Gun clubs posting videos

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Alan D
Home club or Range: Private range

Re: Gun clubs posting videos

#11 Post by Alan D »

BamBam wrote:Yes, there's 2 videos of sec 1 shotgun mag dumps, one a few weeks ago with a mag fed shotgun and a recent one with a tube fed semi-auto.i
I object to practical shotgun being called combat shotgun too.
Yep, sure way to get Sec1 shotgun banned, why can't these cowboys grow up and smell the bloody coffee, it's really not rocket science, its basic PR...
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#12 Post by Blackstuff »

Without seeing the video(s) and its context its difficult to give an accurate opinion. 'Mag-dumps' can be used for legitimate and useful purposes but from the sounds of things that may not be the case in this instance. Having fun is a big part of shooting (for most anyway!) but it does need to be tempered with some common sense in the anti-gun climate we unfortuantely find ourselves in here in the UK
DVC
Chuck

#13 Post by Chuck »

bambam:
I object to practical shotgun being called combat shotgun too.
You're too darn right, it's stupid to day the least!
Political Correctness is the language of lies, written by the corrupt , spoken by the inept!
bb2

#14 Post by bb2 »

The secretary of my club posted a photo of a turning target shoot at my club, which showed the club safety officer in possession of a long barrel pistol (unlawfully)and standing beside the police liaison officer for the club on the firing line. Marvellous.
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#15 Post by Dark Skies »

Tiptoe through life or stomp loud and proud - it won't make an ounce of difference to our parasitical politicians or lacklustre chief constables.
We're an easy bogie man that can be dragged out of the closet to scare the sheep periodically and then reassured with some exciting new wheeze so as to be seen to be tough on crime. It's probably the only reason private firearms are still allowed - so there's a constant feed of potential legislation to pull out of their arses as a distraction.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
Blair_Mc

#16 Post by Blair_Mc »

I haven't seen the particular videos being talked about but I think we shouldn't worry about videos of guns being fired fast; unless it's being done in an unsafe manner. The only way to stop shooting being used as a political punching bag is to increase the numbers of people who take part and you can only do that by presenting it in a fun (yet safe) manner. If that means firing off a bunch of rounds down range and then turning to the camera and saying "Come along and shoot this bad boy!" then I'm all for it.
I spend lots of money putting holes in paper.
BamBam

#17 Post by BamBam »

Blair_Mc wrote:If that means firing off a bunch of rounds down range and then turning to the camera and saying "Come along and shoot this bad boy!" then I'm all for it.
Except with section 1 shotguns, only those with the shotgun on their FAC may use it.
Blair_Mc

#18 Post by Blair_Mc »

BamBam wrote: Except with section 1 shotguns, only those with the shotgun on their FAC may use it.
Get them hooked before they realise that lol
I spend lots of money putting holes in paper.
TattooedGun
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Dudley Rifle Club, WNSC, UKPSA, Bromsgrove

#19 Post by TattooedGun »

It's still down to public perception, as much as people wish to belittle the idea that we shouldn't be posting videos such as mag dumps.

Is it legal, absolutely.
Is it something that can be used to sway public perception over what "needs" to be legislated against? In my mind, most definitely.

As logical, upstanding members of society, shooters know this is legal, and in the majority of cases perfectly safe to dump a mag into a solid backstop under the supervision of an RO. But average person on the street is not going to have the full picture. With potential headlines as "Hundred+ rounds per minute fire-rate", "Rapid Fire Death Machines Legal!" etc etc... whatever you want to do, and by posting these videos, it gives them the editorial to go along with it. They can cut/edit the videos to show what they want.

No publically available videos, no editorial, no story, it continues to be legal.

Some people need to pull their heads out of the sand and look at the big picture. We are fighting a losing battle, we need to make sure we're not giving the people who wish to continually neuter our sport ammunition against us.

Is it legal? Yes.
Is it in our best interests to show it? No.
Can we draw many numbers of shooters to the sport without them? Absolutely, my club is at capacity with many people on the waiting list without this type of video promotion, and myself am on waiting lists for other clubs at capacity who do not post these videos. It's simply not necessary to the survival of the sport as many people seem to proclaim, infact quite the opposite if you look at the big picture.
Chuck

#20 Post by Chuck »

clapclap clapclap clapclap
Political Correctness is the language of lies, written by the corrupt , spoken by the inept!