CSR information

All types of competitive shooting including Bell Target, MR TR F/TR F Open, GR, Small Bore and BR

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
This section is for people who shoot or want to shoot in competitions and includes future events, how to get started, choice of rifle and calibres including wildcats, how to prepare for your competition, and of course how you did!
Cad Monkey
Home club or Range: KLSM & Grove

Re: CSR information

#21 Post by Cad Monkey »

safetyfirst wrote:Putting your real name on an internet connected database then discussing the firearms you own just isn’t good practice in my personal opinion.

It doesn’t matter if the forum is “closed”, no forum is 100% secure, I see no reason for real names until you require them for a sale/purchase in which case do it offline.
Listen, at the end of the day shooting is a hobby and to some of us a completive sport which we participate in because we have a passion for it. Shooting is not a forbidden activity which should not be talked about in public and I really don’t understand your reluctance for the general public to know that you possess firearms…..it’s a legal pastime for Christ sake.
BTW my name is David Moran and I own one or two rifles………………….ah, that feels good, there really is nothing like coming out.
"All marriages are happy. It's living together afterwards that is difficult."
Airbrush
Home club or Range: Nra

#22 Post by Airbrush »

safetyfirst wrote:Putting your real name on an internet connected database then discussing the firearms you own just isn’t good practice in my personal opinion.

It doesn’t matter if the forum is “closed”, no forum is 100% secure, I see no reason for real names until you require them for a sale/purchase in which case do it offline.
Don't worry about joining the forum, just enter a match & enjoy the sport. :good:
breacher
Home club or Range: EBSC

#23 Post by breacher »

Well said David. Maybe if the public saw 100 examples of law abiding gun ownership for every 1 example of criminal use of guns, they might realise guns are not the issue - criminals are !

By the way - the auto censor seems to have deleted the word "dozen" from your post......
http://www.phoenixtactical.co.uk

RFD 2043 Cambridgeshire
Maggot
Home club or Range: HRA and LERA

#24 Post by Maggot »

This is all a bit of a shame but hardly surprising.

If someone wants to take your guns there are better ways than messing about and leaving a trail just trying to hack a closed forum. If you are involved in IT you will know how easy it is to create a trail and how hard it is to cover it against a decent DMI.

The CSR community is quite close. It is very welcoming, but because of all the unfortunate miss and Disinformation bandied about by various club secs and those with nothing better to do than glue their keyboards up at night, it has a closed forum.

We dont eat babies...well most of us dont although.... Seriously though, think it through.

We assume that you are actually going to shoot in a CSR match, so at some stage your full name will be required for the squadding list. If you provide a false name then this would soon be apparent and alarm bells would ring. There are one or two of us that would take a professional interest in this and wonder why? I dont want to be about people who I dont trust, and I certainly dont want them armed. If someone were to give false details, while it would not in itself necessarily be a crime, I cant see the welcome lasting that long.

We are extremely keen that the discipline expands, but does so safely and transparently.
Maggot
Home club or Range: HRA and LERA

#25 Post by Maggot »

Airbrush wrote:

Don't worry about joining the forum, just enter a match & enjoy the sport. :good:
Yea....but dont forget the dark sunglasses and "Mr X" name tape clapclap
breacher

#26 Post by breacher »

The alternative to that level of transparancy was evident here recently. A certain individual had several aliases here. One was a middle aged man. One was a younger female. It even got to the stage where one alias was praising another alias post transaction - a false feedback basically !

Anonymous profiles can and are abused. Especially by those who get banned and return under a different name.

And those with anonymous profiles can be as "naughty" as they want because only a disposable alias gets lost when banned.

I think CSR forum management are ahead of the curve in that respect.

RFD 2043 Cambridgeshire
kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

#27 Post by kennyc »

breacher wrote:The alternative to that level of transparancy was evident here recently. A certain individual had several aliases here. One was a middle aged man. One was a younger female. It even got to the stage where one alias was praising another alias post transaction - a false feedback basically !

Anonymous profiles can and are abused. Especially by those who get banned and return under a different name.

And those with anonymous profiles can be as "naughty" as they want because only a disposable alias gets lost when banned.

in al fairness with the history of some of the managment at spamming other forums they should be ahead of the curve :p some of them built the curve shakeshout

enough of you know me by sight that I feel I can say this green55
breacher

#28 Post by breacher »

kennyc wrote:
breacher wrote:The alternative to that level of transparancy was evident here recently. A certain individual had several aliases here. One was a middle aged man. One was a younger female. It even got to the stage where one alias was praising another alias post transaction - a false feedback basically !

in al fairness with the history of some of the managment at spamming other forums they should be ahead of the curve :p some of them built the curve shakeshout

enough of you know me by sight that I feel I can say this green55
Naughty boys and girls are all over the interweb.None have the moral high ground in this fake news world.
But some of the best gamekeepers were once poachers ..........

Edit - it is of course possible that the individual I referred to here was gender fluid - maybe he identified as a middle aged man on some days and a young female on other days and FBUK were being very progressive in allowing heshe to identify at random. :good:

RFD 2043 Cambridgeshire
safetyfirst
Past Supporter

#29 Post by safetyfirst »

Interesting stuff, thanks for the input and opinion. I’m not much of a competitive shooter really and would opt out of published scores if there was an option, I’ve only ever competed against myself really, though I am squadded thanks to an appearance at the Phoenix and Derby Open.

Shooting is a law-abiding past time, perhaps one of the most law-abiding pastimes. But that does not mean we should dismiss the requirement for a bit of “operational security” when it comes to weapons stored in our homes.

I share the sport as often as I can, I regularly help run open days and friends and family days, I take my friends out shooting whenever I can and encourage them to join clubs if they seem keen.

You can do all that and still have a nod in the direction of need-to-know when it comes to where the guns are stored.

$.02, tha’sall. :)
Strangely Brown
Home club or Range: NRA

#30 Post by Strangely Brown »

safetyfirst wrote:I’m not much of a competitive shooter really and would opt out of published scores if there was an option, I’ve only ever competed against myself really, though I am squadded thanks to an appearance at the Phoenix and Derby Open.
Trust me, CSR isn't for you!
Mick