Winchester P14 dated reproduction Sniper

Pre 1945 action rifles. Muzzle loading.

Moderator: dromia

Mauserbill
Home club or Range: Range

Winchester P14 dated reproduction Sniper

#1 Post by Mauserbill »

Hello
Thanks to all for the information on where to find the date on my Winchester P14 manufacture 1916.
It was indeed on the barrel forward of the mounting screw, as can be seen in the picture (stamped 16). The barrel is number matched to the action so I am assuming its all original. The rifle is fitted with a pattern copy scope mount and a Pecar 4x Champion scope. The rifle is very accurate, my range is only 100M but it shoots the Dogs Bs. I know from past posts that the purists will not like the reproduction, but when your eyes go and you still want to shoot needs must, I much prefer the look of this to the modern type of scope mounting systems. When it comes to selling as all things must, It will be listed as a copy/repro/and not in any way purporting to be original.
Attachments
P1080895.JPG
P1080894.JPG
Gundog
Home club or Range: Morecambe Rifle & Pistol Club. Sedbergh Shooting Club.

Re: Winchester P14 dated reproduction Sniper

#2 Post by Gundog »

Mauserbill wrote:Hello
Thanks to all for the information on where to find the date on my Winchester P14 manufacture 1916.
It was indeed on the barrel forward of the mounting screw, as can be seen in the picture (stamped 16). The barrel is number matched to the action so I am assuming its all original. The rifle is fitted with a pattern copy scope mount and a Pecar 4x Champion scope. The rifle is very accurate, my range is only 100M but it shoots the Dogs Bs. I know from past posts that the purists will not like the reproduction, but when your eyes go and you still want to shoot needs must, I much prefer the look of this to the modern type of scope mounting systems. When it comes to selling as all things must, It will be listed as a copy/repro/and not in any way purporting to be original.

Hi
I do agree with the part of your text above “purists will not like the reproduction”, on saying that the last original Winchester P14 T sniper rifle I saw sold, one of the ones sold off by the southern Irish government marked with FF, (Fiana Foil), sold in America for round about $10,000 so unless we pay that amount of money a copy is ‘perhaps’ the only way to go, now if you mounted a correct model 1918 scope that perhaps would be a step to far presuming you could find one for sale, then I would want the rifle permanently inscribed say on top of the barrel beneath the hand guard denoting ” copy” made by ?

I will ask, the scope mounts used are I think “ Accumounts” from America, did you indeed fit them yourself, if so there is no taking it away from you it looks a great job, or was it a skilled friend who fitted them, either way part of the sight protecting fence would have to be removed.
It does come to some of us the need for scoped rifles if we want to continue enjoying shooting!
I myself purchased a P14 with overbore scope mounts very similar to your mounts and used an obviously made and marked German scope but it does allow me to see the target for a change.
Enjoy shooting yours down at your club range.
Mauserbill

#3 Post by Mauserbill »

Hello
The mount was indeed from Accumounts (very good reproductions not like the very cheap and nasty Canadian or Chinese) and the installation was all my own work. I really like the Pecar range of scopes, but they are getting hard to find and really expensive. I am also considering acquiring a Remington P14 with side mounted aperture PH target sights that I have been offered. I would recommend anyone thinking of purchasing a P14/17 to buy it, if you can fine a good one at a reasonable price, they are excellent rifles.
Gundog

#4 Post by Gundog »

The mount was indeed from Accumounts (very good reproductions not like the very cheap and nasty Canadian or Chinese) and the installation was all my own work. I really like the Pecar range of scopes, but they are getting hard to find and really expensive. I am also considering acquiring a Remington P14 with side mounted aperture PH target sights that I have been offered. I would recommend anyone thinking of purchasing a P14/17 to buy it, if you can fine a good one at a reasonable price, they are excellent rifles.
Could I ask what size scope mounts did you purchase for the Pecar scope, are they a 1” tube or a 22mm tube?
I dare say to fit the scope mounts onto the tube you would have to strip the scope ocular lens and the elevation and windage turrets, is this difficult to do or relatively easily done?
Mauserbill

#5 Post by Mauserbill »

Hello

Accumounts supply these mounts in three sizes 22mm/1in/and 26.5mm cost at present is $299 + postage.
I opted to purchase the 26.5mm as this give you flexibility, you can use the purpose made steel shims to mount either 1in or 26.5mm scopes. Pecar scopes come in both sizes depending on the model you have. You are correct in that the rear lens and the vertical and lateral adjusters have to be removed, on the Pecar this is not a difficult operation (just be careful and take your time, watch out for the reticule as these are very delicate). When obtaining other scopes ensure that the adjusters are removable as some manufacturers stake them and this makes it impossible to remove them.
Attachments
P14 mounts.png
P14 mounts.png (55.74 KiB) Viewed 1620 times
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#6 Post by GeeRam »

Nice.

I do like P14/P17's.

We have 2 club members with them, one a P14 and the other a P17, and our club rifle is a Winchester made P14 converted to a target rifle with heavy 7.62 barrel and cut furniture and PH sights, and that shoots very well.

I also get the repro sniper look for us aging eyesighters..... :oops:

I'm lucky in having a mint original 4T, but I intend scoping my K98, but as its a Norwegian capture, converted by them to 30-06 post war, it can't ever be claimed to be an original K98 sniper, so I'm comfortable with that.
Gundog

#7 Post by Gundog »

Accumounts supply these mounts in three sizes 22mm/1in/and 26.5mm cost at present is $299 + postage.
I opted to purchase the 26.5mm as this give you flexibility, you can use the purpose made steel shims to mount either 1in or 26.5mm scopes. Pecar scopes come in both sizes depending on the model you have. You are correct in that the rear lens and the vertical and lateral adjusters have to be removed, on the Pecar this is not a difficult operation (just be careful and take your time, watch out for the reticule as these are very delicate). When obtaining other scopes ensure that the adjusters are removable as some manufacturers stake them and this makes it impossible to remove them.

Thank you for your very informative information, I do see the point of view of the ‘purists’ but so long as there is no deception intended and any clones are marked as such I don’t see why a person such as yourself can’t build himself a scoped military rifle.

It does look good well done you!