli pati a scelestis opprimi.

nickb834
Home club or Range: Wakefield R&PC, Warwickshire Armourers R&PC

#8 Post by nickb834 »

Mike95 wrote:We have an estimated 9.4 million uk residents who were born abroad....some of them will apply for a shotgun certificate or an FAC...how on earth does a local FLU check the background of an applicant born abroad? I assume that this new legislation provides some backup for the FLU to refuse an application...Unfortunately all uk born applicants will be dragged into the net...

Mike95
It happens all the time - the cops prod their local cops back home to get the criminal history of it - but if you're not resident in this country you can only have a visitors permit, if you are resident you best get a GP's surgery locally - and therein lies the rub - get their medical history prior to moving here.......
Christel
Site Admin

#9 Post by Christel »

Firearms statutory guidance
Q1. Are you replying:
on behalf of a business or other organisation

Business and other organisations
Q4. Where is the main location of your business or organisation?
England

Q5. What is the nature of your business or organisation? (tick all that apply)
Firearms dealer

Medical arrangements
Q6. To what extent do you agree that the new arrangement for medical checks will improve public safety?
Strongly disagree

Q7. To what extent do you agree that the police should not proceed to issue a firearm or shotgun certificate unless they have received the relevant information from the applicant’s GP?
Strongly disagree

Q8. To what extent do you agree that the new arrangements for medical checks represent an effective and efficient approach to ensure the police have the medical information they need before making a decision on the application?
Strongly disagree

Q9. Do you have any other comments on the new arrangements for medical checks? (150 words max)
Most shooters I have spoken to have not been seen by a GP for years, medical information from said GP will not evaluate the applicant to a satisfactory level.

The draft guidance other than the new medical arrangements
Q10. Considering the draft guidance other than the new medical arrangements, are there any additional checks or processes that should be included in the statutory guidance to improve public safety?
Yes
If “yes”, please specify and give reasons (max 150 words):
Checks at club or competition level. The people we as shooters meet on a frequent basis are the ones who can best evaluate. Other club members / competitors, the club owner. We all keep an eye out for each-other and make sure the shooter and the range are safe.

Q11. Is there anything further that can be added to the guidance to achieve a more consistent approach between forces regarding their firearms licensing functions?
Yes
If “yes”, please specify and give reasons (max 150 words):
Loads, one example is we moved from Bedfordshire into Lincolnshire, in Beds we were allowed to be in possession of each others guns (Husband and Wife) in Lincolnshire not so. Which of course makes life more difficult. En route to a competition filling the car up...who looks after the guns if not allowed to be in possession? Numerous other examples, forces have to speak to each other to streamline the process.

Q12. To what extent do you agree that the draft guidance properly balances the interests of certificate holders and the need to preserve public safety?
Disagree

Q13. Do you have any other comments on the draft guidance? (max 150 words):
I can't remember the last time the public was at risk from a legally held firearm. I understand and agree with safety and making sure the public is safe however the few incidents in the past with illegally held firearms should not be the base for how shooters in general are judged or treated.

Costs and benefits
Q14. Will any costs arise as a result of the new medical guidance that are not taken into account in the impact assessment?
Don't know

Q15. Will any benefits arise as a result of the new medical guidance that are not taken into account in the impact assessment?
No
Chuck

#10 Post by Chuck »

goodjob goodjob goodjob
Political Correctness is the language of lies, written by the corrupt , spoken by the inept!