Question for the gun smiths

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

Re: Question for the gun smiths

#31 Post by bradaz11 »

HALODIN wrote:That isn't a UK governing body nor is it a description by the manufacturer, it says "classified as a flash suppressor by the BATF FTB", they have no jurisdiction in the UK, so their definition doesn't matter. Let me put it this way, it came from a dealer that you wouldn't question and I have complete confidence they did their due diligence before selling it to me. So I'm sure someone somewhere has already made a ruling on this particular item, otherwise it wouldn't have been advertised on their site.

Yes if anyone ever questions it, I can fight my corner.

Doesn't BATF's classification of firearms influence their status in this Country?

like if a reciever is manufactured as a semi auto in the US, its sec 5 here??? or did I dream that?
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
HALODIN
Home club or Range: Oundle Rifle & Pistol Club

#32 Post by HALODIN »

I don't believe so, but the 2 systems may be aligned.
safetyfirst
Past Supporter

#33 Post by safetyfirst »

The mechanism and capability of a firearm when it was manufactured are all that counts here. If the BATF reclassify the 10/22 as an assault class machine gun, it's still legal here.
TattooedGun
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Dudley Rifle Club, WNSC, UKPSA, Bromsgrove

#34 Post by TattooedGun »

safetyfirst wrote:The mechanism and capability of a firearm when it was manufactured are all that counts here. If the BATF reclassify the 10/22 as an assault class machine gun, it's still legal here.
So surely if something is manufactured and patented as say, a flash suppression system, then that's what it's classified as here... No?
Last edited by TattooedGun on Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#35 Post by dromia »

HALODIN wrote:I don't believe so, but the 2 systems may be aligned.
Don't you mean maligned?

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#36 Post by Mattnall »

A flash hider is regulated by virtue of the Firearms Act.
However it is not a part controlled in the same way as a sound moderator which needs to be entered on the FAC, it is regulated in a similar way to primers or shotgun cartridges.
If you have a suitable firearm you can have an accessory, or even a spare, for it that is controlled, such as triggers, hammers, flash hiders, bolts etc. It is not necessary to have separate slot for each of these items but it is necessary to have the/a suitable firearm for it.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
TattooedGun
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Dudley Rifle Club, WNSC, UKPSA, Bromsgrove

#37 Post by TattooedGun »

Mattnall wrote:A flash hider is regulated by virtue of the Firearms Act.
However it is not a part controlled in the same way as a sound moderator which needs to be entered on the FAC, it is regulated in a similar way to primers or shotgun cartridges.
If you have a suitable firearm you can have an accessory, or even a spare, for it that is controlled, such as triggers, hammers, flash hiders, bolts etc. It is not necessary to have separate slot for each of these items but it is necessary to have the/a suitable firearm for it.
That would make more sense, however it doesn't explain why snappysnapsnap cannot buy a spare one for his Drag. Do you have a source for this?
HALODIN
Home club or Range: Oundle Rifle & Pistol Club

#38 Post by HALODIN »

Nothing will come of it, because no one's concerned about it except you. Of course British legislation is fact, it's law and it's up to every country to accurately determine their own definitions, that determine if you are or are not breaking the law. Quoting a US definition by a US governing body and then using your opinion, as to how it would be seen within the UK legal system is pointless.

Your over simplified fruit example isn't fit for purpose. It's neither an apple or an orange, it's a banana as well. It has features from a moderator, a suppressor and a brake and different countries clearly class it's dominant feature differently, which is why it was legally for sale in the UK.

This is how rumors start, there was no need to play devils advocate and you're not helping anyone. You are entitled to your opinion, but insisting you're right and saying you'd demand X, Y and Z is ramming your opinion down other people's throats.
TattooedGun wrote:I'm sorry you think that posting the wording to the legislation is not a fact.

I'm also sorry that you think that because an apple is sold as an orange in this country it somehow makes it an orange when it is clearly an apple.

I am quite clearly playing devils advocate, and as stated likely nothing will ever come of it either way. I haven't projected my opinion as a fact, I have merely shown a viewpoint that could be taken by those who enforce the law.
Mattnall

#39 Post by Mattnall »

bradaz11 wrote:
... if a reciever is manufactured as a semi auto in the US, its sec 5 here??? or did I dream that?
Must have been a dream ;)

A receiver is just that, a receiver and will take the lowest classification until it is manufactured in to a firearm.

According to the HO there are no S5 common parts, only parts of S5 weapons. So unless a part is made into or included in the build of a S5 weapon then it will remain the lower class (ie S1 in this case) until such time that it is included as part of a S5 weapon.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
Mattnall

#40 Post by Mattnall »

TattooedGun wrote: That would make more sense, however it doesn't explain why snappysnapsnap cannot buy a spare one for his Drag. Do you have a source for this?
Perhaps the dealer was unsure of the regulations and erred on the side of caution. A wise move in such instances I'd guess.