Will you take the shilling?

All types of competitive shooting including Bell Target, MR TR F/TR F Open, GR, Small Bore and BR

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
This section is for people who shoot or want to shoot in competitions and includes future events, how to get started, choice of rifle and calibres including wildcats, how to prepare for your competition, and of course how you did!
jimbo303

Re: Will you take the shilling?

#41 Post by jimbo303 »

Colleague in Detail A

Also note that "Gun Jesus" or a person with same initial and surname at least is in Detail A also !

4 form the Shire I know of partaking and at least 1 coming to observe.
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#42 Post by Mattnall »

Ian is indeed shooting, I'll be in the third wave over the top.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
bnz41
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#43 Post by bnz41 »

Good day at Bisley even though it was very wet towards the end. Met loads of people.

The Vickers was something to see wow... and the guys shooting their rifles rapid fire along side it was awesome.
Furiouspilgrim
Site Supporter 2019
Home club or Range: 49th

#44 Post by Furiouspilgrim »

I had a cracking day! Well done to all those involved.

Happy to pick up a silver medal for match 3. Definitely got the bug for CSR now.
rox

#45 Post by rox »

bnz41 wrote:Good day at Bisley even though it was very wet towards the end. Met loads of people.

The Vickers was something to see wow... and the guys shooting their rifles rapid fire along side it was awesome.

dave_303

#46 Post by dave_303 »

Was detail C, target 80.

Cracking day, wet at the end, but what an experience!
Maggot
Home club or Range: HRA and LERA

#47 Post by Maggot »

Right then, while I am feeling indignant....I would like to thank Mick Kelley, Mark Bradley, Rick Wells (?) Peter Cotterell, Martin Camp, the Service padre who had a great sense of humor with some of our attempts at singing, and to Jim Christopher, 27 years RM Bugler who Mark Bradley tracked down and who played a flawless rendition of the lass post and revelle. My apologies to anyone I have missed but you know who you are.

The service (which in essence was the most improtant part of the day) was well delivered and had the required sobering effect.

A lot of effort went into arranging accurate period targetry which I believe dear Mick Kelly had a lot to do with so cheers bud as well as anyone else involved which includes the 100 or so people who attended the service, many wearing period uniform (that kilt looked rough), their regimental/service headdress, or relatives medals bringing with them over 100 period rifles. I had to get a new beret as mine has been eaten by moths...certain irony there is being Army Air Corps clapclap

The day kicked off with a decent bacon roll and a brew, with some bullshitting, then the service (Understandably a few shaking shoulders and blurred vision). We had the usual and vital range brief followed by the various details at 200 yards with some challenging targets. I had some problems that made my shooting day fairly pants, but the whole point of the exercise which was to commemorate the Armistice and remember the fallen from 1914 onward, so no worries there.

The fact is that this was the first (and by default the only) NRA run Armistice shoot and it did its job with the day being halved by a decent stew/curry for lunch.

At the end of the day a Vickers machine gun was set up and some competitors shot into the sand along with the vickers which should (if taken in context) have had a sobering effect, as well as being a rare chance to see this fine old machine gun in action.

Great day but tinged with sadness :good: :cry:
MrD

#48 Post by MrD »

I am so glad I endured the 12hr drive there and back. The day was an amazing experience and I enjoyed the banter with all those I met. Maybe I was lucky, but never came across a complete pratt! I was on Lane 98, detail B in the KOSB glengarry. I was chuffed with my shooting, even my appalling scores on the snaps...… these were pretty tricky, especially in the low light/rain. I hate the word 'awesome' but the Vickers was just that. The sustained beat of it over the rifles really brought home what these weapons were capable of. Although it was a fun day, from those I spoke to all were doing it while remembering family members who weren't doing it for fun - which was the whole point of the day really.
The organisation/personnel behind it need to be given the credit for all of the hard work and time put into allowing us to experience it. My first trip to Bisley won't be my last.

Donald
Save it for a mammal who cares!

http://www.cawdorrifleandgunclub.co.uk/
Strangely Brown
Home club or Range: NRA

#49 Post by Strangely Brown »

Maggot wrote: A lot of effort went into arranging accurate period targetry which I believe dear Mick Kelly had a lot to do with so cheers bud

I believe thanks here are mainly due to Paul Quilliam, Peter Cottrell & Rick Wells for the targets. Whilst I have been banging on for LERA to get them for years I really cant claim any prizes for the targets this time round.

I'm told they weren't cheap either! :o
Mick
Maggot
Home club or Range: HRA and LERA

#50 Post by Maggot »

MrD wrote:I am so glad I endured the 12hr drive there and back. The day was an amazing experience and I enjoyed the banter with all those I met. Maybe I was lucky, but never came across a complete pratt! I was on Lane 98, detail B in the KOSB glengarry. I was chuffed with my shooting, even my appalling scores on the snaps...… these were pretty tricky, especially in the low light/rain. I hate the word 'awesome' but the Vickers was just that. The sustained beat of it over the rifles really brought home what these weapons were capable of. Although it was a fun day, from those I spoke to all were doing it while remembering family members who weren't doing it for fun - which was the whole point of the day really.
The organisation/personnel behind it need to be given the credit for all of the hard work and time put into allowing us to experience it. My first trip to Bisley won't be my last.

Donald
Ah yes, saw your Glengarry, take a look at the NRA photo's, its on a few :good: