Stolen 50 cal.......

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Brian838
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Offa's Dyke.

Re: Stolen 50 cal.......

#31 Post by Brian838 »

Lever357 wrote:
breacher wrote:
Lever357 wrote:I had heard a car was stolen with a .50 cal inside and when the owner was asked to describe the weapon, the police were taken aback by the capabilities of the rifle!

I have also heard from someone in the police that when they do a sweep of an area prior to a visit by an important person, they check within a 600 yard radius of where said person will be. They have recently realised a .50 cal can shoot for two miles and there is no way they could secure an area of that magnatude.
My knowledge is out of date but it used to be 300 yards !

Besides - in UK cities its rare to get a clear line of sight at a range where a .50 would be needed. In open grid pattern modern cities you might but not in our cities with their small twisted streets.

Add to that they simply dont have the resources. Every 100 yards added to the sterile radius means hundreds of possible threats and thousands of police hours required to deal with clearing them.

I reckon a quality drone with a hand grenade or even an IED attached would be a more credible threat than a guy with a .50 unless they have thousands of rounds in training etc
It was a serving officer who told me it is 600 yards. And I think part of the police fear is if a .50 cal fell in to the wrong hands, they have nothing to counter it.
I would be interested to what it is they think they can counter? Then you could argue, if you can counter X this way, Why not Z?
The Event

#32 Post by The Event »

Lever357 wrote:
It was a serving officer who told me it is 600 yards. And I think part of the police fear is if a .50 cal fell in to the wrong hands, they have nothing to counter it.
Perhaps they should buy some .50s of their own and fight fire with fire.
Daryll
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

#33 Post by Daryll »

The Event wrote:
Lever357 wrote:
I think some of them have.... I think it was Bedfordshire or Herts that got some, on the reasoning that the airport in their region (Luton or Stansted, can't remember which) was where suspect aircraft were put, so that wanted somthing to "reach out and touch" across an airport.
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#34 Post by GeeRam »

Daryll wrote:
The Event wrote:
Lever357 wrote:
I think some of them have.... I think it was Bedfordshire or Herts that got some, on the reasoning that the airport in their region (Luton or Stansted, can't remember which) was where suspect aircraft were put, so that wanted somthing to "reach out and touch" across an airport.
Will be Essex Police then, as Stansted is in Essex and is the designated suspect aircraft landing airport - that's why Trump landed there lol
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#35 Post by snayperskaya »

The Event wrote:
Lever357 wrote:
I believe Nottinghamshire police have some as well.......
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
Site Supporter Since 2015

#36 Post by 1066 »

snayperskaya wrote:
The Event wrote:
Lever357 wrote:

I believe Nottinghamshire police have some as well.......
I'm sure they will all have them soon. Anyone in charge of firearms procurement could easily make a case for "needing" a few and it's great fun to have a new bit of kit like that and as much range time and ammunition as you want at taxpayers expense.
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
bnz41
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#37 Post by bnz41 »

taxpayers expense.

They wont have to buy them they just steal the ones legal FAC holders own.... ****
Blackstuff

#38 Post by Blackstuff »

lol Do they really envisage they'll be doing a sniper Vs sniper scenario if someone did start shooting somewhere up with a .50BMG rifle? Would it not be far easier and safety to zero in on their location and attack it with an assault team? One person whose position would become very obvious, very quickly, using an extremely heavy and unweidly 7ft long gun, versus 10-20 blokes with fully mobility and short rapid fire carbines??
DVC
Topic22

#39 Post by Topic22 »

In response to a brief, clear and to the point email, my MP has gone for the cut-n-paste official line:

I believe it is important to remember that these are incredibly powerful weapons which could cause unthinkable public harm if they were to get into the wrong hands. I understand that these guns are more powerful than standard British Army rifles, have a range of several miles and can, with certain ammunition, breach the body armour worm to protect soldiers in combat.

I was particularly concerned to hear that these dangerous weapons have on occasion fallen into the wrong hands. A .50 calibre rifle was stolen from the home of a licensed holder of firearms last year and in another case, a licensed owner of weapons including a .50 calibre rifle was involved in the firearms and ammunition supply chain of an organised crime gang in the West Midlands.

Specific questions I asked? Ignored

Questions I didn't ask? Covered in detail, including ........

I have been assured by Ministers that the Bill will allow bladed products to be sent to a residential address where it is used as a business. This means that a self-employed person operating from their home would still be able to have items delivered.

Even though it felt like a waste of effort, I replied making the obvious points regarding the theft and subsequent recovery of a .50 calibre.

Almost instant auto response saying he hoped to reply within a fortnight! :D

#40 Post by 1066 »

Has there been a direct robust counter reply from NRA, Basc, Bssc, British Shooting etc. to this cut and paste reply from MP's - It would help if we had some exact information and facts to base an argument on.
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com