Question for the gun smiths

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
TattooedGun
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Dudley Rifle Club, WNSC, UKPSA, Bromsgrove

Re: Question for the gun smiths

#41 Post by TattooedGun »

HALODIN wrote:Nothing will come of it, because no one's concerned about it except you. Of course British legislation is fact, it's law and it's up to every country to accurately determine their own definitions, that determine if you are or are not breaking the law. Quoting a US definition by a US governing body and then using your opinion, as to how it would be seen within the UK legal system is pointless.
I'm concerned about it because unless you have failed to realise there are quite a few people who do not know about this part of legislation, as is evident by this thread. I'd rather inform gun owners so they do not unwittingly fall foul of the law than stand by and watch more licensed gun owners go under the bus and bring the rest of us into disrepute.

There was method to my logic of seeing what it is categorised and sold as - even mentioned above when talking about receivers being classed a sec 5 because they were manufactured as sec 5 in the states.
HALODIN wrote:Your over simplified fruit example isn't fit for purpose. It's neither an apple or an orange, it's a banana as well. It has features from a moderator, a suppressor and a brake and different countries clearly class it's dominant feature differently, which is why it was legally for sale in the UK.
So it has 3 features, and 2 of which are restricted in this country, but it's okay because arbitrarily it's classed as the one that's not restricted over here...
HALODIN wrote:This is how rumors start, there was no need to play devils advocate and you're not helping anyone. You are entitled to your opinion, but insisting you're right and saying you'd demand X, Y and Z is ramming your opinion down other people's throats.
I'm not ramming my opinion down anyone's throats. You can choose not to read, you can choose to dismiss what I say and not reply. I simply stated that from my understanding of the legislation, and based on what i know about the device, from the manufacturers, I would err on the side of caution. I would want to be clear and have clarification in writing from the people who make the laws in this country and classify such devices (much like what is needed from the HO for lever release rifles and such that are allowed), that way I cover my own back, regardless of what anyone else says.
Mattnall wrote:
TattooedGun wrote: That would make more sense, however it doesn't explain why snappysnapsnap cannot buy a spare one for his Drag. Do you have a source for this?
Perhaps the dealer was unsure of the regulations and erred on the side of caution. A wise move in such instances I'd guess.
Agreed.
HALODIN
Home club or Range: Oundle Rifle & Pistol Club

#42 Post by HALODIN »

You're not informing people, you're causing confusion and you're trying to throw me, my FEO, 4 RFD's and the proof house under the bus. Why?

Who said the classification was arbitrarily defined as a brake? Can you provide proof of this or again are you passing your opinion as fact?
TattooedGun wrote:I'm concerned about it because unless you have failed to realise there are quite a few people who do not know about this part of legislation, as is evident by this thread. I'd rather inform gun owners so they do not unwittingly fall foul of the law than stand by and watch more licensed gun owners go under the bus and bring the rest of us into disrepute.

There was method to my logic of seeing what it is categorised and sold as - even mentioned above when talking about receivers being classed a sec 5 because they were manufactured as sec 5 in the states.

So it has 3 features, and 2 of which are restricted in this country, but it's okay because arbitrarily it's classed as the one that's not restricted over here...
TattooedGun
Past Supporter

#43 Post by TattooedGun »

HALODIN wrote:You're not informing people, you're causing confusion and you're trying to throw me, my FEO, 4 RFD's and the proof house under the bus. Why?
I'm not trying to throw anybody anywhere. If I wanted to do that I'd go to the HO and start asking them questions and for clarifications, since I'm not trying to shine the light on this grey area in down those avenues and cause a stir and merely let people know the legislation and the possible pitfalls for using such a device I'm not trying to throw anybody under the bus.

You've shown an awful lot of emotion regarding this, but not a lot of evidence that it is classed as you say it is. Purely hear-say from RFD's and FEO's. Neither of which have the authority to classify such a device in their own right, you even said earlier that you asked if it was a suppressor or brake - of which the legislation of this regards it as a flash hider, so it would be neither for your comparisons, so the evidence you give regarding the RFD's is fallable as you may not have asked the correct questions.
HALODIN wrote:Who said the classification was arbitrarily defined as a brake? Can you provide proof of this or again are you passing your opinion as fact?
You said it was defined as a brake, but showed no proof as to where this came from.

I can find no other RFD selling this "brake" at all in the country, so there is no clear line to follow in this country, but can find plenty of proof of how it is defined at point of origin.

And again, I never said anything as fact, I did not proclaim that what I was saying about it "arbitrarily" being classed as a brake was fact - in fact I was being quite facetious. trying to point out the convenience of it being 3 things, where two are restricted, but it happens to be classed as the third, on your say so, as I can find no reference to this particular device anywhere on the web, other than it's country of origin. And you still have not proven any of your "facts" with more than hearsay.

