Mini Rifle

All types of competitive shooting including Bell Target, MR TR F/TR F Open, GR, Small Bore and BR

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
This section is for people who shoot or want to shoot in competitions and includes future events, how to get started, choice of rifle and calibres including wildcats, how to prepare for your competition, and of course how you did!
Destinct

Mini Rifle

#1 Post by Destinct »

Hey guys, I've been watching videos of 3 gun in America and thought it looked really fun, I found that we had something similar with mini rifle...as far as I can tell! (I'm only interested in the rifle element at the moment)

Just looking for a bit of advice or pointers of places to research. Realistically how much would it cost to get into it?

Are the S&W guns any good for this? I like the look of the AR15 style guns but don't want to throw a lot of money at it as I've just had a nipper. I also have other shooting commitments..rough shoot and deer stalking.

Also what ammo do you use? This might sound stupid but I've only ever hunted.

Thanks in advance!
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

Re: Mini Rifle

#2 Post by dromia »

It would be helpful if you put your location in your profile so people can make suggestions pertinent to where you live.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
BamBam

#3 Post by BamBam »

Costs are dependant on choice of rifle. A 2nd hand 10/22 with an ebay red dot and 3 BX-25 mags can be had for around £400.

A S&W 15-22, vortex red dot/1-4 scope and 3 25 round magazines £800+

The S&W rifles are great for mini-rifle, pretty much standard equipment nowadays, but very few leave them standard.

Moving forward, you can get something like this for £995, rifle alone, but the same mags as the S&W and your red dot or scope will go straight on.

Destinct

#4 Post by Destinct »

dromia wrote:It would be helpful if you put your location in your profile so people can make suggestions pertinent to where you live.
Good point forgot that! I'm near poole in Dorset south west.

Thanks dromia.

Couldn't see how to edit the post so I'll put it here
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#5 Post by dromia »

If you put it in your profile then it will appear under your screen name everytime you post.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Airbrush
Home club or Range: Nra

#6 Post by Airbrush »

Destinct

#7 Post by Destinct »

Ok nice thanks bambam, I like the idea of the 15/22 so I'll do a bit of research, there looks like a few for a decent price S/H.

Thanks airbrush, looks like it's worth a call or a visit!

Do you use HV or subs in competitions and are you allowed to moderate the rifle?

Sent from my iPad using "An application"
BamBam

#8 Post by BamBam »

Destinct wrote:O
Do you use HV or subs in competitions and are you allowed to moderate the rifle?
HV or standard velocity, if you moderate then the shot timer will not pick up the sound.
Check with the range first.
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#9 Post by Blackstuff »

Airbrush wrote:Research this place.

http://www.shieldshootingcentre.co.uk/
Unfortunately Shields owner is retiring and selling the place off, range and all. Obviously its a ready-made business/facility so someone could buy it with the intention of carrying it on but hearing the rumblings from the locals its not looking good for some reason :bad:
Destinct wrote:Ok nice thanks bambam, I like the idea of the 15/22 so I'll do a bit of research, there looks like a few for a decent price S/H.

Thanks airbrush, looks like it's worth a call or a visit!

Sent from my iPad using "An application"
Most people i shoot with use CCI Mini-mag. Its reasonably consistent and works in virtually all guns. Eley are now bringing out ammo specifically for semi-auto guns/mini rifle as the guy in charge now is a long time practical competition shooter :good:

As mentioned you can moderate the guns but the RO's shot timer might not pick up the shot which will result in you either having to re-shoot a stage (which can be a good or bad thing!) or you'll be required to remove the mod, which could shift your point of impact. Shot timers can be set to pick up quieter noises but then you run the risk of them picking up secondary noises from your gun or the background. You'll also not earn a friend in the RO getting them to switch settings everytime you're shooting which is never a good thing lol

If you really want to use the gun moderated you should speak with the RO/match organiser ahead of time or even bring your own shot timer for the RO's to use when you're shooting.
DVC
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#10 Post by bradaz11 »

check out 'the tunnel' in charmouth, they run a friendly laid back mini rifle on a thurs night. they can supply guns too. really friendly bunch of guys who are very open to beginners unlike some. perfect for toe dipping
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns