New laws coming?

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Cj10

Re: New laws coming?

#1361 Post by Cj10 »

toffe wrapper wrote:No point handing them your magazines and brass. Compensation will only be paid for accessories that cannot be used with any other non prohibited firearm.

Is that fact or your own perception,

I have a lot of Glock mags, Brass and other stuff that I got FOC, so should be able recoup some expenditure.
Will be using my compo to help fund a AI AT in 6.5[/quote]

It is fact, based on the relevant wording in the bill, being

“ancillary equipment” means equipment, other than
5prohibited ammunition, which—

(a)is designed or adapted for use in connection with firearms prohibited
by virtue of section 32 or 33, and

(b)has no practicable use in connection with any firearm which is not a
prohibited weapon.

Can your brass be used in firearms which remain legal? I suspect yes, like mine.

Can your magazines be used in other firearms which remain legal? I have a uzi variant lever release, and am unaware of any 9mm section one rifle which uses those, so will be seeking compensation for them. I’m unsure about the Glock, but presume the same.

Ceri
Sixshot6
Home club or Range: Mattersey

#1362 Post by Sixshot6 »

Cj10 wrote:
toffe wrapper wrote:No point handing them your magazines and brass. Compensation will only be paid for accessories that cannot be used with any other non prohibited firearm.

Is that fact or your own perception,

I have a lot of Glock mags, Brass and other stuff that I got FOC, so should be able recoup some expenditure.
Will be using my compo to help fund a AI AT in 6.5
It is fact, based on the relevant wording in the bill, being

prohibited weapon.

Can your brass be used in firearms which remain legal? I suspect yes, like mine.

Can your magazines be used in other firearms which remain legal? I have a uzi variant lever release, and am unaware of any 9mm section one rifle which uses those, so will be seeking compensation for them. I’m unsure about the Glock, but presume the same.

Ceri[/quote]

Not sure who said the last one but straight pulls that use Glock mags are coming bar 45 acp so 9mm Glock mags are out on that. Also Uzi mags, they'd argue those old lever actions Bob did exist possibly even if you can't find one.....
Cj10

#1363 Post by Cj10 »

Fair point on the old style SGC lever release rifles.

I hope the Home Office guidance on how to claim and surrender said items, when written, will give some clarity. It is very clear though there will be no repeat of the generous in financial terms, for me at least, compensation scheme in force in 97 during the handgun surrender.

That said I will be suggesting my detachable front sight cannot be used on any other firearm as it is intended to be mounted on a gas block height rail. I have not seen that on any other uk straight pull ar. My c-more rail sight co-witnesses with that front sight, so I will also be attempting to advance a debate, which states the c-more is worthless without the front sight. Not sure how far I will get, but........

Ceri
toffe wrapper

#1364 Post by toffe wrapper »

I was correct, the bill is one thing the details of compo scheme are not finalised so its perception & interpretation by people.

We will all have to wait and see what we get.
HH1
Home club or Range: PSA

#1365 Post by HH1 »

In regards to the compensation scheme, I read the details from the NRA and it said that guidance would be given as to who might be eligible for compensation......

Perhaps they may have a cut off date for eligibility? I know an RDF who bought a 9mm lever release about a month ago for a cheap price... he's not bothered because he knows he'll make a profit when they pay out comp...... BUT maybe they won't? Maybe they turn round and say "you bought it knowing full well that they were about to be banned"....

I guess we will just have to wait and see.
HALODIN
Home club or Range: Oundle Rifle & Pistol Club

#1366 Post by HALODIN »

There is a cut-off date, it was in the bill IIRC.
Sim G
Past Supporter

#1367 Post by Sim G »

20th of June 2018. Acquired a LR or Mars after that date, you're not eligible.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#1368 Post by Blackstuff »

Can we please try to keep the rumour mill as suppressed as possible. If you're giving your opinion on what might happen please pre-fix it with IMO or similar. If you have links to official documentation/legislation please post them.

AFAIK there are no official details of the compensation scheme released, so all of the posts previous to this relating to compensation are conjecture.
DVC
Cj10

#1369 Post by Cj10 »

Blackstuff wrote:Can we please try to keep the rumour mill as suppressed as possible. If you're giving your opinion on what might happen please pre-fix it with IMO or similar. If you have links to official documentation/legislation please post them.

AFAIK there are no official details of the compensation scheme released, so all of the posts previous to this relating to compensation are conjecture.
Sim G is correct with the date of 20th June 2018, being the point at which you had to either be in possession of , or contracted to buy a firearm prohibited by the Bill. That date is in the Bill. The Bill also makes clear the legal standing for the regulations which will determine compensation for anything other than the firearms themselves, as shown below. A lot will hinge on the definition of practicable .

prohibited weapon.

Ceri
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#1370 Post by Blackstuff »

Exactly and its for the government to determine/interpret that, unfortunately.

In the last couple of pages there have been claims made as to how the legislation is going to be interpreted and even what level of compensation paid, this is conjecture, but it was not framed in that manner or caveated.
DVC