Rifle cleaning and lubrication

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Mauserbill
Home club or Range: Range

Rifle cleaning and lubrication

#1 Post by Mauserbill »

Hello
As a long time owner and shooter, I have always used Youngs express and 303 gun oil.
With the plethora of modern oils and cleaners that are out there, what are members thoughts on the best oils and cleaning products.
WelshShooter
Site Supporter Since 2016

Re: Rifle cleaning and lubrication

#2 Post by WelshShooter »

As a pre warning, there's lots of products which work really well and lots of different opinions on the matter. You can buy individual cleaners to remove carbon and copper, but there are some solvents which remove the both simultaneously.

I like using Wipeout (have used the regular one and the tactical one, not seen any difference in either) and they work great for me. The secret is to leave the solvent soak in the barrel for thirty to sixty minutes to soak up the fouling.

For lubrication of the bolt and lugs I use the old addage of "if it slides, grease it, if it rotates, oil it." I use a lithium based grease C2V for the former (eg bolt runways) and standard 3-in-1 gun oil for the latter (eg bolt lugs). You should only apply a very thin layer of grease, but it does stay in place. Same goes for the oil, if you put too much on (especially in a blowback semi automatic) the fouling will build up much quicker.
Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#3 Post by Pete »

How much time do you have?........there are almost as many opinions as there are guns, and as with cleaning products, an "industry" has evolved, carefully designed to separate as many shooters as possible from their hard-earned along the lines of "If it's expensive, it must be good. Even better if there's a picture of a gun on the label".

My two-pennorth:
Lube: Moly grease on the bolt lugs and cams (I have a tin of Castrol Moly left over from my kit-car days), a light oil such as Bisley Gun Oil for the bolt innards, and Brunox for everything else.
Clean: VFG system.
De-copper: (very infrequent): Robla Solo Mil.

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
treetop
Home club or Range: Grove

#4 Post by treetop »

I use the vfg system felts, with light gun oil & moly Greece on bolt, copper slip on threads
The vfg felts are great !
Rem 700 6.5 Creedmoor XLR Envy
Rem 700 .223 XLR Element
CZ 527 17 Hornet - AICS copy
Various other calibre's
WelshShooter
Site Supporter Since 2016

#5 Post by WelshShooter »

Err, not sure where I got Lithium from. This is the stuff, CV-2 moly based grease.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Red-Line-CV- ... Sw8D9bn7tR