An early Smith Corona M1903A3 30-06

Pre 1945 action rifles. Muzzle loading.

Moderator: dromia

Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

An early Smith Corona M1903A3 30-06

#1 Post by Ovenpaa »

Firstly I feel I should point out this is not a definitive historical article, it is simply a few words on a new to me rifle. Shooting for me is so many things including, owning and understanding a rifle and its origins, plus the history and mechanics of the design. This means I will detail some of the more interesting points and might even skirt over some of the general history of a rifle model however this is about the rifle I have in my hands right now.

OK, well that is the disclaimer over, so what is this ‘new’ rifle?

This is a USA produced rifle dated January 1943 and was the final iteration of the M1903 Springfield. There was a later ‘sniper’ variant the 1903A4 and National Match (Target) variants however as far as the battle rifle go this is the last model 1903 variant to be built.

This particular rifle was built by L.C. Smith & Corona Typewriter Co. of Syracuse, N.Y. who were better known for typewriters. It is is not unusual for companies to diversify in times of need and Smith Corona also produced fuses and cipher machines during the second world war and lets face it, if they could build typewriters quality should not be a problem and the Smith Corona 1903A3 had a very good reputation for build quality and accuracy. This particular rifle being the A3 variant differed from earlier models in several ways however the notable changes were centred around cost and material saving and speed of production (Not at the cost of quality) So a new rear sight, the forward mounted and complex leaf sight being replaced with a low profile rear peep sight which gave a longer sight radius and was less prone to being damaged. Some of the metalwork moved to pressed from milled and the finger grooves were discarded. This particular rifle is fitted with the small bow trigger guard, otherwise it was a typically robust 5 shot Springfield rifle.
03A3.jpeg
The ’03A3 was also produced by Remington however in greater numbers and apparently of very similar quality which was to be expected as Remington have been known to make a rifle or two…

Final production figures tend to vary slightly, it is suggested 234,580 M1903A3s from Smith Corona, Remington who continued production slightly longer, produced 707,629 M1903A3s rifles. Brophy disagrees and suggests the SC build is 236,831.

This Smith Corona M1903 A3 (03A3) has a serial number 3633137 which means it was around number 25137 off the SC production line so in January 1943 with production starting late 1942 and ending in 1944 when there was no longer a need for such a rifle.

The 24 inch barrel is chambered in 30-06 Springfield with a 6 groove SC marked barrel. The 6 groove is fairly unusual and would have been supplied by High Standard in the early days of production before the move to 4 groove and a few 2 groove towards the end of ’43. I have read that only 5,000 6 groove barrel were available at the start of production however being a January 1943 build this rifle is a bit further on in the build numbers
IMG_4058.jpeg
The 24 inch barrel is free floating and this particular barrel is scarily good, as I was writing this article I also cleaned the barrel. My normal cleaning regime for such a rifle is Methylated spirits first to remove any oil and dust followed by the tried and tested C2R process inter spaced with a few cups of coffee.

Top row is the Meths and you can see the dust and dirt. Second row is C2R for around 45 minutes as is the third row. What was immediately apparent is there was no copper fouling as such, nor lead fouling so it is not as if the rifle was shot in civilian hands with cast bullets. The fourth row is the final patch out and finish with Meths prior to oiling and I have to say the 6 groove barrel is squeaky clean and as bright as the day it was produced. One thing that I immediately noticed was just how smooth the patching process was. I have cleaned a lot of rifles in my life and can often tell the condition of the barrel as the patch is pushed through and this is about as good as it gets.
IMG_4057.jpeg
This does make me wonder exactly what the history of this rifle is. The finish is the normal Parkerised receiver and metal parts with the exception of the blacked bolt. The wood has possibly been very lightly sanded however the stamps are readily visible, the bore as mentioned is as good as it gets and the stamps have been whitened. Now I do see whitened stamps quite often on older rifles, chalk is usually used however the stamps on this rifle have been paint filled very neatly. The rifle came over to the UK from the USA in 2012 according to the UK Proof stamp and has been in private hands ever since, I had known about this rifle for a while as it was in the hands of a friend. It would be interesting to find out a bit more of the rifles ownership in its later USA years, something for a bit more research one day.

