Lee Enfield Bayonets

Pre 1945 action rifles. Muzzle loading.

Moderator: dromia

DL.

Lee Enfield Bayonets

#1 Post by DL. »

Has the price of bayonets gone up markedly in recent years?

When I started shooting an SMLE bayonet with quillion could be had for <£200, they are silly money now.

Likewise I fancied a No.5 bayonet, they too are reassuringly expensive.

Was the price hike sudden? Or was it more of a gradual increase that I simply did not notice?

I see that SLR bayonets are £100+ I remember them selling for £40!

My savings are paying 0.01% interest, I should have put my money into militaria instead!
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

Re: Lee Enfield Bayonets

#2 Post by GeeRam »

DL. wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 5:01 pm My savings are paying 0.01% interest, I should have put my money into militaria instead!
And this is exactly why prices of all types of collectibles are going up and up.

If interest rates went back up to 5-6% or more then the prices of classic cars, classic bikes, militaria or in fact pretty much anything considered a niche collectible would likely start to fall back a little.

There was no jump in prices of bayonets (or anything else) its just been creeping up year by year.
redcat
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Teesdale P&R Club.

#3 Post by redcat »

I can recall seeing bayonets in antique shops in Edinburgh for 10/- each - that's 50p for those of you who don't remember old money.

Redcat
If you think you are a person of some importance, try ordering someone else's dog around.
PeterN

#4 Post by PeterN »

I paid £10 for my SMLE P07 bayonet at the Nottingham Arms Fair some years ago. Bayonets sometimes come up in the local auction house among all the other house clearance stuff. If you get a day when no-one is interested, you can pick up a bayonet quite cheaply compared to what a dealer will charge.
Regards
Peter.
GeeRam

#5 Post by GeeRam »

I got my P07 SMLE bayonet for free 25 years ago...........(sort of)
When I bought my 1940 BSA WD-M20 motorcycle, the previous owner included in the sale a suitcase full of random militaria he had bought/collected to go with it. Among the items (and all largely irrelevant to a Dispatch Rider's kit weirdly!) was a P07 bayonet. It wasn't until some years later while moving it from one box to another I looked at it and noticed it was dated 09 15, which was the same month my Great Uncle went MIA on the opening day of the Battle of Loos.......so it thus became a keeper long after I sold off almost all of the other militaria items I had collected over the years. Its also quite a rare one as well, being one of the only 100,000 or so made by Remington, and I've seen comparable Remington made P07's for sale at over £300 now .... :o
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#6 Post by Mattnall »

Recently bought a No5 at auction for a nice price and when it turned up it had a large ring bayonet included that I wasn't expecting - bonus :good:

So what do No5 bayonets go for these days? Not selling, just curious as to the bonus value.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
GeeRam

#7 Post by GeeRam »

Mattnall wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:07 am So what do No5 bayonets go for these days? Not selling, just curious as to the bonus value.
£250 to £300+ from the last ones I saw for sale by dealers.
Daryll
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

#8 Post by Daryll »

My son recently bought a LE, and that came with a bayonet,a No 9... (I think... bowie type knife blade), but no scabbard :o
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#9 Post by Mattnall »

GeeRam wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 5:05 pm
Mattnall wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:07 am So what do No5 bayonets go for these days? Not selling, just curious as to the bonus value.
Thank you.
Makes the rifle a very cheap No5 :D .
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
GeeRam

#10 Post by GeeRam »

Mattnall wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:34 am
GeeRam wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 5:05 pm
Thank you.
Makes the rifle a very cheap No5 :D .
Just finding a good No.5 these days is enough of a bonus cheers