Score indicating on long range targets.

All types of competitive shooting including Bell Target, MR TR F/TR F Open, GR, Small Bore and BR

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
This section is for people who shoot or want to shoot in competitions and includes future events, how to get started, choice of rifle and calibres including wildcats, how to prepare for your competition, and of course how you did!
JSC
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA

Re: Score indicating on long range targets.

#11 Post by JSC »

rox wrote:
JSC wrote:The situation at S.Siberia just proves that TR shooters never go there ;)
And why would they (visit a 200 yard range, when their shortest distance is 300)?
That's sort of what I was getting at...

I can't think of a reason they would go there with their target rifles, but TR shooters might go there with another rifle and expect the same marking maybe?
Daryll
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

#12 Post by Daryll »

Anyone else remember when the butt markers had arrows on long posts to point to the shot hole...???

The arrows were black on one side, white on the other to contrast with the rings... and waving the arrow across the target indicated a miss...
Chapuis

#13 Post by Chapuis »

Daryll wrote:Anyone else remember when the butt markers had arrows on long posts to point to the shot hole...???

The arrows were black on one side, white on the other to contrast with the rings... and waving the arrow across the target indicated a miss...
Yes I remember the pointers. It used to be considered great fun by some to shoot the pointer when it was slapped on the target.
I can't remember what the signal was for another shot in the same place as the previous though.
kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

#14 Post by kennyc »

Some ranges still use marker sticks goodjob

Private Marker
Home club or Range: Bisley NRA

#15 Post by Private Marker »

Daryll wrote:Anyone else remember when the butt markers had arrows on long posts to point to the shot hole...???

Really? In a word no, but I've only been marking seven months:)
When was that when arrows were used?
DaveB
Home club or Range: Wellington Service Rifle Assocaition; NZ Deerstalkers Association; Wairarapa Pistol & Shooting Sports Club

#16 Post by DaveB »

My club has invested in these absolutely wonderful electronic target systems. No butt party anymore. You just log-on to the wireless network with your smart phone or tablet, and shoot away. Each shot is indicated and scored. It differentiates between the sighters and scoring shots and also gives you the group size. The only potential drawback is that the projectiles have to be supersonic when they pass the sensors, which can make some calibres a bit iffy at 1,000 yards. What utter bliss, compared to the old days.
Private Marker
Home club or Range: Bisley NRA

#17 Post by Private Marker »

DaveB is that the Shot Marker system? Somebody left a card about them at the range office. Bloody cheek! Taking the bread out of my mouth :)
There's been trouble with Bisley's automatic targets recently. Only yesterday I had to lower two of them by hand.
All electronic targets? Be careful what you wish for.....
DaveB
Home club or Range: Wellington Service Rifle Assocaition; NZ Deerstalkers Association; Wairarapa Pistol & Shooting Sports Club

#18 Post by DaveB »

Sorry, the targets are not automatic or electronic - they never move. The marking and indication is electronic. From a company called Silver Mountain. https://www.silvermountaintargets.com/f ... tions.html This photo was actually taken on the range we use. It's a military 1,000 yard range almost disused by the NZ Army, and which is shared by a half-dozen civilian clubs. Great range, but the wind can be a bit challenging.