The bolt is the typical Mauser esque Cock on open controlled feed type action with three lugs.
SC Bolt.jpeg
The bolt is missing the later ‘X’ stamp however it does have the number ‘1’ on the underside of the handle, so confirming it is an early production item however the Parkerised ‘shroud’ is not something I have come across before. Having said that the Parkerised finish does match the rest of the rifle.

The blacking is remarkably good and the picture does not do it justice and the bolt face is pristine so I am beginning to wonder just how much work this rifle has seen in its last 75+ years.

The rifle has a Parkerised nickel steel receiver and parts with a blacked bolt as normal for the SC.

The magazine cut-off to left rear of receiver in about the same place as the K98 Mauser and in keeping with the Mauser this also acts as the bolt release in the middle position.

The rifle is fitted with a NoBuckle 1 1/4 inch buff canvas sling (Correctly fitted!) and I have so far resisted the temptation to swap it for a leather M1907 sling so often seen on Springfield rifles.

Inspectors stamp ('FJA' Frank J. Atwood) is evident on the American Black Walnut stock.

As far as wartime use the 1903A3 saw action with the US forces throughout WWII, and saw action during the Korean and Vietnam wars.

Specifications:

Caliber: .30-06 Government
Rifling & Twist: 4 Groove, Right Hand Twist, 1 turn in 10 inches
Barrel Length: 24 inches
Overall Length: 43.5 inches
Weight: 8lbs, 10oz.
Magazine Capacity: 5 rounds, loaded with chargers
Qty Mfg 236,831 made by Smith Corona (Brophy)

The sight protector is un-stamped however it looks to be the correct era as opposed to one of the numerous reproductions available these days, front sight is a blade and I believe it can accept 5 different height sight blades if a change of elevation for zeroing is required. I may need to replace the blade when I decide on the final load for the ammunition I will load. I would have liked to have duplicated the M2 Ball of the time however I no longer have any 150 grain flat base projectiles and sourcing some is going to be interesting. I may end up using the SMK #2155 155 grain Palma although the 175 grain SMK is also an option.

OK, so a great little rifle, what is wrong with it? – Well surprisingly little as far as I can tell. Yes the Parkerised bolt sleeve is unusual and it is not scalloped so maybe a Remington however it lacks any stamps and is a perfect match to the rifle. That possible light sanding to the stock and the front sling swivel screw is wrong so I need to source a new one to correct the issue, other than that, oh and I have not shot it yet, the whole package looks to be very nice and I am delighted to have got my hands on it.

Finally a brief comment on the M2 Ball ammunition that was originally used with this rifle.

M2 Ball utilised a 150 grain copper over lead projectile and there was also the M2 Ball (Alternative) again a 150 grain projectile however it had a steel metal jacket with copper gilding and was a cost saving variant produced from 1943-45. You can easily tell if you have the M2 Ball Alternative as the projectile is easily picked up with a magnet.

Some examples: On the left is M2 Ball and to the right is M2 Ball Alternative with the following head stamps:

LC Lake City Ammunition Plant, Lake City, MO
DEN Denver Ordnance Plant, Denver, CO
IMG_4055.jpeg
Unfortunately these cases and projectiles had been pulled before they got to me so I am not sure if the M2 Ball Alternative was LC or DEN produced. Right now I am leaning towards the Lake City however I could be very wrong. Something to research at a later date.

On a final note, I know we have may forum members who undoubtedly know far more than I do about such rifles so I would be interested to hear any comments/corrections or observations.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

Re: An early Smith Corona M1903A3 30-06

#2 Post by dromia »

Nice rifle, I love my Springfields they have to be the easiest rifles to load for and get to shoot accurately, they will almost shoot any load well.

Just a point of correction, it the rifle was fired using properly made and loaded cast bullets then there would be no signs of leading 'pon cleaning so the assumption that it was not shot with lead may not apply.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#3 Post by GeeRam »

Lovely '03, and nice to have a more rare SC made one as well goodjob

I was seriously toying with filling my 30-06 slot with a '03, but the Norwegian capture K98 turned up instead and I wasn't going to let that slip through my fingers.
bnz41
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#4 Post by bnz41 »

Nice rifle you have there. goodjob

I have a Remington 03 all matching dated March 1943 it's never been up graded still has the pins through the lower wood not the screws added during re furb (yours has the screws). These are excellent rifles to shoot if a little heavy on recoil (not for me).

