Thinking of going down the 6.5 x 55 Swedish Mauser road.

Pre 1945 action rifles. Muzzle loading.

Moderator: dromia

Gundog
Home club or Range: Morecambe Rifle & Pistol Club. Sedbergh Shooting Club.

Re: Thinking of going down the 6.5 x 55 Swedish Mauser road.

#21 Post by Gundog »

That’s a super clean m96? as you say unissued unfired and it certainly looks like it, no wonder you couldn’t resist it, don’t think I could have walked away from that one well done you!!
Thank you for showing me.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#22 Post by dromia »

Before going for one of the snipers I would really try handling one in the firing positions you are most likely to use at the very least, shooting one would be even better, the high scope mount is a real issue and unless you can handle its height then you will never get to appreciate the accuracy they are capable of and find ownership expensively frustrating.

If scopes are a must then look at the no gunsmithing mounts that are available that use long eye relief scopes on the 96's.

Comparing the No4T to the M41 is apples and oranges as the No4T has far lower scope mounts, in fact the No4T is the the only original sniper rifle that I still have and shoot as it fits well and getting the best accuracy potential from it is easy and comfortable.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Gundog
Home club or Range: Morecambe Rifle & Pistol Club. Sedbergh Shooting Club.

#23 Post by Gundog »

I suppose I’m comparable with most people in that when you have really set your mind on something you become somewhat focused on that particular item and almost blind to anything else that’s around at that moment in time.
Corresponding with a particularly well informed and extremely helpful guy who has both the No4t and the m41/B, (both genuine originals) in conversation he mentioned that under certain circumstances with the emphasis on light and shade and ‘distance’ it was his personal preference to use the m41/B with it’s better light gathering qualities and if you think about it it’s quite obvious the larger scope on the Swede will give you that distinct advantage!
I do own a No4 mk2 and am very pleased when shooting this very easy, reliable, accurate rifle and many are the times that I have contemplated scoping this particular gun, but then again for me it’s not an original scoped No4. I have used a No4t and the experience was fabulous, at one time thinking of purchasing one ‘but’ that area is an even greater mine field of faked copies!
I will continue to search for a completely original m41 m41/B, I’m definitely up for a challenge and even though you have taken up some of your valuable time to try, and may I add without success, to convince me that the No4t would be a far easier to use sniper rifle option I am sticking to my original choice!
Thank you for your input I will take it on board but I am transfixed on my particular choice.