Offensive Weapons Bill

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
safetyfirst
Past Supporter

Re: Offensive Weapons Bill

#11 Post by safetyfirst »

pe4king wrote:Now there is a threat to society ffs, again is there any record of an offence taking place regarding this ????
what the f*%# has that got to do with modern firearms legislation?!?

Lately they’ve encouraged the proliferation of handguns by preventing clubs holding them and made it difficult for certificate holders to seek help for mental illness.

Wall->Head
Sim G
Past Supporter

#12 Post by Sim G »

pe4king wrote:Now there is a threat to society ffs, again is there any record of an offence taking place regarding this ????

I’m afraid there is, Kev. Back in March this year a bloke attended the miniature gallery club he was a member of, robbed the proprietor of a .22 rifle and ammo, went round to his ex-mother-in-law and killed her and is estranged wife. Happened in St Leonard’s. Neither the club, nor the proprietor or the killer had any certificates of any kind, if memory serves, all under the auspices of s11...
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
RDC

#13 Post by RDC »

I believe this gentleman has since been shut down. Check the photos of him and his clientele.

https://m.facebook.com/pg/Full-Metal-Ja ... 06/photos/
Sim G
Past Supporter

#14 Post by Sim G »

The point is academic, he walked in and robbed the proprietor of a rifle and ammo. He was known to them. Which is how he was identified so quickly. But the fact remains, it was and still is a club. Not a Home Office approved, it doesn’t need to be, but a club non-the-less...

https://www.1066ts.co.uk/Lane-Hire Scroll down.

MEMBERSHIP
An Annual membership costs £195.00
A Six Month membership costs £125.00
A Monthly membership costs ONLY £30.00

Your membership will entitle you to the following benefits:
Unlimited Lane Hire on Air Rifle, Archery & Crossbow (during off-peak times)
Monday – Friday, 10:00am – 8:00pm
Weekends & Bank Holidays, 10:00am-12:00pm & 6:00pm – 8:00pm
During School Holidays & Half Terms, Weekend Times Apply
10% off Experience Packages
(when booking with groups of 6 or more)
5% off Shop Purchases
Free access to Club Nights.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Sim G
Past Supporter

#15 Post by Sim G »

The reason for the thread is the availability of firearms and ammunition under s11. The 1066 target sports incident unfortunately illustrates perfectly the point the police have made in regards to public safety and s11. They’ve been banging on about it for decades.

Likewise at the time of the murders, there was far more news coverage than the small article you linked.

Sim G
Past Supporter

#16 Post by Sim G »

You need to read the posts before going off half cocked. There was no reference made to 1066 R&PC. There was mention of his club 1066 TS and it was stated that it was a miniature rifle club. I further stated that he was not a member of a HO approved club. And quoting from memory, from information gleaned is how an education is formed.

It appears in your haste to distance 1066 R&PC from 1066 TS you’ve missed the points completely.

And it’s only fair to state that 1066 TS have done nothing wrong either! They operated within the law and the proprietor was robbed, at the point of one of his own guns, by a man who went on to commit a double murder! 1066 TS are also a victim here, not as it seem you are implying, culpable in some way or another.

Furiouspilgrim
Site Supporter 2019
Home club or Range: 49th

#17 Post by Furiouspilgrim »

Nothing stopping that from happening at a HO approved club.
Thorney
Home club or Range: Silverstone Shooting Centre

#18 Post by Thorney »

To be fair it was more of a security issue than a section 11 one in that there was nothing stopping the guy from.just walking out the door with the gun and ammo.

As a comparison we have an air lock system, no one leaves the site without 2 members of staff confirming everything is ok and electronic gate access and exit.
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#19 Post by Blackstuff »

Thorney wrote:To be fair it was more of a security issue than a section 11 one in that there was nothing stopping the guy from.just walking out the door with the gun and ammo.

As a comparison we have an air lock system, no one leaves the site without 2 members of staff confirming everything is ok and electronic gate access and exit.
Does that not automatically open if the fire alarm is pulled? Or are their fire exits within the range area? Or even is the air lock bullet proof? No having a go, its just there are always ways around security, this sort of thing could happen to any club i've been to that has loaner firearms
DVC
toffe wrapper

#20 Post by toffe wrapper »

S11 needs to go it is a exploitable back door to obtaining firearms with out a licence, it also weakens the tracking of said firearms. (They should be tracked cradle to grave) Once passed from RFD to s11 person it has fallen out of the system. How do you track it if for example when its used in a crime years later. The carny will say they lost it, it was nicked and any other load of blarney, if in fact you could trace them.

why should some unchecked fairground person bellowed to buy .22 rifle & ammo when no one else can with out a licence. Clubs can't allow any one off the street to have a go with firearms so why should any one else.
I would also like to add that when ever a fair or other such traveling business is in our town thefts from garages, sheds & cars goes up.
So they are not all upstanding law abiding businessmen.

Below is S11,
A person conducting or carrying on a miniature rifle range (whether for a rifle club or otherwise) or shooting gallery at which no firearms are used other than air weapons or miniature rifles not exceeding ·23 inch calibre may, without holding a certificate, have in his possession, or purchase or acquire, such miniature rifles and ammunition suitable therefor; and any person may, without holding a certificate, use any such rifle and ammunition at such a range or gallery.