If looking for the rifles history before arriving on our shores I would contact http://www.byswordandmusket.co.uk He seems to have been the main importer of these rifles over recent years I have owned mine for almost 5 years bought from a FB member sadly had to give up shooting due to relocation, he bought it from this RFD. So yours may have come from him.

Ref M2 ball ammo, I managed to buy years ago some FNM M2 factory ammo the brass is reloadable when it's gone I will reload it. I found a company in Germany that could supply 150gr flat base bullets sorry David can't remember the company name, I did not get any as the shipping was expensive.

Enjoy shooting it.
Ovenpaa

#5 Post by Ovenpaa »

Neil, Yes, it would have been originally issued with the type 10 stock originally so the type 11 it is now wearing is probably post war and these things were in use a long time after WW2 so it could be any time. Personally looking at the general condition, I doubt it saw much service regardless of the stock fitted. Oh to know a bit more of the history of this rifle.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Ovenpaa

#6 Post by Ovenpaa »

If the drawing on the page is anything to go by these look a lot like the M2 Ball I have here: https://www.henrykrank.com/reloading/bu ... k-100.html

Of course dimensions would be good, they need to be in the range of 1.120"

EDIT, the PPU 099 is apparently the same length as the M2 Ball projectile.
/d

Shed Journal
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#7 Post by snayperskaya »

A very nice rifle indeed and plenty of history :good:

If it spent most of its time in the States it may be worth a post in the appropriate sub-forum on the Gunboards forum, it may reveal some of it's history as a lot of seriously knowledgeable collectors on there.
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#8 Post by GeeRam »

snayperskaya wrote:A very nice rifle indeed and plenty of history :good:

If it spent most of its time in the States it may be worth a post in the appropriate sub-forum on the Gunboards forum, it may reveal some of it's history as a lot of seriously knowledgeable collectors on there.
Or the dedicated M1903 section on Milsurps.
rufrdr

#9 Post by rufrdr »

A very nice SC 03A3!

Interestingly when I was a young man in the 70s, the SC 03A3 was considered second tier compared to the Remington, due to the Remington being made by a 'real' firearms company compared to Smith-Corona which was a typewriter manufacturer. Remington-Rand, another typewriter manufacturer produced a huge number of 1911A1 pistols during WW2. R-R was not the same as Remington Arms.

I can't add much to what was written about the 03A3 except to say that there is a good chance that the rifle written about here was sold by the U.S. government through the Director of Civilian Marksmanship in the 50s and 60s. Huge numbers of arms were sold to the American public back in those more innocent days.

More recently the successor agency to the DCM, the Civilian Marksmanship Program, sold a quantity of 03 and 03A3 rifles returned from Greece (the stipulation of the Foreign Military Assistance Program is that arms are returned to the U.S. when the receiving country is finished with them) as well as arms issued to veteran's organizations and returned when individual veteran's posts have closed. As an aside, the CMP was beneficiary of a number of Krag rifles returned by said shuttered veteran's posts! The CMP also sold huge quantities of LC M2 ball, lesser quantities of M2 AP, and even larger quantities of HXP M2 ball, truly superior .30 ball. I bought LC, HXP and Danish .30 ball when it showed up on the market.

I recently sold a Remington 03A3 that was in unused condition, looking like it was made yesterday. It had stood in the corner of a room in a house for decades after being purchased from the DCM. It is fortunate that the stock didn't warp from standing like that for so long. It was a great shoot. I bought it and kept it for some additional years before selling it on.

One last bit of information, the majority of .30 ammunition expended later in WW2 through individual shoulder arms and crew served weapons in theater was .30 M2 AP and not .30 M2 ball. The AP ammunition had better penetration and superior accuracy and range due to the longer bullet profile and increased bullet weight. The most accurate .30 ball issued in its lifetime was .30 M1 with the 172gr BT bullet. It actually shot further than the impact zone of many National Guard ranges in the 30s and was discontinued prior to WW2 for range safety issues. The AP round was the defacto replacement for M1 ball.

If anyone wants more info on CMP sales, let me know. I handed over a fair amount of my ready cash in the past to the CMP for firearms and ammunition!

"Everybody dies...the thing is, to die well"

Jack Harper
Ovenpaa

#10 Post by Ovenpaa »

Rufrdr, many thanks for your comments and correction :)

Have you only shot factory ammunition or did you reload for yourself as well?
/d

Shed Journal