Proof House.... Sneaky Ba$tards!!!

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Sim G
Past Supporter

Proof House.... Sneaky Ba$tards!!!

#1 Post by Sim G »

So looking at a couple of new rifles on a dealers shelf, I noticed a very subtle change in the position of proof marks on the barrel. Right near the muzzle on a barrel not screw cut!!!

Spiteful!
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

Re: Proof House.... Sneaky Ba$tards!!!

#2 Post by kennyc »

Sim G wrote:So looking at a couple of new rifles on a dealers shelf, I noticed a very subtle change in the position of proof marks on the barrel. Right near the muzzle on a barrel not screw cut!!!

Spiteful!
yup and if you look at the screwcut barrels they are stamped right next to the thread, its called protecting your income stream :p
safetyfirst
Past Supporter

#3 Post by safetyfirst »

They have clearly decided that there’s a lot of barrel shortening going on and they want those rifles re-proofed.

Are you supposed to re-proof if you alter the barrel by screwcutting or shortening?

What are the rules around this subject?

Interesting thread!
kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

#4 Post by kennyc »

safetyfirst wrote:They have clearly decided that there’s a lot of barrel shortening going on and they want those rifles re-proofed.

Are you supposed to re-proof if you alter the barrel by screwcutting or shortening?

What are the rules around this subject?

Interesting thread!
the proof house say you must reproof if you screwcut the barrel, they have been proved wrong in court (see Jackson rifles case) however they persist in their view, of course they would wouldn't they ? strangely the most litigious country in the world has no proof requirements, as indeed have most other countries that don't have a historically based monopoly holder with the ear of government.
Born Again
Home club or Range: Penrhiwpal SC

#5 Post by Born Again »

It seems silly to stamp a mark on part of the barrel that is not only the thinnest and most easily damaged, but also critical for accuracy.
RDC

#6 Post by RDC »

Born Again wrote:It seems silly to stamp a mark on part of the barrel that is not only the thinnest and most easily damaged, but also critical for accuracy.
Some would argue that the method of proof is also silly.
MistAgain

#7 Post by MistAgain »

They been stamping the muzzle ends for some time now .

If its an older rifle with no proof mark at the muzzle , it can be threaded or even shortened without being reproofed .

But if you remove the proof mark by threading or shortening you have to get it reproofed simply because you have removed a proofmark , and thats naughty !

Clever fuggers arnt they .
Egg on Leggs1
Home club or Range: Kings Heath Rifle Club

#8 Post by Egg on Leggs1 »

It also removes the history of the barrel.
Site Supporter Since 2015

#9 Post by 1066 »

Even if it was considered necessary to reproof when shortening a barrel, it would only apply if you were to sell the rifle.
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
Sim G
Past Supporter

#10 Post by Sim G »

Thing is, there’s a lot of ‘smiths out there who after shortening/screw cutting won’t “transfer” the rifle back to you until re-proofed should a mark be removed. My last rifle I had cut was the case and the dealer where I saw these said exactly the same.

Despite viable counter-argument, they’re not up for not going full belt and braces with proof...
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!