Lee Enfield myths?

Pre 1945 action rifles. Muzzle loading.

Moderator: dromia

Musclebob

Re: Lee Enfield myths?

#11 Post by Musclebob »

Try shooting a Trapdoor Springfield.

I’ve lost count of the number of ‘distinguished gentlemen’ who’ve told me that it’s a weak action that is liable to blow up in my face.
ukrifleman
Past Supporter

#12 Post by ukrifleman »

The same type of rubbish was talked about M91 Carcano's in the 50's, which unfortunately is still doing the rounds on the web, saying they were weak and poorly made from inferior metals.
The truth of the matter is, that they were made from special steel produced by the Czechs for the Italians.

Dave Emery, the chief ballistician for Hornady, experimented with test loads and calculated that he subjected a M91 long rifle to over 90,000 psi, which required the bolt to be opened with a hammer and produced a case that resembled a belted magnum.

He stated that apart from a slight increase in headspace, the rifle was perfectly fine and went on to fire many more rounds quite satisfactorily.

ukrifleman
sandy22

#13 Post by sandy22 »

Bloke on the Range has a plausible video on You Tube showing .300 Win Mag being fired in a rebarrelled No.4.

They eventually blow it up using oiled rounds, but apparently only because it had all along, and unbeknownst to them, a defective right-hand locking lug.
shotgun sam

#14 Post by shotgun sam »

sandy22 wrote:Bloke on the Range has a plausible video on You Tube showing .300 Win Mag being fired in a rebarrelled No.4.

They eventually blow it up using oiled rounds, but apparently only because it had all along, and unbeknownst to them, a defective right-hand locking lug.
I watched that a few days ago worth a look.
mossberg 500
meteor mk2
smk 19 (0.22)
ruger 12/22 stainless synthetic 22lr
cz 452 style 16 inch 22lr
tikka t3 lite stainless 223
308 howa 1500 varmint
BSA Lightning XL (0.22)
Lanber Over and Under
Baikal mp153
AYA Cosmos 410
1917 BSA SMLE 303
Egg on Leggs1
Home club or Range: Kings Heath Rifle Club

#15 Post by Egg on Leggs1 »

Any truth to this one.

Lee Medford parts can be swapped with Lee Enfield parts with the ensuing mayhem of black powder parts be in used with modern ammunition.