Replacement barrel help

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
MistAgain

Re: Replacement barrel help

#11 Post by MistAgain »

I heard it was only on the Firefly , and it was supposed to have been fixed !
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#12 Post by GeeRam »

MistAgain wrote:I heard it was only on the Firefly , and it was supposed to have been fixed !
Aah, OK.

Nothing to concern me then as a StG.44 owner :good:
38Super
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: FDPC

#13 Post by 38Super »

GeeRam wrote:As a GSG owner, is this a specific model of GSG with this issue, or a problem all their different models have?
This is a GSG 5 but it's appears a common problem for the GSG 522 as well. Too early to say it it's a problem with the GSG 16. The are all very similar internally.
I have seen this attributed to the bolt opening too soon after ignition due to the 'rebounding' hammer design of the mechanism but other people have said it's just the cheap steel of the chamber.
38Super

#14 Post by 38Super »

GeeRam wrote: Aah, OK.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to find an identical internal build in StG.44 as the GSG 16.
A close look at parts diagram should tell you.
GeeRam

#15 Post by GeeRam »

38Super wrote:
GeeRam wrote: Aah, OK.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to find an identical internal build in StG.44 as the GSG 16.
A close look at parts diagram should tell you.
Bugger.... 8-)

Yes, I believe there are many internal similarities and commonality of design internals between the various GSG .22 rifles.

I don't put a lot of rounds through mine, so hopefully won't be an issue for the remaining couple of more years I intend to own it.....
38Super

#16 Post by 38Super »

GeeRam wrote: Bugger.... 8-)

Yes, I believe there are many internal similarities and commonality of design internals between the various GSG .22 rifles.

I don't put a lot of rounds through mine, so hopefully won't be an issue for the remaining couple of more years I intend to own it.....
I've just had a look at the manual for the STG and from what I can see it doesn't like the same system.
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#17 Post by Mattnall »

Biggest problem with both the StG44 and MP40 is the bolt cover cracking causing the two halves of the bolt to move relative to each other and sheer the locating lugs off the lower half if not caught in time.
Lower halves are the same in both rifles, the upper differs slightly but they seem weak and prone to breakages if some of the pokier high velocity ammo is used.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
GeeRam

#18 Post by GeeRam »

Mattnall wrote:Biggest problem with both the StG44 and MP40 is the bolt cover cracking causing the two halves of the bolt to move relative to each other and sheer the locating lugs off the lower half if not caught in time.
Lower halves are the same in both rifles, the upper differs slightly but they seem weak and prone to breakages if some of the pokier high velocity ammo is used.
Would you include CCI Mini Mag in that category, as I found that's been the most reliable ammo to use in mine......?
38Super

#19 Post by 38Super »

Mattnall wrote:Biggest problem with both the StG44 and MP40 is the bolt cover cracking causing the two halves of the bolt to move relative to each other and sheer the locating lugs off the lower half if not caught in time.
It's the bolt carrier that is cracked in my GSG 5. I've noticed that the entire bolt carrier has around 10-15 thou of movement when it's in the gun and I'm wondering if it's this that causes the fractures. I've adapted the fixing system to take out the movement and lock the bolt carrier in tight. I'll see if the cracks get worse or not next time I shoot it.
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#20 Post by Mattnall »

GeeRam wrote:Would you include CCI Mini Mag in that category, as I found that's been the most reliable ammo to use in mine......?
We haven't tried Minimag but all of the failures have been with the higher velocity ammo, such as S&B HV Solid.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.