And it's not like I have anything to gain from being right or wrong in this conversation.

If I'm right, then whoop de do I've educated some people. If I'm wrong, then oh dear, I'll admit defeat and have learned something.

It's a whole different ballpark for you though.
Last edited by TattooedGun on Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HALODIN

#44 Post by HALODIN »

You should think about the consequences of your posts. You've already caused a stir and you've potentially damaged people's reputations to boot. You named Paul not me and you've effectively highlighted he may have sold (in your opinion) an illegal firearm component. Not only that, you've said my FEO and the 4 RFD's I dealt with when I bought my rifle, might not know what they're doing. So yes you're throwing us all under the bus based on your opinion and for what reason?

I want you to contact the Home Office about the Noveske KX3 and if you're too cowardly to do it, then shut up.
TattooedGun wrote:I'm not trying to throw anybody anywhere. If I wanted to do that I'd go to the HO and start asking them questions and for clarifications, since I'm not trying to shine the light on this grey area in down those avenues and cause a stir and merely let people know the legislation and the possible pitfalls for using such a device I'm not trying to throw anybody under the bus.

You've shown an awful lot of emotion regarding this, but not a lot of evidence that it is classed as you say it is. Purely hear-say from RFD's and FEO's. Neither of which have the authority to classify such a device in their own right, you even said earlier that you asked if it was a suppressor or brake - of which the legislation of this regards it as a flash hider, so it would be neither for your comparisons, so the evidence you give regarding the RFD's is fallable as you may not have asked the correct questions.

You said it was defined as a brake, but showed no proof as to where this came from.

I can find no other RFD selling this "brake" at all in the country, so there is no clear line to follow in this country, but can find plenty of proof of how it is defined at point of origin.

And again, I never said anything as fact, I did not proclaim that what I was saying about it "arbitrarily" being classed as a brake was fact - in fact I was being quite facetious. trying to point out the convenience of it being 3 things, where two are restricted, but it happens to be classed as the third, on your say so, as I can find no reference to this particular device anywhere on the web, other than it's country of origin. And you still have not proven any of your "facts" with more than hearsay.
Christel
Site Admin

#45 Post by Christel »

Enough

This is turning into another "black gun" somebody's reputation yada yada thread.

I am not having it, not on this forum.

STFU or discuss nicely!
TattooedGun
Past Supporter

#46 Post by TattooedGun »

HALODIN wrote:You should think about the consequences of your posts. You've already caused a stir and you've potentially damaged people's reputations to boot. You named Paul not me and you've effectively highlighted he may have sold (in your opinion) an illegal firearm component. Not only that, you've said my FEO and the 4 RFD's I dealt with when I bought my rifle, might not know what they're doing. So yes you're throwing us all under the bus based on your opinion and for what reason?

I want you to contact the Home Office about the Noveske KX3 and if you're too cowardly to do it, then shut up.
TattooedGun wrote:I'm not trying to throw anybody anywhere. If I wanted to do that I'd go to the HO and start asking them questions and for clarifications, since I'm not trying to shine the light on this grey area in down those avenues and cause a stir and merely let people know the legislation and the possible pitfalls for using such a device I'm not trying to throw anybody under the bus.

Why would I be cowardly to do it? I have nothing to gain or lose either way.

It took me all of 2 seconds to google the device in the UK and discard any airsoft references. There's only one RFD that comes up in the results so naming anyone is neither here nor there, you're the one boasting about owning one and sending me down the path saying that you have one in this country from an RFD.

As for the RFD's and FEO's you're the one that stated that they claimed it was all above board. If it is above board, which I am perfectly open to being the possibility, then they're right and they've done nothing wrong and nobody is under any bus, if they're wrong however you're the one that stated 4 RFD's said it was okay, not me.

Edit: Just seen Christels post. I'm happy to drop it. Alternatively, I'm happy to ask the HO the question and report back what they say about the device. Anyone got an email address?
HALODIN

#47 Post by HALODIN »

Then get on with it.
TattooedGun wrote:Why would I be cowardly to do it? I have nothing to gain or lose either way
Hunter87

#48 Post by Hunter87 »

Tattooedgun I think it's rather funny that for someone who says in a previous post they dont care either way you have spent the whole day posting and searching for evidence about the subject.
TattooedGun
Past Supporter

#49 Post by TattooedGun »

Sent.

I'd like nothing more than to be proven wrong at this point, we'll wait and see.
Hunter87 wrote:Tattooedgun I think it's rather funny that for someone who says in a previous post they dont care either way you have spent the whole day posting and searching for evidence about the subject.
The things I do to learn legislation surrounding firearms law... :p
TattooedGun
Past Supporter

#50 Post by TattooedGun »

Apparently sending emails to the home office makes your facebook account do really weird things soon after...! :o