New laws coming?

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Daryll
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

Re: New laws coming?

#1331 Post by Daryll »

Sixshot6 wrote:
Blackstuff wrote:
safetyfirst wrote:Could someone explain the grip cocking thing me?

The pistol grip and trigger guard were hinged at the front and you pushed the grip forward until the heel of the grip would be almost facing the magazine. I don’t think I ever heard a good report in one though :bad:
Bob discontinued the 9mm first and then the 30 carbine version after. I got to shoot the latter and could barely operate it and needed the owners help to do so. I wouldn't wish them on my worst enemy.
I know someone who bought one of the first ones... it spend more time back with SGC getting fixed than it did with the owner...
DavidRees
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: JSPC; Tayside; NRA

#1332 Post by DavidRees »

I had one of the SGC 9mm rifles, with the hinged pistol grip. It worked: some of the time. As a plus, it did not throw cases out the side at high velocity, as these current lever release rifles seem to do. Unfortunately, it was necessary to leave two rounds in the magazine at all times, otherwise it was guaranteed to jam -- leaving the two rounds in the mag were in the instructions from SGC. Sadly, it would jam quite a bit at other times, too, regardless of how many rounds were in the mag...

I eventually took it back to the dealer, who tested it, agreed it was fundamentally faulty, and gave me a full refund.

Funny thing is though, I still miss it. When it worked, it was a beautiful rifle to shoot -- phenomenally accurate. If someone could produce a gun with a similar mechanism which was reliable, preferably in .45ACP, I'd be first in the queue...
Cj10

#1333 Post by Cj10 »

The Offensive Weapons Bill now only needs Royal Assent to become law.

On 10th April the Lords agreed to the Last round of Commons amendments, meaning Parliamentary debate is now complete. The Home Office will now work up the practical considerations around surrender periods, the compensation scheme, etc.

Bye Bye 9mm lever release :(

Ceri
HH1
Home club or Range: PSA

#1334 Post by HH1 »

It will be interesting to see how long it takes..... and if I should bother reloading more 9mm wtf
The Event

#1335 Post by The Event »

HH1 wrote:It will be interesting to see how long it takes..... and if I should bother reloading more 9mm wtf
If you've got the components then load them and shoot them fast as there will almost certainly be no compensation paid for them.
BamBam

#1336 Post by BamBam »

Unless you have something else in 9mm on the horizon to shoot them in...
HH1
Home club or Range: PSA

#1337 Post by HH1 »

BamBam wrote:Unless you have something else in 9mm on the horizon to shoot them in...
Nah, nothing planned.... I already have a Chiappa Rhino LBR in .357 so one in 9mm is not really worthwhile.
Zilberbak
Home club or Range: Cotswold Rifle Club, HBRA, Pipers & DRPC

#1338 Post by Zilberbak »

9mm straight pull on order with North West Custom Parts just waiting on the lowers coming in from the States. Will miss the SGC when it goes as won a few gallery comps with it. Started to reload 9mm but cheap enough to buy factory.
Zilberbak

Vested interest in .22LR .357 9mm .223 .308 7.62x39 & 7.62x54R
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#1339 Post by Blackstuff »

That rifle coming out might have screwed a lot of people out of a lot of compensation if they really are going down the road that any accessory that can be used for another gun won't be included in the scheme
DVC
Cj10

#1340 Post by Cj10 »

Blackstuff wrote:That rifle coming out might have screwed a lot of people out of a lot of compensation if they really are going down the road that any accessory that can be used for another gun won't be included in the scheme
My thoughts exactly. Already made that point to Lantac when they announced their straight pull 9mm. This will be such niche calibre again post lever release, any accessories will be almost worthless from a resale perspective. I do hope the wording of the HO instructions on compensation offer some latitude around the interpretation of the compensation clause in the Bill. I suspect not though.

Ceri