Anybody here built a repro Mauser k98 sniper ?

Pre 1945 action rifles. Muzzle loading.

Moderator: dromia

breacher
Home club or Range: EBSC

Anybody here built a repro Mauser k98 sniper ?

#1 Post by breacher »

any????
http://www.phoenixtactical.co.uk

RFD 2043 Cambridgeshire
Mauserbill
Home club or Range: Range

Re: Anybody here built a repro Mauser k98 sniper ?

#2 Post by Mauserbill »

Hello
Yes I have built many for friends and club members.
Short rail, Turret and Long side rail variants
Also built Swedish M96 long and Husqvarna carbine snipers using short side rails

Mauserbill

The mid barrel ZF41 scope conversion of the rear sight was not a success even the German troopers did not like them
Would not recommend unless you want as a collection piece
Last edited by Mauserbill on Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WelshShooter
Site Supporter Since 2016

#3 Post by WelshShooter »

I have no experience, but there is a k98 sniper with ZF31 scope for sale on guntrader. It's been on there for a while.
breacher

#4 Post by breacher »

Mauserbill wrote:Hello
Yes I have built many for friends and club members.
Short rail, Turret and Long side rail variants
Also built Swedish M96 long and Husqvarna carbine snipers using short side rails

Mauserbill

The mid barrel ZF41 scope conversion of the rear sight was not a success even the German troopers did not like them
Would not recommend unless you want as a collection piece
Found a very clean Norwegian refurbished k98 with what looks like an unfired 30-06 barrel. Blueing looks to be in great condition as does the laminated stock. None of the serial numbers match. I have a late 40's / early 50's scope which fits the criteria required for being "in the spirit" of the original.

I have gone with repro High Turret mounts with split rings.

My questions are related to fitting the bases - I know the two screws are small and so solder was used on the originals to combat the recoil. I presume because the screws were not substantial enough ?

1 - I was wondering if it was feasible to replace these screws with more substantial modern items that CAN withstand the recoil - maybe thicker screws and the hole on mount milled out to suit the stronger screws ?

2 - Also, my mount set has not arrived ( eta next week ) but looking at pics of front mount - I was wondering if it is possible to fit one or two extra screws INSIDE the base. Obviously with countersunk heads to allow the ring part to rotate without fouling anything ? These would be invisible once ring is rotated into place.

3 - Can I do something similar with the rear mount ? Stronger screws or extra screws ?

I am trying to avoid the soldering approach as drilling and tappping ( even extra holes ) is much cheaper.

I figure that on modern rifles with similar recoil, bases are screwed on without soldering so it SHOULD be possible on this repro mount set with the right screws ?

RFD 2043 Cambridgeshire
Mauserbill
Home club or Range: Range

#5 Post by Mauserbill »

Hello
Understand your thinking, but the original screws have a special tapered head that locks them in place to the Turret.( you will see what I mean when the mount arrives) On my conversions of K98 turret snipers, I ensure that the two base areas are really clean and degreased and use a small amount of 2 pack epoxy before final assembly and tightening, never had one come loose. Are you getting them installed for you as this work is not for the inexperienced.
Will require reproof ! on completion.
Mauserbill
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#6 Post by Ovenpaa »

I built a Mauser M1930 with a vaguely period Pecar nailed to the top in steel mounts mostly because it can never be mistaken for a Mauser Sniper. There are far too many ersatz Mauser Sniper rifles circulating around the UK and with the availability of reproduction 'scopes and mounts and original font stamps and Waffenamt and deaths head stamps on the webbynet I flatly refuse to either buy nor acknowledge the provenance of 99.9% of the 'Original' rifles I have both seen and had my hands on with two exceptions.

I was shooting in DK a few years ago with my 4(T) and two Germans wandered over to have a watch, with their poor English, my appalling German and the Viking translating it transpired they had between them a couple of truly original 98 Snipers. I got to shoot both, one was dreadful and would not hold a reasonable group at 100m, the other however was truly superb and shot a 6" ish group at the 300m on electronics. Apparently it had come out of the false roof of a kitchen in Germany and had been with the same family ever since. I consider myself truly honoured to have been asked to shoot both rifles, they were remarkably basic, had a noticeably limited number of period stamps and were just good honest rifles.

For the record, I am not totally happy about people who produce any form of reproduction sniper rifle and are less than truly honest about exactly what they have built and are selling. Further to this I strongly believe the rifle should be marked clearly to dispel any further doubts as to the origin.

MauserBill - this is certainly not a dig at you and I would hope you were/are totally open about the origin of the rifles you produce :)

BTW - Welcome to the forum. :wave:
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
breacher

#7 Post by breacher »

Understand your thinking, but the original screws have a special tapered head that locks them in place to the Turret.( you will see what I mean when the mount arrives) On my conversions of K98 turret snipers, I ensure that the two base areas are really clean and degreased and use a small amount of 2 pack epoxy before final assembly and tightening, never had one come loose. Are you getting them installed for you as this work is not for the inexperienced.
Mauserbill
So, drilling bigger holes and using modern / more substantial screws would not work ? I assumed if they are good enough for fitting modern bases / rails, they might have been made to work on the high turrets /

What about my idea of an additional couple of screws inside the base ( the bit covered once ring part is rotated into place )

Much mention of JB Weld etc on US forums but universally decried as too weak !

edit - Well, mine will certainly never be mistaken.

It has a "7.62" inscribed on the bottom of the stock ( what the Norwegians used to denote 30-06 )

The scope is clearly not an issue item - rather "in the spirit".

I am just frustrated at the thought of having to solder on the bases when the same job has been done with screws on the majority of rifles with similar recoil.
Last edited by breacher on Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RFD 2043 Cambridgeshire
Sandgroper
Site Supporter Since 2015

#8 Post by Sandgroper »

“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.
breacher

#9 Post by breacher »

Sandgroper wrote:TVG's write up on a K98 build - http://www.thamesvalleyguns.co.uk/K98Sn ... ersion.pdf
Yes - saw that earlier - he used adhesive rather than solder on the high turret mount he built.

As I said, mine is in 30-06 which has a hefty recoil so I need a sturdy fixing.

RFD 2043 Cambridgeshire
Hrun
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: PRPC

#10 Post by Hrun »

breacher wrote:
Mauserbill
So, drilling bigger holes and using modern / more substantial screws would not work ? I assumed if they are good enough for fitting modern bases / rails, they might have been made to work on the high turrets /

What about my idea of an additional couple of screws inside the base ( the bit covered once ring part is rotated into place )

Much mention of JB Weld etc on US forums but universally decried as too weak !

edit - Well, mine will certainly never be mistaken.

It has a "7.62" inscribed on the bottom of the stock ( what the Norwegians used to denote 30-06 )

The scope is clearly not an issue item - rather "in the spirit".

I am just frustrated at the thought of having to solder on the bases when the same job has been done with screws on the majority of rifles with similar recoil.
Just an observation on JB Weld.. I glued a model aircraft cylinder head (4 stroke) together after a crash, rebuilt the engine and flew it again.. it ran perfectly and is still in the attic in one piece.