Royal Mail/Parcelforce

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Grizzly

Royal Mail/Parcelforce

#1 Post by Grizzly »

I understand as a private seller I can send a sporting firearm section 1 or 2 to an RFD via Royal Mail. But Parcel force only handle for RFD accounts.

Take the average rifle size. Wouldn't that be too large for Royal Mail anyway and force a private seller to be unable to use either? Or am I missing something?
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Royal Mail/Parcelforce

#2 Post by Ovenpaa »

There is a bit of a problem in that Royal Mail will take the parcel. If it is too big Royal Mail automatically ship with Parcel Force, however they default to PF 48 hour and PF are not allowed to ship firearms on a 48 hour service.

:)
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Grizzly

#3 Post by Grizzly »

Ovenpaa wrote:There is a bit of a problem in that Royal Mail will take the parcel. If it is too big Royal Mail automatically ship with Parcel Force, however they default to PF 48 hour and PF are not allowed to ship firearms on a 48 hour service.

Thanks Ovenpaa. So if I request a 24hr service with royal mail I should be ok. It's confusing that they have two different policies for non rfd's yet one ends up using the other.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#4 Post by Ovenpaa »

Nope, you cannot do that either as you are not an RFD so you cannot directly use PF. The Viking knows a bit more about this so hopefully she can comment.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#5 Post by dromia »

Royal Mail will not deliver parcels over 3' in length, they use parcel farce for over 3' items.

However parcel farce will not ship firearms unless you have a firearms account with them (RFDs) and then they must go AM secure.

So if the firearm is over 3' then it will have to go via an RFD.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Christel
Site Admin

#6 Post by Christel »

You as a private person can't use PF to ship, either service.

The parcel dimension below is what you can ship with RM as an individual to an RFD.

Medium Parcels not exceeding: Length: 61cm
Width: 46cm Depth: 46cm Weight limit: 20kg

Make sure the parcel is trackable.

The RFD can get it picked up from your address using PF.
Grizzly

#7 Post by Grizzly »

Ok got it. Thanks all much appreciated.
MistAgain

#8 Post by MistAgain »

As I understand it , you can take your sect 1 or 2 item to a Parcelforce depot for next day shipping to an RFD .

If an RFD uses his account to arrange collection from you , its a remote collection and it costs more .

You would have to give the dealer the weight of your parcel , and of course remain at your address all day , or till it gets collected .
Grizzly

#9 Post by Grizzly »

Ovenpaa wrote:There is a bit of a problem in that Royal Mail will take the parcel. If it is too big Royal Mail automatically ship with Parcel Force, however they default to PF 48 hour and PF are not allowed to ship firearms on a 48 hour service.

Ovenpaa, would this mean if I opted for an RFD collection by Parcelforce at my home that rules out Saturday collection. As this would end up being delivered on Monday

So really only option if over 61cm other than RFD to RFD and face to face is take weekday off work and await collection by RFD'S Parcelforce account?
Grizzly

#10 Post by Grizzly »

MistAgain wrote:As I understand it , you can take your sect 1 or 2 item to a Parcelforce depot for next day shipping to an RFD .

If an RFD uses his account to arrange collection from you , its a remote collection and it costs more .

You would have to give the dealer the weight of your parcel , and of course remain at your address all day , or till it gets collected .
Thanks but I think point 1 has been ruled out for private sellers as Parcelforce only ship for RFD's