M1 Garand (straight pull) proud primers...

Pre 1945 action rifles. Muzzle loading.

Moderator: dromia

safetyfirst
Past Supporter

Re: M1 Garand (straight pull) proud primers...

#11 Post by safetyfirst »

To be fair it came directly from an Italian proof house.

I’d rather not say where it was from, it was from a very nice chap who’s been a pleasure to do business with, mistakes happen.

I don’t know any RFD’s who routinely headspace brand new proofed rifles. No doubt some will soon arrive in this thread :)
WelshShooter
Site Supporter Since 2016

#12 Post by WelshShooter »

Furiouspilgrim wrote:Literally how long does it take for an RFD to check headspace. Can’t believe shops would sell a new gun without checking. At least you’re getting it sorted. What shop was it if you don’t mind me asking?
On the other hand, I would say what respectable firearms manufacturer would let a gun leave the factory that fails a no go headspace gauge?
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#13 Post by Ovenpaa »

I must admit to not head spacing new rifles when they come in, especially if they have a UK CIP Proof mark. On the other hand if it is one of my rifles I always head space them when they come back from proof regardless of what is stamped on the barrels. Just part of the post proof clean and check process for me.

I have added it to my check list :)
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
kaj

#14 Post by kaj »

test
safetyfirst
Past Supporter

#15 Post by safetyfirst »

Just received a blank PM off Kaj as well.
safetyfirst
Past Supporter

#16 Post by safetyfirst »

Just an update on this. The RFD who sold it to me has done a sterling job on checking the rifle and doing some research and testing. He has produced a full report on the rifle, used the correct headspace gauge and made sure the rifle is fit for purpose, his work is more akin to an academic paper than an email to a customer. All in all, the rifle is fine, it just wanted to be fed 40's M2 ball ammo so needs either factory ammo designed for it (Privi do some) or it needs reloads. All in all, excellent service.
WelshShooter

#17 Post by WelshShooter »

Excellent news! Get cracking with some handloads and get her fed!
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#18 Post by GeeRam »

safetyfirst wrote:All in all, the rifle is fine, it just wanted to be fed 40's M2 ball ammo so needs either factory ammo designed for it (Privi do some) or it needs reloads. All in all, excellent service.
Shame no RFD's are trying to import some of the vast amounts of Greek HXP M2 ball ammo that was floating around, which was the stuff the US NRA was selling by the crate via the CMP programme a few years back.

I also seem to recall reading stuff on some US forums ages ago about Garand's being fussy about handloads, but that maybe more about the brass used than the actual loads??
WelshShooter

#19 Post by WelshShooter »

Garand's are fussy with handloads due to the gas plug, if you use commercial loads you need to have an install an adjustable gas plug otherwise you risk a kaboom of some kind. I wouldn't have thought the UK compliant straight pull would have this issue unless there's another reason Hugh pressure ammo causes malfunctions etc.
bnz41
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#20 Post by bnz41 »

Some years ago I managed to buy a large amount of factory .30-06 ammo Some HXP but mostly FNM. Neither have caused issues in my SP Garand. Some of the brass has been reloaded and again no feeding or extraction issues using 150gr & now 145gr PPU bullets.

Only issues I have heard of is if some owners have used the steel cased Barnaul ammo and the heavier bullet weighted PPU ammo then extraction can be a problem.