No licence required for ak47's

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Chapuis

Re: No licence required for ak47's

#21 Post by Chapuis »

safetyfirst wrote:I know a few clubs that use it to allow try shoots, get people into the sport, run all sorts of things for people with no FAC

It’s an important bit of legislation that lets people see if they like shooting and it would be a great shame to lose it.
+1.
Site Supporter Since 2015

#22 Post by 1066 »

Chapuis wrote:
IainWR wrote:
Alpha1 wrote:One of my clubs is a registered miniature rifle club.
Interesting. What's the organisation that controls registration?
A very good question Iain. :good:
The Advantages of Operating under Section 11(4) are:

1. You do not have to conform to Home Office criteria
2. You do not have to accept the restrictions placed on any Firearms Certificate and therefore you would not have to wait for a variation before buying a new gun
3. Any sale of ammunition or firearms has to be face to face except where there is no need to enter the transaction into a FAC (1997 Firearms Amendment Act).

With the agreement of the Home Office in the early 1990s the Showmans' Guild of Great Britain and the NSRA were allowed to issue exemption certificates. This means that a club representative can visit our shop or any other and obtain his requirements. Section 8(2)a of the 1968 Act states that it is not an offence for a person to 'part with the possession of any firearms or ammunition, otherwise than in pursuance of a contract of sale or hire or by way of gift or loan, to that person who shows that he is by virtue of this Act entitled to have possession of the firearms or ammunition without holding a certificate." This certificate 'shows' that entitlement. Logically proof must be required.
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
IainWR
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#23 Post by IainWR »

1066 wrote:
IainWR wrote:
Alpha1 wrote:One of my clubs is a registered miniature rifle club.
Interesting. What's the organisation that controls registration?
The Advantages of Operating under Section 11(4) are:

1. You do not have to conform to Home Office criteria
2. You do not have to accept the restrictions placed on any Firearms Certificate and therefore you would not have to wait for a variation before buying a new gun
3. Any sale of ammunition or firearms has to be face to face except where there is no need to enter the transaction into a FAC (1997 Firearms Amendment Act).

With the agreement of the Home Office in the early 1990s the Showmans' Guild of Great Britain and the NSRA were allowed to issue exemption certificates. This means that a club representative can visit our shop or any other and obtain his requirements. Section 8(2)a of the 1968 Act states that it is not an offence for a person to 'part with the possession of any firearms or ammunition, otherwise than in pursuance of a contract of sale or hire or by way of gift or loan, to that person who shows that he is by virtue of this Act entitled to have possession of the firearms or ammunition without holding a certificate." This certificate 'shows' that entitlement. Logically proof must be required.
Yes, indeed, but who operates a register of registered miniature rifle clubs? What if anything sets a requirement to register? And what are the rights and obligations arising from being on the register - as distinct from those arising from the legislation itself?
RDC

#24 Post by RDC »

Sounds like it's the NSRA that keep the register?
Chapuis

#25 Post by Chapuis »

From what I have read previously the certificates issued by the showman's guild and the NSRA actually have no legal standing. That's why I was interested in hearing the answer to that question.

If my understanding of the situation is correct all these certificates confirm is either membership of the guild (a trade association) or affiliation to the NSRA.
Site Supporter Since 2015

#26 Post by 1066 »

TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
IainWR
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#28 Post by IainWR »

OK, I've read that. It does not use the words "registered miniature rifle club" anywhere.
safetyfirst
Past Supporter

#29 Post by safetyfirst »

Blackstuff wrote:
Blair_Mc wrote:Why is it that when a terrorist drives into a crowd with a lorry no one calls for lorries to be banned? but mention the word gun and the ban hammer comes out faster than a speeding bullet?
Its simple, most people have everyday experience in the usefulness/'worth' of trucks and are therefore willing to accept that they can be misused. They don't have the same experience with guns and the 'experience' most have is seeing only their misuse by criminals and the utterly biased reporting in our gutter rags of newspapers. Because they can't understand the worth of guns/shooting they're therefore willing to sacrifice it, especially when they're erroneously being promised it will make them safer by people who are supposed to be acting in their interest i.e. politicians and senior police.
I’d humbly suggest that Hollywood is the real
Culprit here. 99% of guns people see are used on tv to kill.
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#30 Post by snayperskaya »

safetyfirst wrote:
Blackstuff wrote:
Blair_Mc wrote:Why is it that when a terrorist drives into a crowd with a lorry no one calls for lorries to be banned? but mention the word gun and the ban hammer comes out faster than a speeding bullet?
Its simple, most people have everyday experience in the usefulness/'worth' of trucks and are therefore willing to accept that they can be misused. They don't have the same experience with guns and the 'experience' most have is seeing only their misuse by criminals and the utterly biased reporting in our gutter rags of newspapers. Because they can't understand the worth of guns/shooting they're therefore willing to sacrifice it, especially when they're erroneously being promised it will make them safer by people who are supposed to be acting in their interest i.e. politicians and senior police.
I’d humbly suggest that Hollywood is the real
Culprit here. 99% of guns people see are used on tv to kill.
When you think about it years ago marksmanship and shooting was encouraged, many schools and colleges etc had shooting clubs, pubs and social clubs had bell target leagues, and you could order guns out of the Great Universal catalogue so to a certain extent guns were more common shall we say but that has all changed.I can remember me and my mates going down the local fields and shooting tin cans etc with air rifles and no one ever batted an eyelid, including the local Bobby, but you wouldn't be able to do it today.

Nowadays the average person in the UK has sucj a negative view of guns, and gun owners, due to the often sensationalised negative press and the widely reported criminal use of guns, but I think that in some respects we as shooters haven't necessarily helped the situation by being more often than not very secretive about the fact that we shoot at all.Obviously there is the need to be security conscious when it comes to being a gun owner but it seems we almost lurk in the shadows so to speak and not enough is done to promote the various shooting disciplines and to promote the positives of shooting and to show that people who shoot are infact decent law-abiding people of all ages and from all walks of life and that we are not actually "nutters that own guns" which is one I've heard someone say.
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!