Front sight elements

All types of competitive shooting including Bell Target, MR TR F/TR F Open, GR, Small Bore and BR

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
This section is for people who shoot or want to shoot in competitions and includes future events, how to get started, choice of rifle and calibres including wildcats, how to prepare for your competition, and of course how you did!
Cookisan
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: Diggle and MSR&PC

Front sight elements

#1 Post by Cookisan »

I have a rifle with a matchmaker front sight and a BSA rear aperture sight. I'm trying to get my head around the different front sight elements, the ID of the inner rings varies from approximately 2.5mm to 4.5mm, do you choose them for ease of seeing the target or do specific sizes correspond to the different range TR bullseye targets?
kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

Re: Front sight elements

#2 Post by kennyc »

I use such sights on my K31, I have always believed that the sights allow you to chose the amount of white around the target, everybody having a different preference, however I may well be over simplifying things
FredB
Home club or Range: stourport

#3 Post by FredB »

Yes. The amount of light around the target, or around the front sight if open sights are used, is what enable you to focus, on the target with a ring aperture or on the front sight with open types.
One of the best pieces of advice I was ever given, was to pretend that the black bull picture is attached to the trigger and you are trying to pull it through the ring.
Fred
Fred
FredB
Home club or Range: stourport

#4 Post by FredB »

Yes. The amount of light around the target, or around the front sight if open sights are used, is what enable you to focus, on the target with a ring aperture or on the front sight with open types.
One of the best pieces of advice I was ever given, was to pretend that the black bull picture is attached to the trigger and you are trying to pull it through the ring.
Fred
Cookisan

#5 Post by Cookisan »

I thought as much, cheers for the clarification chaps. Just now need to put it in to action and try a bit of experimentation.

I was too scared to ask the TR crowd at the club as they always look very serious and the bondage gear worried me!
Cookisan

#6 Post by Cookisan »

I thought as much, cheers for the clarification chaps. Just now need to put it in to action and try a bit of experimentation.

I was too scared to ask the TR crowd at the club as they always look very serious and the bondage gear worried me!