50 cal ban dropped?

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

50 cal ban dropped?

#1 Post by Pete »

"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
Gazza

Re: 50 cal ban dropped?

#2 Post by Gazza »

Excellent :good:
Its about time we pushed to get our handguns back too teanews
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#3 Post by dromia »

What about the MARs and lever release, are they the sacrifice for the 50 being dropped?

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Rarms
Past Supporter

#4 Post by Rarms »

dromia wrote:What about the MARs and lever release, are they the sacrifice for the 50 being dropped?
I would assume its because the fifty cal association put together a proper lobby, and BASC probably just nodded and agreed with the ban!
Fedaykin
Home club or Range: Cawdor

#5 Post by Fedaykin »

I don't think it is the case that MARS and Lever Release are the sacrifice Quid Pro Quo to save 50 cal dromia.

It is clear that that the Police and the Home Office were keen on banning the 50 cal as well, it is only some rather unique parliamentary arithmetic along with some pretty targeted lobbying of MP's that saved the day this time. I fear it is at best a stay of execution as NABIS, Continuity ACPO and our old friend Mark Groothuis who is now the national firearms licensing liaison officer for counter-terrorism policing thought they nearly had it in the bag this time and will certainly start lobbying again when parliamentary numbers favour a chance at the outcome they want.

The chances for MARS and Lever release are slim, their one chance at being saved might well be any legislation being problematic for hunting rifles with Auto ejectors but that could be worded around in the legislation. To be honest MARS and Lever release were literally designed to skirt around legislation that was already poorly written. Things were not helped by idiots putting up videos on Youtube showing them being rapidly discharged. The final nail was the Charlie Hebdo attack where the terrorists used reactivated Sa VZ.58 which were then associated by parties interested in a ban as the same as the MARS rifle.

I don't approve of any ban but I wouldn't hold my breath about saving MARS and Lever release.
I am Arthur Frayn, and I am Zardoz.
I have lived 300 years...

I am immortal.
I present now my story,
full of mystery and intrigue,
rich in irony, and most satirical.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#6 Post by dromia »

As always division and indifference drives the persecution of gun ownership in the UK.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

#7 Post by kennyc »

Rarms wrote:
dromia wrote:What about the MARs and lever release, are they the sacrifice for the 50 being dropped?
I would assume its because the fifty cal association put together a proper lobby, and BASC probably just nodded and agreed with the ban!
Damn! and there was me thinking BASC had been lobbying members to fight the ban for at least a year now ? just goes to show eh?
ordnance

#8 Post by ordnance »

Something to thank the Northern Ireland politicians for, we are still shooting handguns here because they opposed the ban extending to N/I.
The ban was intended to apply to rifles with a power of “over 13,600 joules at the muzzle”. It was also opposed by the DUP, which is supposed to be supporting May’s government, and the Labour MP Kate Hoey.
Lancs Lad
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Diggle / Altcar and anywhere else that will have me.

#9 Post by Lancs Lad »

Rarms wrote:

This!

The 50 cal group were focused on what needed to be done and put forward an excellent argument supported by evidence. The Mars release group's argument was however, very weak in comparison. National unity in the shooting community disciplines has never been our strong point and the 50 cal group knew this, which is why they made it very clear from the start that they would only fight their own corner. I certainly don't blame them for this stance.
As has been stated, the Mars release type firearms were designed to sidestep around the current legislation and when they first appeared I rather thought that they were sailing just a bit too close to the wind. Subsequent video clips on utube etc do nothing to placate these concerns and lets face it, sport and target shooting has enough enemies in this country as it is without handing them gifts like this.

Just my opinion of course.

LL
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#10 Post by Mattnall »

I believe there is an amendment or clarification of wording that separates MARS from LR.

Something about using the trigger only to reload.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.