Simple spooting scope system

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
TomH
Site Supporter Since 2017
Home club or Range: ORPC

Re: Simple spooting scope system

#11 Post by TomH »

dromia wrote:This has prompted me to do something that I have avoided doing for ages.

I have that camera that came with some tuned scales that Allan did for me but never set up as I had nothing handy to see the image on when powder dispensing.

So I have just ordered a cheap tablet that should do the job without taking over me work space. Provided I can get the damn things to work. Electric string, digital appliances and a touch screen, the very stuff nightmares are made off.

Just need the printed fitting to fit it to a scope, over to you Allan.
Bang goes your luddite credentials Dromia. lol
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#12 Post by dromia »

As per usual with anything digital it will no doubt turn into another unmitigated disaster.

I'm not a luddite, I am quiet happy to embrace new technology but only when it works, does what it says on the tin without eternal netty searching trying to find out why it doesn't work and doesn't leave me feeling that once again I have been shafted.

Hells teeth they cannot even make new light bulbs that work nowadays, they are 100% energy efficient all right as you dare not turn them on lest you have a fit.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Site Supporter Since 2015

#13 Post by 1066 »

Well I tried it today at 50 yards. (Cold, grey, wet and windy) The system works perfectly but the scope really wasn't up to the job. I bought this little compact scope particularly for 10m air pistol shooting because is focuses down to about 15 feet (and it was cheap, currently £42) With the camera and tablet for that use, it's perfect.

At 50 yards on the mushy brown fig 11 type targets it was just about OK, I could see .357 holes but not .22's. Without the camera, just looking through the scope it was the same, I couldn't make out .22 holes. I know it would be better with a better scope, I tried it with a couple of other scopes and could see the potential but my printed eyepiece adapter didn't fit to give it a proper test on a better scope.

Yes, I can print the eyepiece adapter and camera fitting without too much trouble - the problem is getting a sliding fit just by measurement, 3d printed stuff spreads and contracts so it's a bit "suck it and see". I will need to make up some sort of collet that has a little leeway of a mm or so.

I think this system has great potential, it's certainly much easier to use than peeping through a scope after each shot, even for prone 25 rifle shooting, having the screen in sight you don't need to change position at all.

I also found it handy to use the clock function on the tablet as a countdown timer when doing timed strings. With the tablet you can also record the shots as a video or save the screen shots as photos.

I also have an app on the tablet that will score cards with reasonable reliability. Of course you can also have your ballistic calculator on the tablet too.

So - next move is to design a more forgiving eyepiece adapter and try the system on a better scope.
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#14 Post by dromia »

Just out of curiosity to day I hooked the little camera, same as the one you are using Allan, to my PC.

The focal distance was very close at around 1-2 inches, anything beyond that was blur, is that the nature of these cameras?

It is no doubt fine for this particular application but it the images still looked very blurry and grainy, not as clear as it appears on your photos.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad

Fecking stones

Cow's farts matter!

dromia
Site Admin

#15 Post by dromia »

BTW I run Linux and was using Cheese webcam software.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad

Fecking stones

Cow's farts matter!

#16 Post by 1066 »

Ahh! - I use those cameras especially for that feature :) The focus is adjustable, to get the camera to focus right down to a couple of inches for use on the scales I unscrew the lens about a turn or so. You will need to screw it in a bit. It may be stiff but it has a normal right hand thread.

On the other hand you may need to screw it out a little more if you are going to use it with the scope. It's a bit of trial and error but once you have a good mounting for the scope it's much easier. Don't forget that you may need to refocus the scope too once you have the camera mounted.
TARGETMASTER
www.targetmasteruk.com
dromia
Site Admin

#17 Post by dromia »

Thanks, it is stiff to turn, suppose it needs to be to stay at the setting, put a bit more oomph into it and it has started to move.

These things are so fragile I tend to be a bit leery about twisting things.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad

Fecking stones

Cow's farts matter!

Dellboy
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: Star Shooting Club

#18 Post by Dellboy »

so could you use this with a normal scope ?
2020 GOOD DEALS WITH

Cutch Vortex Scope
Mauserbill Enfield Books

Enjoy today as tomorrow might not come .

Noli pati a scelestis opprimi.

Triffid
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Wey Valley

#19 Post by Triffid »

Hi Alan,
I've got a slightly better quality scope and one of the Targetmaster camera's. How much would it cost to 'print' me one of your adaptors? The eyepiece is 49.5mm diameter . . call it 50mm plus a bit of tape.
Happy to provide feedback and/or meet up at Bisley for a trial if that suits.

Triffid

#20 Post by 1066 »

It looks as if a better scope will do the trick. This was taken through a better scope (not quality glass by any means. £99 Aldi special) The scope is 25-75 x 80. This was taken at lowest mag at 62 yards.
TARGETMASTER
www.targetmasteruk.com