Enfield No.4 Mk1/2

Pre 1945 action rifles. Muzzle loading.

Moderator: dromia

Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Enfield No.4 Mk1/2

#11 Post by Ovenpaa »

bnz41 wrote:Thanks for that, seems Ok from those marks, but I thought proof marks had to be visible without having to remove the wood first.

Enjoy your range time when you get chance.
Not really if it is an older proof as this one is. More recently the proof houses have taken to stamping just behind the muzzle as well however they certainly had not adopted such a practice in the 1970's when this was done.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
MotorRacingBruce1980
Home club or Range: 5th Sussex Home Guard Rifle Club Worthing, Ford/Yapton, Fittleworth, Bisley

#12 Post by MotorRacingBruce1980 »

Ovenpaa wrote:
bnz41 wrote:Thanks for that, seems Ok from those marks, but I thought proof marks had to be visible without having to remove the wood first.

Enjoy your range time when you get chance.
Not really if it is an older proof as this one is. More recently the proof houses have taken to stamping just behind the muzzle as well however they certainly had not adopted such a practice in the 1970's when this was done.

Was getting a little worried until you cleared that up!
Anschutz Supermatch54, CZ452 LTH, Savage 16 FCSS 223, Ruger No1 243,
Enfield No4 Mk1/2 303, Mauser M18 308, Martini Henry Mk3 577/450, Chiappa 1892 357mag, Franchi Affin 12g, Miroku Mk38 GD5 Trap 12g, Ugartechea BLE SxS 12g, BSA R10 22, Webley Alecto 177
Rearlugs

#13 Post by Rearlugs »

Well, sorry to be the bearer of not-so-good news, but I think what you have there is a rifle that has recently been built from parts by someone, and in a way that tries to pass it off as an original rifle.

The mark on the receiver ring is "Stensby", the Manchester gunsmith that closed a few years ago. This almost certainly means that the rifle was originally a normal No4 Mk2 that Stensbys then converted into centre-bedded SRb .303" target rifle or a 7.62mm L39-style. As an SRb, the forend will have been relieved at the front and a centre block installed; as a 7.62mm the forend will have been cut back and channelled for the heavy barrel. Ergo the current forend is a new replacement. Similarly, its unlikely that early wartime Sykes Limited wood (the "SL" on the butt) would be fitted to a new production 1950s Fazakerley, albeit, the PF- number dates from about 1948.

None of the number markings are original factory. The receiver has been partially scrubbed, and then re-blacked and engraved with that number. The bolt has had its original number ground off and the new number stamped, so it too is a replacement part. The way the numbers are stamped on the bolt and the magazine is a bit iffy for Stensbys, so these were probably done by someone else. The wood forend has been numbered in the style of the original but, as the forend is a replacement, this is an attempt to pass it off as original.

p.s. I don't see a distinct proof mark on the bolt head. From your notes, the barrel has had Birmingham proof. Thus there should be "Crown BNP" stamps on the receiver (usually left side of receiver ring), the bolt (usually underside of bolt knob), and the flat of the bolt head. The crossed flags on the bolt head are military inspection marks, and not commercial proof. The squiggle to the right of the flags in the photo just might be the London mark. If so, there shouldn't be a mix of Birmingham/London marks, as this shows that the rifle has not been reproofed since pressure-bearing parts were swapped around.

This doesn't detract from the rifle itself; any well put together No4 should shoot very well, and its up to the owner whether they like the cosmetic appearance or not. One just have to be careful that you are not paying a premium price for a "bitsa" thats being passed off as an original condition in unused/little used condition.
MotorRacingBruce1980
Home club or Range: 5th Sussex Home Guard Rifle Club Worthing, Ford/Yapton, Fittleworth, Bisley

#14 Post by MotorRacingBruce1980 »

Well it is what it is. I bought it as a shooter to be used so if it is a bitsa that shoots well then I'm happy.

The barrel is centre bedded but it still has a little up pressure at the muzzle so don't think its been relieved on the woodwork.

I've smoked all the locking faces to check bolt fitment and whoever has changed the bolt has done a good job of the fitting and its nice and smooth too.

From the grain and colour of woodwork I think the butt and forend are matching and just the upper sections have been changed but its difficult to be certain.

I thought all Mk2 actions had the cutaway type bolt release not the spring loaded plunger type but will await confirmation on that.
Enfield No4 Mk1/2 303, Mauser M18 308, Martini Henry Mk3 577/450, Chiappa 1892 357mag, Franchi Affin 12g, Miroku Mk38 GD5 Trap 12g, Ugartechea BLE SxS 12g, BSA R10 22, Webley Alecto 177
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#15 Post by dromia »

At least you don't need to feel too bad about using that "stain" on the woodwork now. :D

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Rem260

#16 Post by Rem260 »

I thought all Mk2 actions had the cutaway type bolt release not the spring loaded plunger type but will await confirmation on that.[/quote]

During the course of the Second World War, the No. 4 rifle was further simplified for mass-production with the creation of the No. 4 Mk I* in 1942, with the bolt release catch replaced by a simpler notch on the bolt track of the rifle's receiver.[42] It was produced only in North America, by Small Arms Limited at Long Branch in Canada and Stevens-Savage Firearms in the USA.[42] The No.4 Mk I rifle was primarily produced for the United Kingdom.

It is normal for the MK 2 to have a spring loaded plunger.
MotorRacingBruce1980

#17 Post by MotorRacingBruce1980 »

Rem260 wrote:I thought all Mk2 actions had the cutaway type bolt release not the spring loaded plunger type but will await confirmation on that.
During the course of the Second World War, the No. 4 rifle was further simplified for mass-production with the creation of the No. 4 Mk I* in 1942, with the bolt release catch replaced by a simpler notch on the bolt track of the rifle's receiver.[42] It was produced only in North America, by Small Arms Limited at Long Branch in Canada and Stevens-Savage Firearms in the USA.[42] The No.4 Mk I rifle was primarily produced for the United Kingdom.

It is normal for the MK 2 to have a spring loaded plunger.[/quote]

This is a MK1/2 so a MK1 that was FTR'd and had the MK2 revisions made to it, hence spring and plunger bolt release.

I think the main revision being the trigger pivot point relocated to the action instead of the trigger guard.