Springfield 1903 early WW2 issue

Pre 1945 action rifles. Muzzle loading.

Moderator: dromia

rufrdr

Springfield 1903 early WW2 issue

#1 Post by rufrdr »

I don't know if I have shown this on the forum previously or not, so please forgive my failing memory if I have!

I received this from the Civilian Marksmanship Program. It doesn't have any Greek characteristics so it doesn't seem to be a MAP return.

It is an early 30s receiver with a SA 4-42 (my birth month) barrel. The stock is an early war 03/A3 with pins instead of the later reinforcing bolts. The handguard and the bolt are also WW2. My supposition is that the receiver was one of many made in the 30s and stored, then built up when WW2 erupted.

It is a great shooter but the rear sight is past usable for my old eyes. My eldest son has asked for it, so it will go to him whenever he wishes to come by and pick it up.

"Everybody dies...the thing is, to die well"

Jack Harper
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Springfield 1903 early WW2 issue

#2 Post by Ovenpaa »

Very nice. I have a very pretty Smith Corona M1903A3 from January 1943 with the 6 groove High Standard barrel as opposed to the later 2 groove variants. The main reason I chose it was because of the rear sight, it is an aperture type at the back so I can actually it shoot it with my old eyes.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
rufrdr

#3 Post by rufrdr »

Your rifle is desirable on this side of the Atlantic being a SC with the 6 groove barrel.

I could shoot mine pretty well with the tiny aperture on the leaf sight until about age 62 and then it went to crap for me. I'm even having trouble with the peep on a #4 now. Pretty much now if it isn't an optical sight of some sort, long distance shooting is hopeless for me. I just put a scope on my MAS 45 .22, got tired of struggling with the peep sight on it.

"Everybody dies...the thing is, to die well"

Jack Harper
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#4 Post by Ovenpaa »

They are fine rifles to shoot, mine is certainly a keeper.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
froggy
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: HPRP (UK) + Corsaires Malouins (France) + Czech Rep

#5 Post by froggy »

those Springfield are such beauties :good:

I just put a scope on my MAS 45 .22,
Mas 45 ... a man of impaccable tastes O:-)
Want to shoot pistol ? Don't retreat... reload & run forward !!
http://dynamicshootingcz.co.uk/
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#6 Post by GeeRam »

rufrdr wrote: I could shoot mine pretty well with the tiny aperture on the leaf sight until about age 62 and then it went to crap for me. I'm even having trouble with the peep on a #4 now. Pretty much now if it isn't an optical sight of some sort, long distance shooting is hopeless for me.
M1903 aren't that easy to come across in the UK, was half looking for one to fill my 30-06 slot, and get turned into a repro sniper with one of those x8 USMC repro scopes, but the chance of an equally rare Norwegian capture K98 coming up for sale, meant that was too good to turn down. Has taken a while to find a decent appropriate period German scope for the K98 though 8-)
Like you my eyes are now too bad to adequately shoot milsurps with the battle sights, can just about manage to shoot my LE No.5, and the K98 with the Noggie modded rear sight.
Only a couple years ago, I was happily shooting the No.5 at 600 yards :cry: