GRCF Scope recommendations

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Pinguino
Home club or Range: Bisley

GRCF Scope recommendations

#1 Post by Pinguino »

Just a quick Q.

Any recommendations for a good quality scope for use on an under lever for Gallery Rifle?
sclg
Site Supporter 2019
Home club or Range: Pipers Shooting Club

Re: GRCF Scope recommendations

#2 Post by sclg »

I have a Hawke Vantage 4-12x40 on my Henry which I am very happy with.
Not expensive but works fine. A fifth of the cost of the Vortex I have on my .308 but I just don't see the point of spending that sort of money on a gallery rifle which you're usually using at 25 or 50 yds!!
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#3 Post by Alpha1 »

Why would you want to scope a gallery rifle to shoot at 25 yards.
sclg
Site Supporter 2019
Home club or Range: Pipers Shooting Club

#4 Post by sclg »

Alpha1 wrote:Why would you want to scope a gallery rifle to shoot at 25 yards.
Failing eyesight. Hard to cope with iron sights with varifocals!
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#5 Post by Alpha1 »

sclg wrote:
Alpha1 wrote:Why would you want to scope a gallery rifle to shoot at 25 yards.
Failing eyesight. Hard to cope with iron sights with varifocals!
Yep that's a good enough reason. I feel your pain luckily I am right eye dominant. I have a history of eyesight problems. Currently, I'm working on one eye my left eye has failed. (again) I'm waiting to see my eye person to see if it can be rectified. If I was left eye dominant my shooting days would be over. Hence I am totally over the top with eye protection when shooting or at work. If I am on the lathe be it either a metalwork lathe or wood lathe I don't just use safety glasses I also use a full face shield.
Daryll
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

#6 Post by Daryll »

As sclg said, something cheap is fine... I used to use a Hawke 3-9 x 40 for 25yds on T&P and Phoenix A.

Have it at x9 for 25yds, then zoom out as you get closer.
Gh0st
Home club or Range: FDPC

#7 Post by Gh0st »

depends how competitive you are. if your picking out the X ring at 50 then you may require more mag.

I run a pair of 5-15x50 on both my underlever and 10/22.

However i shot them both out to 100 the other day and higher mag would have been great. The higher the mag tho the more limited you are for choice as not many high mag scopes focus from 10m. Another thing to consider is if you want tactical turrets so you can dial in for each distance or aim on the reticule accordingly.

and of course.... Budget! like all things shooting related its how much you can afford to spend. Im looking at changing my scopes to something with more mag especially for the .22.
All views expressed are my own unless otherwise stated! So please take your time to consider my opinions as biased to what i think is best....

http://www.bulletsandpixels.co.uk www.fdpc.org.uk
Pinguino

#8 Post by Pinguino »

Thank you gentlemen - yes my eyesight ain't too great either

thankssign
Sim G
Past Supporter

#9 Post by Sim G »

Scopes used to be a definite case of you got what you paid for. That is not the case anymore and there are some great optics out there for very reasonable money.

Firstly, don't buy too much magnification! To many people suffer with using scopes because of this. For gallery rifle low end magnification such as a 3-9 is more than adequate. I actually prefer lower.

Secondly, don't get too large an objective! Again, people seem to. The better quality your glass and you don't have to have a larger objective to get light gathering properties. Sendondly with that, lever guns are designed to be shot with irons, so their stock designs don't lend towards optics. Higher you have to mount that large objective, the more your face will lift of that stock and you'll have to consider an aftermarket caked piece for decent cheek weld.

I would go Leupold. Their Freedom range offer superior scopes to the like of Hawke, most definitely and you get a top optics company pedigree.

My choice would be the 2-7x33. It's less than 250 quid! I used their old version of this, the Rifleman for years. You won't be disappointed.

https://www.uttings.co.uk/p130333-leupo ... LmtTRrTWhA
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Pinguino

#10 Post by Pinguino »

Thank you Sim G - will deffo give them a look