Enfield T4 zeroing problem.

Pre 1945 action rifles. Muzzle loading.

Moderator: dromia

Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

Enfield T4 zeroing problem.

#1 Post by Alpha1 »

I have a T4 I thought it was time I started shooting it. It came fitted with none gun smithing scope rail. I fitted a night force scope to it and tok it to the range. I tried to zero it at 100 yards with no success. I asked some of the other guys who have more experience than me with scopes to zero it. They had no success. I stuck it back in the cabinet and forgot about it. To day I had access to a 25 yard range that allows you to shoot full bore so I took it with me. I managed to get it on the paper but at twenty five yards it shoots 4 inches high but I ran out of adjustment on the scope. Im thinking its the rail but I would appreciate any input from someone with more experience. Scopes are a dark art to me.
Alpha1

Re: Enfield T4 zeroing problem.

#2 Post by Alpha1 »

I took the scope off when I got home and removed the mount the mount has been shimmed this makes me think the previous owner may have had some issues with it.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#3 Post by Ovenpaa »

I would wind the elevation turret all the way back to zero, remove all of the shimming and bore sight it. Then add shimming to the rear to bring it down a suitable zero. Assuming the rail is at zero MOA for a 125mm ring centres and 20 minutes of elevation you need around 0.73mm and for 30 minutes just under 1.1mm. Of course the original rail and bracket may be displaying a significant variation already so it is worth taking the everything off, cleaning everything and attaching it again.

Shout if you need to know more.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
WelshShooter
Site Supporter Since 2016

#4 Post by WelshShooter »

Is this the type of mount which has a wedge through the clip charging bridge? In my experience, this wedge needs to be screwed in tight to the scope mount otherwise it will flop around and not hold a zero.

Also, did you try the old trick of bore sighting? If not, remove the bolt from the rifle, set the rifle up on a rest, "aim" the rifle down range so your target is dead centre as you look through the bore, then adjust your scope to match the same point of aim. Doing this trick has got me on target to within a foot at 100m with all my scoped rifles.

Don't forget to set your elevation and windage on your scope back to "centre" as well!
25-bore_sighting1.jpg
25-bore_sighting1.jpg (22.72 KiB) Viewed 1986 times
Chapuis

#5 Post by Chapuis »

Ovenpaa wrote:I would wind the elevation turret all the way back to zero, remove all of the shimming and bore sight it. Then add shimming to the rear to bring it down a suitable zero. Assuming the rail is at zero MOA for a 125mm ring centres and 20 minutes of elevation you need around 0.73mm and for 30 minutes just under 1.1mm. Of course the original rail and bracket may be displaying a significant variation already so it is worth taking the everything off, cleaning everything and attaching it again.

Wouldn't you shim the front not the back to reduce the elevation?

Personally I would centre the scope before bore sighting but as you say the first thing to do is to clean everything off and get it back to a good start position. Just the slightest amount of locktite left in place can make all the difference.
Ovenpaa

#6 Post by Ovenpaa »

I cannot think of a rifle I have worked on that needed shimming at the front, however I am sure they exist. Having said that I tend not to shoot 'scoped centre fires at 25m other than possibly to set a windage zero and even that is dependant on bullet type. I usually bore sight and then zero either at 100, set one inch high for overland or on target at 100 for target dependant on elevation available. My ideal is the mechanical zero to be one or maybe two clicks below zero at 100m for a milrad 'scope then I know when would down to a stop I am at just under 100 without having to look, handy for working at night.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal

#7 Post by 1066 »

Alpha1 wrote:I have a T4 I thought it was time I started shooting it. It came fitted with none gun smithing scope rail. I fitted a night force scope to it and tok it to the range. I tried to zero it at 100 yards with no success. I asked some of the other guys who have more experience than me with scopes to zero it. They had no success. I stuck it back in the cabinet and forgot about it. To day I had access to a 25 yard range that allows you to shoot full bore so I took it with me. I managed to get it on the paper but at twenty five yards it shoots 4 inches high but I ran out of adjustment on the scope. Im thinking its the rail but I would appreciate any input from someone with more experience. Scopes are a dark art to me.

Really need a No 32 scope on there Alpha - they do some fairly reasonable replicas now.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/No-32-MK-I-s ... 0005.m1851
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
Alpha1

#8 Post by Alpha1 »

I have taken the scope and rail off. I have taken the windage and elevation turrets back to zero. I have removed the shims and cleaned everything up. The plan is to replace the mount and scope and bore sight it one night this week of a bench at 25 yards. Saturday I will attempt to zero it at 100 yards.A couple of other people who know more about scopes than me have had a go at zeroing it at 100 yards with out any success.
(What I know about scopes setting up and the use of could be written on the back of a postage stamp.)
Alpha1

#9 Post by Alpha1 »

Ovenpaa wrote:I would wind the elevation turret all the way back to zero, remove all of the shimming and bore sight it. Then add shimming to the rear to bring it down a suitable zero. Assuming the rail is at zero MOA for a 125mm ring centres and 20 minutes of elevation you need around 0.73mm and for 30 minutes just under 1.1mm. Of course the original rail and bracket may be displaying a significant variation already so it is worth taking the everything off, cleaning everything and attaching it again.

I have removed the rail and cleaned everything up. The shims that are currently fitted are 0.38mm so according to your figures I need to fit some thicker shims. I will cut some thicker shims to morrow at work and start again. Thanks for the input.

teanews hmm what's next.
Alpha1

#10 Post by Alpha1 »

I sat down this evening with a pencil and paper and tried to get my head round this scope rail rings business. What the previous owner has done he has actually shimmed the scope rail the no gunsmithing mount had two shims one on each side of the rail. Because of the design of the rail and the way it fits to the action he has raised the rail or if you like canted it up over. Not what I wanted so I have removed the shims and will bore sight it benched at 25 yards without them then shoot it for zero at 100 yards. If I still have an issue I will shim the rear scope mount and not the rail. Does this make sense.