EU Spec dealt value.

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Hunter87

EU Spec dealt value.

#1 Post by Hunter87 »

I seriously believe deact dealers are deluded if they think they can still get the best part of £700 for an EU spec (completely welded solid Paper weight)

https://www.gunstar.co.uk/izhmash-facto ... ns/1068399
Andy632
Home club or Range: Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club (& Cawdor Rifle Club)

Re: EU Spec dealt value.

#2 Post by Andy632 »

aving a larfff
Rifle & Pistol Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club.
The Gun Pimp

#3 Post by The Gun Pimp »

Hunter87 wrote:I seriously believe deact dealers are deluded if they think they can still get the best part of £700 for an EU spec (completely welded solid Paper weight)

I suggest you have a read of https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... u-20152403 Add to that work the original cost of the firearm, reproofing and profit - it's not an easy way to get rich.
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#4 Post by snayperskaya »

The sad thing is people will pay silly money for deacs, which leads to a lot of very nice rifles that we could own and shoot on a Sec1 being butchered!.

For example I was looking for Mosin snipers for sale and the number of very nice original Tula and Izhevsk snipers with matching serial numbers and original scopes that had been deactivated was enough to make you weep, many looked as though they had come out of arsenal storage, been bought and then butchered straightaway.It isn't as if they'd be shot-out with knackered bores, they wouldn't have been refurb'd if they were and an original sniper with a shot-out barrel is rare as in service they tended not to fire anywhere near the number of rounds as a standard infantry rifle would.

And the "AK-47"* in the Gunstar listing is an AKM pattern and was made 16 years after the last Type 3 Avomat Kalashnikova was built!Why do people insist on calling every AK variant an "AK-47"??? aaarggh .And the only thing remotely "Vietnam" about it is the fact it was made in the year the Vietnam War ended!.Russia didn't supply the Vietcong/NVA with the AKM, but they did supply old stocks of the original AK (what we in the West know as the "AK-47") and China supplied them with the Type-56 rifle.

The original AK variants prior to 1959 were only ever known as the Avomat Kalashnikova in the USSR, the "47" bit was added by the West, the same as they only called the Mosin Nagant a Vintovka Mosina (rifle of Mosin), they never use the "Nagant" bit!.
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
The Gun Pimp

#5 Post by The Gun Pimp »

I couldn't agree more - de-acting should be a crime for matching numbers historic stuff!
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#6 Post by GeeRam »

The Gun Pimp wrote:I couldn't agree more - de-acting should be a crime for matching numbers historic stuff!
I know of mint, all matching real No.4T sniper that's has been de-act, and several mint bore No.5's that have been de-act.....and relatively recently :cry:
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#7 Post by snayperskaya »

A few years back I found an ad for an Imperial1895-dated Sestroryetsk made M91 Mosin that was all original numbers matching, with the original rear sight etc that hadn't been Finnish captured or Arsenal refurb'd.....and at the end of the ad it said "deactivated to latest spec"!!!! ****

It was pretty much the Mosin equivalent of the Holy Grail/Ark of the Covenant/Unicorn pee and some muppet had deactivated it!!! :cry:
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
Hunter87

#8 Post by Hunter87 »

The Gun Pimp wrote:
Hunter87 wrote:I seriously believe deact dealers are deluded if they think they can still get the best part of £700 for an EU spec (completely welded solid Paper weight)

I suggest you have a read of https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... u-20152403 Add to that work the original cost of the firearm, reproofing and profit - it's not an easy way to get rich.
I’m not against anyone making money but when you go from a fully moving and strippable rifle to a welded solid lump and still expect to charge the same for it then there is something wrong there and I will point it out.
450 Martini
Home club or Range: Swadlincote RPC

#9 Post by 450 Martini »

I think the deactivation of anything which can be held on section 1 is a loss to history, but there are times when they are sadly necessary.
On some of the films i have worked on we have dozens to hundreds of extras who need to be armed and some are not the brightest sparks in the world. The level of supervision needed to give them each a live section 1 or 5 firearm even without the presence of ammunition is just not practical even on the biggest budgets. In the age of HD TV Plastic or Denix type replicas are really noticeable except in long shots, so we have to use deacts for realism and safety.
Sim G
Past Supporter

#10 Post by Sim G »

It was at the Phoenix a couple of years back where some bright spark had deactivated s58 guns!
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!