Mosin Nagant trigger pull improvement

Pre 1945 action rifles. Muzzle loading.

Moderator: dromia

Mauserbill
Home club or Range: Range

Mosin Nagant trigger pull improvement

#1 Post by Mauserbill »

Hello
How do I further improve the trigger pull on a Mosina.
To date I have tried fitting a thin washer under the sear spring fixing screw, also polishing the sear spring hook. (YouTube)
I really don`t want to start removing metal without a good reason, as spares are now getting a bit sparse on the ground.
Is it possible to get to around 2LBS release or am I dreaming.
James84

Re: Mosin Nagant trigger pull improvement

#2 Post by James84 »

Can't help on the original trigger but I did shoot a colleague's Mosin in the Czech Republic and he had a 1.5lb Timney trigger in it. It was very nice to shoot, but it also involves cutting out a chunk from inside the stock to house it... He removed the manual safety from the side of the unit so you couldn't tell it was in there.

I did contemplate putting one in my repro PE sniper but I didn't want to cut out the stock, even though it's only a repro.
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#3 Post by snayperskaya »

Mauserbill wrote:Hello
How do I further improve the trigger pull on a Mosina.
To date I have tried fitting a thin washer under the sear spring fixing screw, also polishing the sear spring hook. (YouTube)
I really don`t want to start removing metal without a good reason, as spares are now getting a bit sparse on the ground.
Is it possible to get to around 2LBS release or am I dreaming.
The washer under the sear spring isn't the best, or safest, method and can be unreliable and can lead to the sear spring snapping.Polish the top of the sear spring at the point it sits on the underside of the trigger to remove any machining marks etc and polish the inside of the trigger box where the sear spring sits..The profile of the sear hook at the point it sits against the cocking piece can be smoothed and polished but just a little and often and assemble the trigger, try it and repeat as you want to smooth it without removing very much metal at all.....don't use a Dremel!.

Also check the trigger itself isn't fouling on the sides of the cut out in the trigger guard/mag assembly, if it is smooth the sides of the cut out.

You can also remove a coil or two from the firing pin spring.If you fit the bolt and cock the rifle (check chamber is empty!) and look at the cocking piece from the side as you squeeze the trigger you will sometimes see the cocking piece at the back of the bolt move downwards as you slowly squeeze the trigger.If you remove a coil or two it will stop that happening and will ease the trigger pull slightly and also make the bolt a bit easier to cycle.The firing pin will function as normal as the spring is much stronger than it needs to be, the Russians had very hard primers!.I have taken a couple of coils off a few times and the results have always been positive and never had an issue with light strikes etc.

When doing any mods to the trigger make sure you test regularly, assemble everything, cock the rifle and bang the butt on the floor to ensure it doesn't go off in the event of the rifle being knocked.I doubt you'll get down to a 2lb pull and it still be safe, the pull on my PU sniper is around 4lb and very smooth and I won't try to get it any lighter to be honest.

If you can find one a Finnish M39 trigger/sear spring will give you a true two-stage trigger, these are probably the best trigger ever fitted to a Mosin.A Finnish seller called "want4what" on Ebay was selling these and if he hasn't got them listed it's worth dropping a message to see if he can get one.I have had quite a few items off him (including complete Soviet 1pn34 NV scopes) and the shipping etc is always fast and he usually has quite a few Mosin parts listed.
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
snayperskaya
Past Supporter

#4 Post by snayperskaya »

As a side note I have shot my Mosins and the Dragunov using my middle finger on the trigger and my index finger lying along the side of the stock/receiver and have found that the trigger pull "feels" reduced and it feels comfortable to shoot like that.Maybe its psychological but it also seems that any tendency to cant the rifle/scope is also reduced.

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

RDC

#5 Post by RDC »

I just fitted a timney trigger in mine. I tried the mods you see suggested on various sites, but it was still awful. Eventually the Romqney trigger turned up and I couldn't be happier with it.
Lancs Lad
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Diggle / Altcar and anywhere else that will have me.

#6 Post by Lancs Lad »

I managed to acquire one of the Finnish triggers which I fitted to my M38 carbine and it made a HUGE difference.
It must have been around 5 years ago since then but I recall that in total, it cost around £18 for the trigger and postage.
Took about 10 minutes to fit it.

:flag13: LL
ukrifleman
Past Supporter

#7 Post by ukrifleman »

I copied the method in the following video and my 1944 PU now has a crisp 3.5lb trigger pull.

ukrifleman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RlsxqR_keM
snayperskaya
Past Supporter

#8 Post by snayperskaya »

ukrifleman wrote:I copied the method in the following video and my 1944 PU now has a crisp 3.5lb trigger pull.

ukrifleman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RlsxqR_keM
My PU is a '44 as well, whats the two letter prefix at the start of the serial number?.

WelshShooter
Site Supporter Since 2016

#9 Post by WelshShooter »

Lancs Lad wrote:I managed to acquire one of the Finnish triggers which I fitted to my M38 carbine and it made a HUGE difference.
It must have been around 5 years ago since then but I recall that in total, it cost around £18 for the trigger and postage.

Is that the one with a mouse trap spring? My M24 Finnish Mosina has one of these triggers and they're great.
snayperskaya
Past Supporter

#10 Post by snayperskaya »

WelshShooter wrote:
Lancs Lad wrote:I managed to acquire one of the Finnish triggers which I fitted to my M38 carbine and it made a HUGE difference.

Is that the one with a mouse trap spring? My M24 Finnish Mosina has one of these triggers and they're great.
The M24 and M28 have the "mouse trap" spring, but the M39 trigger has two small steel pins added for the sear spring to ride on.