What are your shooting goals this year...?

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Daryll
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

Re: What are your shooting goals this year...?

#31 Post by Daryll »

Thanks Racalman...

It sounds like you're pretty much identical to me.... I have a left dominant eye, but mine is Okish for distance at the moment, just age related problems at reading distance, so I wear reading glasses.
My right (shooting eye) has the cataracts, and I'm planning on getting a distance lens in so it (should) match my left eye for distance work... and just use glasses for reading..
Racalman
Home club or Range: LPSC and NRA

#32 Post by Racalman »

Daryll wrote:Thanks Racalman...

It sounds like you're pretty much identical to me.... I have a left dominant eye, but mine is Okish for distance at the moment, just age related problems at reading distance, so I wear reading glasses.
My right (shooting eye) has the cataracts, and I'm planning on getting a distance lens in so it (should) match my left eye for distance work... and just use glasses for reading..
If you do that, bear in mind that you will need glasses to see the turrets on your scope and for driving (to see the dashboard instruments). While you can keep a pair of bifocal or varifocal glasses in the car it's a pain having to put them on when shooting.

That's why I went for my solution. My binocular distance vision is well in excess of 6/6 and I can see my scope turrets and use my smartphone ballistic software all without glasses.
jimbo303

#33 Post by jimbo303 »

Enjoying and learning the tricks and skills to shoot Winchester 73 in 20" barrel.

Been something I have tried over the years and developed that darned itch that needed scratching ! Looking forward to trying 38 and 357 and establishing whch performs best in the rifle and reloading and fine tuning loads etc. I can see a few months of a lot of smiling and devoted range time ahead......

J
Ncb2734
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: Spires rifle and pistol - Classic and Historic - NRA

#34 Post by Ncb2734 »

Master the dark art of reloading
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#35 Post by Alpha1 »

Racalman wrote:
Daryll wrote:Thanks Racalman...

If you do that, bear in mind that you will need glasses to see the turrets on your scope and for driving (to see the dashboard instruments). While you can keep a pair of bifocal or varifocal glasses in the car it's a pain having to put them on when shooting.

That's why I went for my solution. My binocular distance vision is well in excess of 6/6 and I can see my scope turrets and use my smartphone ballistic software all without glasses.
I have distant lenses in both eyes, unfortunately, my left eye has gone wrong so it's like looking through a thick fog I have very poor vision in that eye. My right eye is Ok and I have no problems reading my car dashboard without glasses. All though I'm assured I should really be not be driving.

Cataract surgery is not the be all and end all it works in the short term but be aware there can be problems later on. I have had cataracts removed from both eyes and the lenses replaced with distance lenses.
I had a detached retina reattached in the right eye to prevent me from going blind in the right eye. My vision has been great for a number of years but now the lenses are clouding up. The lens sits in a sac they cut into the sac and remove the lens then insert a new lens normally the cut heals but some times it leaves debris behind and over time it grows its a lot like a double glazing unit misting up. When this happens it cuts the light off getting to the back off the eye and you are back to square one. On the waiting list to be sorted in the meantime your sight is worse than when you had cataracts.
The solution is to cut a hole in the center of the sac the lens sits in to let the light through to the back of the eye. Not major surgery but you have to really need to have it done and of course, it depends on your age.
Why should they fix my eyesight I'm old and won't live much longer.
So, for now, I will stumble about until they decide Im not going to die any time soon and fix it.
Racalman
Home club or Range: LPSC and NRA

#36 Post by Racalman »

Alpha1 wrote:
I have distant lenses in both eyes, unfortunately, my left eye has gone wrong so it's like looking through a thick fog I have very poor vision in that eye. My right eye is Ok and I have no problems reading my car dashboard without glasses. All though I'm assured I should really be not be driving.

Cataract surgery is not the be all and end all it works in the short term but be aware there can be problems later on. I have had cataracts removed from both eyes and the lenses replaced with distance lenses.
I had a detached retina reattached in the right eye to prevent me from going blind in the right eye. My vision has been great for a number of years but now the lenses are clouding up. The lens sits in a sac they cut into the sac and remove the lens then insert a new lens normally the cut heals but some times it leaves debris behind and over time it grows its a lot like a double glazing unit misting up. When this happens it cuts the light off getting to the back off the eye and you are back to square one. On the waiting list to be sorted in the meantime your sight is worse than when you had cataracts.
The solution is to cut a hole in the center of the sac the lens sits in to let the light through to the back of the eye. Not major surgery but you have to really need to have it done and of course, it depends on your age.
Why should they fix my eyesight I'm old and won't live much longer.
So, for now, I will stumble about until they decide Im not going to die any time soon and fix it.
Perhaps we should start a cataract thread :D

Sorry to hear about your problems. Eyes are not really designed to be serviceable items but it's amazing what can be fixed these days.

I had my cataracts removed two years ago, and the left eye started clouding after about 18 months. I had the procedure to cut the hole last week (it's called a YAG capsulotomy, takes 5 minutes, is totally painless and an instant cure).
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#37 Post by Ovenpaa »

The cloudiness with cataracts is usually sorted by laser and takes a couple of minutes or so. Lincolnshire waiting time for the work is not long at all.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
bobbob
Site Supporter Since 2016

#38 Post by bobbob »

bnz41 wrote:Our shooting has taken another route & interest this year so will want to improve this over the years ahead.
As bnz said. gunlike

Pistols.JPG
P1010838.JPG
Police Positive..JPG
Never say something in Cyberspace you can't say Face to Face!!

Type a message, post your news,
Disagree with other members' views;
But please, do have some decorum,
When debating on the Full-Bore Forum.
AL8

#39 Post by AL8 »

nice collection bobbob
Dellboy
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: Star Shooting Club

#40 Post by Dellboy »

bobbob wrote:
bnz41 wrote:Our shooting has taken another route & interest this year so will want to improve this over the years ahead.
As bnz said. gunlike

Pistols.JPG
P1010838.JPG
Police Positive..JPG

Bisley ?
2020 GOOD DEALS WITH

Cutch Vortex Scope
Mauserbill Enfield Books

Enjoy today as tomorrow might not come .

Noli pati a scelestis opprimi.