Question for the gun smiths

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

Re: Question for the gun smiths

#61 Post by bradaz11 »

TattooedGun wrote:
Bloody minefield if you ask me.
this is bordering on breaking my old standby; 'Don't ask a question if you don't want to know the answer'

by that, I mean what if they now start trying to actually enforce that bit of law, because its been brought to their attention?
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
TattooedGun
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Dudley Rifle Club, WNSC, UKPSA, Bromsgrove

#62 Post by TattooedGun »

bradaz11 wrote:
TattooedGun wrote:
this is bordering on breaking my old standby; 'Don't ask a question if you don't want to know the answer'

by that, I mean what if they now start trying to actually enforce that bit of law, because its been brought to their attention?
If you've followed the thread, I stated that I didn't really care either way and that shining a light on this particular issue was not my intention, however someone who has one of these devices pushed me to get Home Office stance on the matter. I agree that it's probably been looked over by both FLD's, FEO's and RFD's - and people have been flirting the law, however my stance throughout this was to get people to understand the laws perception on the matter before going with the information of those below them.

In response to your last question:
Then people who have been breaking the law may be in for a shock. But since they have been unregulated so far, it'll be hard to track them down, it'll only really come to light if someone does something else to break the law and then they may decide to prosecute for an unlicensed attachment as-well. Likewise, FEO's who have previously let these things slip by, knowingly or unknowing of that particular law surrounding them, may decide to be a bit tighter on the regulations when doing inspections.
breacher
Home club or Range: EBSC

#63 Post by breacher »

There is NO question about whether flash hiders are controlled.

The issue here is whether the item referred to by the op is a brake or flash hider. They did not answer as its not their job to INTERPRET the law.

That will be done by a court if it ever gets there.
http://www.phoenixtactical.co.uk

RFD 2043 Cambridgeshire
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#64 Post by Mattnall »

TattooedGun wrote:
It looks like the Home Office agree with my understanding of the law, and as such flash hiders require a slot on firearms certificate.
I was under the understanding that such items as these and other 'accessories' that are controlled are done so in a similar manner as primers and shotgun cartridges, in that as long as you have the FAC (or SGC) and a suitable firearm (or slot to acquire same) then that is fine, authority is granted. I have been told I do not need to itemise bolts, carriers, hammers, triggers etc but I cannot sell these to anyone I want.
In my original email to them I did ask specifically about the item involved, however they have given a standard looking response to the question.

I would take this response as them deeming the item to be a flash hider, rather than a muzzle break, but it could be seen as inconclusive on the classification of the item in question as they have not specifically mentioned it at all.

The HO often will not give you a specific, this is for the courts to decide at a later date. I have asked about similar interpretations on a couple of occasions and they are often vague in that they will give their interpretation and offer a general view, I guess that they cannot be sure that they may not be given the full info about the specific item you may inquire about.

Still a bloody minefield.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
TattooedGun
Past Supporter

#65 Post by TattooedGun »

breacher wrote:There is NO question about whether flash hiders are controlled.
There was some question as to how they are controlled.
breacher
Home club or Range: EBSC

#66 Post by breacher »

TattooedGun wrote:
I thought it was accepted that they are controlled in the same manner as sound suppressors - they are certainly lumped together in the legislation.
http://www.phoenixtactical.co.uk

RFD 2043 Cambridgeshire
TattooedGun
Past Supporter

#67 Post by TattooedGun »

breacher wrote:
TattooedGun wrote:
I thought it was accepted that they are controlled in the same manner as sound suppressors - they are certainly lumped together in the legislation.
As is my understanding, however as you can see above mattnall is saying the contrary...
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#68 Post by Ovenpaa »

Mattnall wrote:
I was under the understanding that such items as these and other 'accessories' that are controlled are done so in a similar manner as primers and shotgun cartridges, in that as long as you have the FAC (or SGC) and a suitable firearm (or slot to acquire same) then that is fine, authority is granted. I have been told I do not need to itemise bolts, carriers, hammers, triggers etc but I cannot sell these to anyone I want.
Matt, given that I was an RFD in the same area as you this is interesting, I was told I needed to itemise and record bolts, receivers and action as well as the normal range of things however at no point was any mention of hammers or triggers made nor any guidance on the sale of items not recorded on my register. I was also told to record the Proof status of all firearms and components by Beds and Herts however Lincolnshire said there was no need to continue this column, I will however continue to do so though for my own reference.

It is interesting to see how guidance varies even within county let alone separate parts of the country.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#69 Post by Mattnall »

My initial RFD area was Essex, they didn't require this info being recorded so I didn't.
When I moved to Beds and Herts I have continued in this manner. B+H have never questioned it despite knowing that I have these extra parts in stock.

I think you're right we need a joined up approach to the whole licensing thing, but my worry is that it would only get more onerous on the paperwork side and slow things down than become more practical and, dare I say it, sensible.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.