Bisley 23rd and 24th May

Made or missed the shot of a lifetime? Share your shooting trips with everyone. Tell us about it. We won't laugh, honest!

Moderator: dromia

jimbo303

Bisley 23rd and 24th May

#1 Post by jimbo303 »

Dear All,

I was just wondering if many or any Foruites managed to secure a Slot at Bisley this coming weekend ?
It would be good to hear how the system worked etc.

Thanks in advance and if you did go - I trust you had a great shoot !!!
J
millemigliadave
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

Re: Bisley 23rd and 24th May

#2 Post by millemigliadave »

I have an hour booked on Century Sunday 24th - looking forward to it immensely so I can use some of the .303 I reloaded during the early part of the lockdown!

I will try to describe the experience when I return but the NRA instructions seem very comprehensive - including the risk assessment.

Dave
jimbo303

#3 Post by jimbo303 »

Have a great shoot Dave. The weather is good and the NRA have clearly put a lot of thought in to how to make it work as well as possible.

There will always be a moaner or two but an hour on electronics will have you shot out - hope the shoulder is Ok on Sunday !

I have to say that both Clubs I am involved in have awaited the NRA to open up and provide comment as to how it would operate in present restrictions and then we have adapted their directives and procedures to fit each Club's location and set up - so having a test run this weekend to ensure it works as hoped and planned....

I understand there has been some consultation going out about a possible Mini Imperial later in the year - so that could be something to look forward to as it could be some time before regional MOD ranges get back up and running and we could have humans in the Butts !

At least we are currently progressing in the right direction.
Jimbo
daman
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: HRPC, NRA, BASC, BDS, Larbert, UKPSA

#4 Post by daman »

I have a lane booked for Sunday afternoon - looking forward to throwing some .303 downrange - might even bring the .223 as well :-)

The restrictions seem straightforward and hopefully won't be too onerous.

-daman
millemigliadave

#5 Post by millemigliadave »

I have to report that Saturday's visit to Bisley was very enjoyable - the NRA have got things organised very well - if you follow their instructions and the parking directions the process is very simple. I had a target on Century at 100yds. I was met at the main entrance and asked what I was there for, the barrier was then raised and I proceeded via the one way system to the parking for the 300/100 at the far right of Century. I can't comment on Stickledown but on arrival at Century there were marked out waiting areas and a gazebo for the RO a hand sanitising station with gel and wipes and a bin. The waiting areas allow each person to wait with their kit whilst continuing social distancing. The RO explained the procedure for requesting assistance and cleaning the target monitor on arrival and departure. As the previous hour's shooting ended, they packed up and left, walking away from those of us waiting keeping a good 2m distance. We then took up our positions and started. It was as simple as that. I had a good hour's shooting with my no.4 and just before the end of my allotted hour, cleaned the monitor, packed my gear and left. The snack place near the NCSC is open for takeaway food and drinks if needed and there are loos again with hand gel as well as soap and water behind Century.
The Gun Pimp

#6 Post by The Gun Pimp »

As a matter of interest (we are looking to open shortly) when you were waiting to shoot - how many people could you see - within say a 100 yard radius?
millemigliadave

#7 Post by millemigliadave »

The Gun Pimp wrote:As a matter of interest (we are looking to open shortly) when you were waiting to shoot - how many people could you see - within say a 100 yard radius?
The waiting area is around 15m from the firing point, so I could see the five people shooting, and one RO. I also had three other people waiting with me for the next detail. Car park was back at 300 so the cars were a long way back. People were being very considerate - I think everyone was just delighted to be there. I'm hoping that the NRA can open something suitable for me to use my M/L revolvers and LBP but I guess the covered ranges are not allowed under current guidelines. Hope that helps.
daman
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: HRPC, NRA, BASC, BDS, Larbert, UKPSA

#8 Post by daman »

Great description by millemigliadave. I shot on the Sunday and it was very similar - the only minor issue was the printer for the electronic scoring was glitched. In future I'll just take a pic of the screen!

I missed the banter you'd get sharing a firing point but all in all, well organised and just great to be back shooting again.
The Gun Pimp

#9 Post by The Gun Pimp »

millemigliadave wrote:
The Gun Pimp wrote:As a matter of interest (we are looking to open shortly) when you were waiting to shoot - how many people could you see - within say a 100 yard radius?
The waiting area is around 15m from the firing point, so I could see the five people shooting, and one RO. I also had three other people waiting with me for the next detail. Car park was back at 300 so the cars were a long way back. People were being very considerate - I think everyone was just delighted to be there. I'm hoping that the NRA can open something suitable for me to use my M/L revolvers and LBP but I guess the covered ranges are not allowed under current guidelines. Hope that helps.
Yes - very helpful - thank you.
jimbo303

#10 Post by jimbo303 »

Dave and Daman - thanks for your feedback and comprehensive description of how your days went.

It all sounds as if they have a very good system sorted for the present restrictions. I knwo a few of my Clb colleagues are considering giving it a go - will pass on your feedback when we next speak.

J