Merseyside Police visiting people with 12 or more guns.....

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
HH1
Home club or Range: PSA

Merseyside Police visiting people with 12 or more guns.....

#1 Post by HH1 »

I live in Cheshire but attend several clubs in Liverpool. Friends have been visited by FLO and Uniformed Officers (typically a group of 3 people) turn up (unannounced) to inspect their guns. There have been 3 or 4 visits so far with more expected.......

The magic number is 12 + guns.... no idea why.

I don't know if this is something that is going to be pushed out across the country or if in is just a Merseyside "thing".
NoEntry
Home club or Range: Phoenix Shooters Association. Grange Rifle and Pistol Club. Jersey Pistol Club

Re: Merseyside Police visiting people with 12 or more guns..

#2 Post by NoEntry »

You are aware that you arent obliged to let them in, you can IF you want to but you are under no obligation to do so.
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#3 Post by Blackstuff »

As above, you don't have to let them in for an 'out of the blue' visit (unless of course they have reason to believe that a crime has been/about to be committed) and you should make anyone else in your house super aware of this if you're not in at the time. If its not convenient for you get them to ring you for a mutually agreed appointment. They can make peaceable entry if the door is open/no one stops them but they must leave if you ask them to.
DVC
Gh0st
Home club or Range: FDPC

#4 Post by Gh0st »

interesting, playing devils advocate why would you not let them inspect your guns, assuming everything is as it should be?

not condoning them turning up out of the blue tho.
All views expressed are my own unless otherwise stated! So please take your time to consider my opinions as biased to what i think is best....

http://www.bulletsandpixels.co.uk www.fdpc.org.uk
Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#5 Post by Pete »

Why wouldn't you let them in to have a look? Unless, of course, you had a plane to catch..............and if you weren't there, there'd be no point
in someone else letting them in because they wouldn't have access to the key.........would they?
Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
MistAgain

#6 Post by MistAgain »

Police forces claim they are short of cash and manpower .

So they go swanning round mob handed .

That gives them reason to complain to Home Office that FAC and SGC fees should go up .
Sim G
Past Supporter

#7 Post by Sim G »

The Home Office guidance states that:

“Where it is judged necessary, based on specific intelligence in light of a particular threat, or risk of harm, the police may undertake an unannounced home visit to check the security of a certificate holder’s firearms and shotguns. It is not expected that the police will undertake an unannounced home visit at an unsocial hour unless there is a justified and specific requirement to do so on the grounds of crime prevention or public safety concerns and the police judge that this action is both justified and proportionate.

It is recognised that there is no new power of entry for police or police staff when conducting home visits. To mitigate any misunderstanding on the part of the certificate holder the police must provide a clear and reasoned explanation to the certificate holder at the time of the visit.”

https://basc.org.uk/blog/press-releases ... o-members/

I’d suggest if the police turn up announced to inspect your security arrangements it will b because there is a reason. You will be provided with a reason...
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Gh0st
Home club or Range: FDPC

#8 Post by Gh0st »

Sim G wrote:The Home Office guidance states that:

“Where it is judged necessary, based on specific intelligence in light of a particular threat, or risk of harm, the police may undertake an unannounced home visit to check the security of a certificate holder’s firearms and shotguns. It is not expected that the police will undertake an unannounced home visit at an unsocial hour unless there is a justified and specific requirement to do so on the grounds of crime prevention or public safety concerns and the police judge that this action is both justified and proportionate.

It is recognised that there is no new power of entry for police or police staff when conducting home visits. To mitigate any misunderstanding on the part of the certificate holder the police must provide a clear and reasoned explanation to the certificate holder at the time of the visit.”

https://basc.org.uk/blog/press-releases ... o-members/

I’d suggest if the police turn up announced to inspect your security arrangements it will b because there is a reason. You will be provided with a reason...
And that reason should be accompanied by a warrant.

so what if they called up and requested a visit?

what are they entitled to? yearly or just when renewals come around.
All views expressed are my own unless otherwise stated! So please take your time to consider my opinions as biased to what i think is best....

http://www.bulletsandpixels.co.uk www.fdpc.org.uk
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#9 Post by Blackstuff »

Pete wrote:Why wouldn't you let them in to have a look? Unless, of course, you had a plane to catch..............and if you weren't there, there'd be no point
in someone else letting them in because they wouldn't have access to the key.........would they?
Pete
There was a case a few years ago where IIRC this scenario happened and the certificate holders mother being a helpful sort told the police where she thought her son kept his cabinet keys, which turned out to be correct and resulted in a revocation. I prefer to keep my keys locked up these days but its acceptable to have them somewhere not locked if its not obvious where they are/no one knows where they are. In this case the mother guessed correctly (can you really hide anything from your mother??) and landed him in trouble when all she was doing was trying to do was assist the police.

This video always springs to mind when topics like this come up;

https://youtu.be/i8z7NC5sgik

Don't get me wrong, in all likelihood I would let them in providing they had ID and explained why they were there, I'm just highlighting that you don't HAVE to (unless the above applies).
DVC
Sim G
Past Supporter

#10 Post by Sim G »

MistAgain wrote:Police forces claim they are short of cash and manpower .

So they go swanning round mob handed .

That gives them reason to complain to Home Office that FAC and SGC fees should go up .

My force had to cut 500 officers and 1000 support staff. Their work didn’t “go away” it had to be picked up by someone. In today’s climate, if they turn up at your door it’s because they really need to turn up at your door. The luxury of “swanning around mob handed” disappeared 10 years ogo!
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!