Northern NRA Rep

News from the National Rifle Association (UK)

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Please note that the NRA section has been locked until further notice.
Dougan

Re: Northern NRA Rep

#31 Post by Dougan »

I hadn't actually realised that the guy volunteered, and got people to vote for him; so i can understand your critisism - I just don't think we should be calling people 'lemons' and 'tossers' (I'm trying not to smile) - Personally I like the idea of being able to get first hand info from the NRA on the forum. I would imagine that for them it may sometimes be more trouble than it's worth - and we must remember that for any representitive of the NRA, either payed of volunteer, they don't have to be here...so I would rather not scare them of with rudeness....

I wish I could think of a solution to the northern shooters problems - I think UK shooting in general has an obvious funding problem, and with the economic climate the way it is, people are shooting less due to ammo and petrol costs etc. - The problem is that shooting is not a popular sport with non-shooters, so there will never be any external funding...and in the future, folks will either be prepared to pay a little more or give up. One thing that helps Bisley is it's location, with it's proximity to the M25, M3, M4 etc. - even I can get there in an hour and a half from the Dorset coast (though a £30 round trip!), so it gets some guanateed attendances - But up north things a more spread out, which makes it difficult to run a range without it being expensive...you could consolidate, by closing some ranges and opening a 'Northern shooting center', but then there would still be many loosers depending on the location.

Quite frankly I really don't know what can be done right now...but would have to agree that a good Rep would help...
dodgyrog
Site Supporter Since 2015
Home club or Range: Three Counties Sporting Club & Gardners Guns

#32 Post by dodgyrog »

I have to say that I am not sure of the remit of the Reps - do they represent the NRA to the shooters or do they represent the shooters with the NRA?
Either way, it is not working in my neck of the woods.
Purveyor of fine cast boolits.
All round good guy and VERY grumpy old man.
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#33 Post by Alpha1 »

No its not working in my kneck of the woods either sadly and it does frustrate me and it does make me angry and I some times go off on one.
Sorry but that is just the way I am. I am struggling to get range time. Ranges are cancelled all the time ranges are closing we are struggling down here give us some help for God sake.
Were is this National Rifle Asociation were is this Northern rep that every one keps banging on about. HELP
John25

#34 Post by John25 »

Dougan wrote:I hadn't actually realised that the guy volunteered, and got people to vote for him; so i can understand your critisism - I just don't think we should be calling people 'lemons' and 'tossers' (I'm trying not to smile) - Personally I like the idea of being able to get first hand info from the NRA on the forum. I would imagine that for them it may sometimes be more trouble than it's worth - and we must remember that for any representitive of the NRA, either payed of volunteer, they don't have to be here...so I would rather not scare them of with rudeness....

I wish I could think of a solution to the northern shooters problems - I think UK shooting in general has an obvious funding problem, and with the economic climate the way it is, people are shooting less due to ammo and petrol costs etc. - The problem is that shooting is not a popular sport with non-shooters, so there will never be any external funding...and in the future, folks will either be prepared to pay a little more or give up. One thing that helps Bisley is it's location, with it's proximity to the M25, M3, M4 etc. - even I can get there in an hour and a half from the Dorset coast (though a £30 round trip!), so it gets some guanateed attendances - But up north things a more spread out, which makes it difficult to run a range without it being expensive...you could consolidate, by closing some ranges and opening a 'Northern shooting center', but then there would still be many loosers depending on the location.

Quite frankly I really don't know what can be done right now...but would have to agree that a good Rep would help...

Dougan,

A measured response, as I said earlier he should be given the opporunity to respond here, if he even knows we exist. All members of NRAGC volunteer, some, like me are elected unopposed, some are voted on. The meetings are long and often very frustrating. It is difficult sometimes to get your pont across even if the subject makes it to the agenda.

The Northern Rep. (who is not a personal friend) may only be aware of insulting criticism without being specifically tasked. His 'powers' are very restricted, all he can hope to be is a conduit between his region and the General Council.

Get in touch with him if you feel that there is something he could (should be able to) do.

Despite several of my posts offering help, no-one has contacted me on anything other than more range use - hence FUNGUNNERS, perhaps all the fullborers think I'm useless too?

Signing off now showing the face of 'am I bovvered?'
Gun rhymes with fun.

We are constrained only by the rules of safety and our own imagination.

John

http://www.bisleyshootingservices.co.uk
AHPP

#35 Post by AHPP »

What do northerners want from the northern rep?
AHPP

#36 Post by AHPP »

Must have slipped under the radar. So what do northerners want from the northern rep?
dodgyrog

#37 Post by dodgyrog »

A good start would be for him to actually visit each and every Club in the area and meet the shooters and exchange ideas with them.
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#38 Post by Alpha1 »

If the guy wants to come and introduce himself I am sure my club members would welcome him. I have no idea who he is.
dodgyrog

#39 Post by dodgyrog »

That seems to be the point I am trying to make!
John25

#40 Post by John25 »

Suggestion.

Contact the NRA, get his email address, contact him direct.

If he is working and a shooter he will be just as busy as anyone else.

Anyway, make the first move - as I say, just a suggestion

:good:
Gun rhymes with fun.

We are constrained only by the rules of safety and our own imagination.

John

http://www.bisleyshootingservices.co.uk