Vickers gun on Century this afternoon

Made or missed the shot of a lifetime? Share your shooting trips with everyone. Tell us about it. We won't laugh, honest!

Moderator: dromia

rox

Re: Vickers gun on Century this afternoon

#11 Post by rox »

Some of the rifle action, and all 3,000 odd rounds from the Vickers:

Maggot
Home club or Range: HRA and LERA

#12 Post by Maggot »

It was an amazing day but it saddens me that a machine gun is the only thing worthy of comment.

NOT the effort that went into arranging it with accurate period targetry

NOT the service and last post at the start or any of the readings

NOT the 100 or so people who attended the service, many wearing period uniform, their regimental/service headdress, or relatives medals

NOT the whole point of the exercise which was to commemorate the Armistice and remember the fallen from 1914 onward

NOT the 100 or so period rifles that were part of the day

NOT the RM Bugler playing a flawless last post

NOT the fact that this was the first (and as likley will be the only) NRA run Armistice shoot

NOT the cracking bacon rolls and stew/curry for lunch

NOT sure why this surprises me teanews
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#13 Post by Mattnall »

Well said, Maggot.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
shugie
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Sperry at Bisley

#14 Post by shugie »

Maggot wrote:It was an amazing day but it saddens me that a machine gun is the only thing worthy of comment.

NOT the 100 or so people who attended the service, many wearing period uniform, their regimental/service headdress, or relatives medals

NOT the whole point of the exercise which was to commemorate the Armistice and remember the fallen from 1914 onward

NOT the fact that this was the first (and as likley will be the only) NRA run Armistice shoot

Possibly because I started the thread about hearing this machine gun from Butt Zero, and not being aware of the rest of what was going on until I got home and did some quick research. Fair play to all those involved, their work, attention to detail and their commitment. Why would it be the first and last time this shoot could be run?

But the machine gun does make a very relevant point, WW1 was dominated by machine guns, and they caused not just many casualties, but the lines to remain static for so long. My thoughts on hearing it pounding away was that I would feel very unhappy to be on the receiving end of that, and many more like it, for years on end.
Careful now/that sort of thing
mag41uk
Home club or Range: Aldershot R & P Club

#15 Post by mag41uk »

I took my 28yo daughter along in the afternoon to have a look at the whole "shooting match" !
She actually cancelled going out with girlie friends for tea!
I met up with a few chums who were shooting.
She was intrigued by the guys in period uniform and she got to look at a smle and mauser.
She is actually not a bad shot herself and loves shooting my No4.
She has some interest in the two world wars - probably due to being dragged round northern France and Flanders on a few occasions.
So to be around the sights, smells and noise of WW1 related guns was a unique experience for her.
She has never experienced machine guns before so was full of questions.
The Vickers was a major draw but it didn't dominate the proceedings of the day. How often are you going to see one being fired in the uk?
The period targetry was brilliant and I can see them being used again.
Maggot
Home club or Range: HRA and LERA

#16 Post by Maggot »

shugie wrote:
Maggot wrote:It was an amazing day but it saddens me that a machine gun is the only thing worthy of comment.

Possibly because I started the thread about hearing this machine gun from Butt Zero, and not being aware of the rest of what was going on until I got home and did some quick research. Fair play to all those involved, their work, attention to detail and their commitment. Why would it be the first and last time this shoot could be run?

But the machine gun does make a very relevant point, WW1 was dominated by machine guns, and they caused not just many casualties, but the lines to remain static for so long. My thoughts on hearing it pounding away was that I would feel very unhappy to be on the receiving end of that, and many more like it, for years on end.
Forgiven because I like you.

It will be the first and last time because it will be the only centenary Shuggie.
David TS
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Grove Small Arms, LERA, SEESA

#17 Post by David TS »

Maggot wrote:

99 period rifles, lol wtf

Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#18 Post by Mattnall »

There was more than 110 scores posted in the SMLE category and only 5 in the AllComers, the No4 entered for honours only I believe.
So more then 100 SMLEs for the Centenary Commemoration Match.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
David TS
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Grove Small Arms, LERA, SEESA

#19 Post by David TS »

Mattnall wrote:There was more than 110 scores posted in the SMLE category and only 5 in the AllComers, the No4 entered for honours only I believe.
So more then 100 SMLEs for the Centenary Commemoration Match.

It was merely a poor attempt at humour, not a criticism ;)
JS569
Home club or Range: catterick

#20 Post by JS569 »

So I saw this on Forgotten Weapons yesterday. I wondered how/ who was the owner and shooter of the gun and the legal status of that - obviously S5 but still intrigued. And secondly, it must have cost a fortune in ammunition as they rattled through it.

Finally watching the video, the gunner/ operator, whatever you want to call him, didn't look to enjoy himself. I think I'd have a smile from ear to ear if I got to rattle off a Vickers gun!

Great to see it and the whole day sounded like a fitting remembrance ceremony