No licence required for ak47's

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
JohnASmith97
Home club or Range: Southampton University

Re: No licence required for ak47's

#11 Post by JohnASmith97 »

daman wrote:Home Office are actively considering the Miniature Rifle Range exemption and may look to change or get rid of the 11/4 exemption certificates.

This would be terrible for many small clubs, and could force some long established clubs to close.

It is mainly down to the irresponsible antics of a particular Essex establishment being broadcast across social media..
I don't know how much of an effect it will have on clubs these days, since police forces, at least in my experience, are not overly happy with the use of the Section 11 exemption to buy firearms, and RFDs aren't happy to allow it to purchase ammunition. We've used it once to buy a rifle and got a bit of a bollocking from the police for it, and I've only found one RFD that has been willing to accept it. We have since decided to not request one from the NSRA as for us at least no good can come of having it. I guess other clubs are in different situations though.
safetyfirst
Past Supporter

#12 Post by safetyfirst »

I know a few clubs that use it to allow try shoots, get people into the sport, run all sorts of things for people with no FAC

It’s an important bit of legislation that lets people see if they like shooting and it would be a great shame to lose it.
Christel
Site Admin

#13 Post by Christel »

Just looked at the link, is it common these days that journalists do not give their name when writing an article?
walesdave

#14 Post by walesdave »

Had a reply to my email....
"Dear Mr xxxxxxx
Re https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... earms.html
Thank you for your email and for bringing this matter to our attention.
I can confirm the article has now been amended to take into account the points you raise. "
Now just to get the rest of the cr@p article changed.....
daman
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: HRPC, NRA, BASC, BDS, Larbert, UKPSA

#15 Post by daman »

safetyfirst wrote:I know a few clubs that use it to allow try shoots, get people into the sport, run all sorts of things for people with no FAC

It’s an important bit of legislation that lets people see if they like shooting and it would be a great shame to lose it.
Exactly. Without it getting new people started becomes big chore.
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#16 Post by Alpha1 »

One of my clubs is a registered miniature rifle club.
Blair_Mc

#17 Post by Blair_Mc »

Why is it that when a terrorist drives into a crowd with a lorry no one calls for lorries to be banned? but mention the word gun and the ban hammer comes out faster than a speeding bullet?
I spend lots of money putting holes in paper.
IainWR
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#18 Post by IainWR »

Alpha1 wrote:One of my clubs is a registered miniature rifle club.
Interesting. What's the organisation that controls registration?
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#19 Post by Blackstuff »

Blair_Mc wrote:Why is it that when a terrorist drives into a crowd with a lorry no one calls for lorries to be banned? but mention the word gun and the ban hammer comes out faster than a speeding bullet?
Its simple, most people have everyday experience in the usefulness/'worth' of trucks and are therefore willing to accept that they can be misused. They don't have the same experience with guns and the 'experience' most have is seeing only their misuse by criminals and the utterly biased reporting in our gutter rags of newspapers. Because they can't understand the worth of guns/shooting they're therefore willing to sacrifice it, especially when they're erroneously being promised it will make them safer by people who are supposed to be acting in their interest i.e. politicians and senior police.
DVC
Chapuis

#20 Post by Chapuis »

IainWR wrote:
Alpha1 wrote:One of my clubs is a registered miniature rifle club.
Interesting. What's the organisation that controls registration?
A very good question Iain. :good: