Fumpy grucker

Made or missed the shot of a lifetime? Share your shooting trips with everyone. Tell us about it. We won't laugh, honest!

Moderator: dromia

shugie
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Sperry at Bisley

Fumpy grucker

#1 Post by shugie »

Pitched up with my lad to shoot on Melville this morning, nice and sunny but freezing as usual inside. After a few details of casual plinking, one of the club members loaded up a 25 round magazine for his 15-22 and sent the lot off down range in short order. He was using a bipod on a table, and had a scope. There was another club shooting, fairly casually from what I could see of it, on bay 'C', and their RO pootled over and remonstrated with ours about rapid fire being verboten.

He was told that the shots were aimed (and they were, I checked that target), and I read the range instructions usefully pinned up on the back wall, which confirmed that while indiscriminate fire was indeed unacceptable, provided aim was maintained, a rapid rate of fire was acceptable. Other club RO did not seem to welcome the response much, and went back to his club, while our shooter was quite annoyed by the unwelcome instruction.

When our RO signed out, he got a grumble from the range office on the same issue as they'd had a complaint from Mr Officious. Our chap explained his views on the matter, but the range office staff did not seem that willing to take his word on it, so I suspect we might be in line for an official grumble. I did note that Melville range chap didn't appear, but it's possible that he was elsewhere.

Why can't some people mind their own business?
Careful now/that sort of thing
Gazza

Re: Fumpy grucker

#2 Post by Gazza »

I hear comments from certain people at our club when I'm dumping a 25 round mag but they are never "official" not yet anyway.
The thing is after carefully putting 8 mags down range with the CMMG in the space of an hour or so I always have to go full Rambo with the last mag just because I like it and I also see rapid fire as a discipline in itself.
It all ends up on the paper so does it matter how fast it hits it? lol
shugie
Past Supporter

#3 Post by shugie »

The NRA seem quite happy with a steels challenge where speed is what it's all about.
bnz41
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#4 Post by bnz41 »

Our club shoot a Melville last month had a similar situation, we were just having plinking time when a chap walked over and said he was a clubs RCO from the next bay, could we slow down our rate of fire as they were training new members and our shooting was putting them off.
Our RCO said something along the lines of we are not doing anything wrong green55 to which the chap walked away. Several of us went to see what they were doing, long barreled pistols .22rf shooting at man shaped targets this being timed....when we were seen watching the same RCO asked what we were doing. Nothing else was said for the rest of the morning not even at the range office when we signed out.
kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

#5 Post by kennyc »

I witnessed a guy "complaining" about something on Melville a couple of weeks ago, I say "complaining" because he carefully made sure he wasn't actually making a complaint, just "making staff aware and clarifying the position"
personally I suspect he hadn't mentioned the subject while at Melville, but waited until logging out to have a whinge.
the subject of his not complaint was someone having a quick fag whilst changing targets, as the covered area was non smoking and these guys were in the open air section, it tied up several members of staff for 10mins at a busy time of day, and in my opinion (as a lifelong nonsmoker) was a waste of time! if he wasn't happy he could have said something to the peoples faces (and I and others could have logged out and gone our own ways that much sooner!)
Airbrush
Home club or Range: Nra

#6 Post by Airbrush »

There really are some right tossers who shoot at Bisley. troutslapping
Martek33

#7 Post by Martek33 »

Er !
Ever so slightly !
Having Rco,d there for many a year I've seen it all andy (bearded martin here ;-) )
Hope you're well mate ?
Airbrush

#8 Post by Airbrush »

Martek33 wrote:Er !
Ever so slightly !
Having Rco,d there for many a year I've seen it all andy (bearded martin here ;-) )
Hope you're well mate ?
All good dude. cheers
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#9 Post by GeeRam »

bnz41 wrote:Our club shoot a Melville last month had a similar situation, we were just having plinking time when a chap walked over and said he was a clubs RCO from the next bay, could we slow down our rate of fire as they were training new members and our shooting was putting them off.
Our RCO said something along the lines of we are not doing anything wrong green55 to which the chap walked away. Several of us went to see what they were doing, long barreled pistols .22rf shooting at man shaped targets this being timed....when we were seen watching the same RCO asked what we were doing. Nothing else was said for the rest of the morning not even at the range office when we signed out.
kukkuk

Well, I was on Melville this morning and there was plenty of rapid fire going on not only on several bays in Melville but on the steel plate range off to the right.
Good job Mr. Officious wasn't there today - he'd have needed some valium lol
shugie
Past Supporter

#10 Post by shugie »

GeeRam wrote:
kukkuk

Well, I was on Melville this morning and there was plenty of rapid fire going on not only on several bays in Melville but on the steel plate range off to the right.
Good job Mr. Officious wasn't there today - he'd have needed some valium lol
I was contributing to the din on the steel plates, shooting speed steel challenge with Kentucky Firearms. Great fun that, and the CSR lot over on Century could hear it as well. The best time I heard in our squad was a shade under 2 seconds for five shots on five plates.

The tall dark haired range officer who used to reside in Melville was out and about, he spotted some complete nit wandering along the far side of butt zero from the road, apparently in search of the 900 yard firing point for Stickledown he'd happily wandered into the Butt Zero danger area out of our sight. He got what appeared to be a sound bollocking, and was then supervised for a bit by that same RO, drives a white pickup.