S.M.L.E. butt disks

Pre 1945 action rifles. Muzzle loading.

Moderator: dromia

Cookisan
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: Diggle and MSR&PC

S.M.L.E. butt disks

#1 Post by Cookisan »

Just wondering if some one could point me in the right direction.

I have two S.M.L.E.s which have new blank identification disks, which would look much better with some form of regimental markings punched into them. The aging and punching is no problem, but finding a source of correct markings is!

As I've spent most of my life in Cheshire and northern Staffordshire I was looking for period (1911 & 1918) regimental markings to copy, as this seemed most appropriate.

So far Google searches have produced lots of interesting images (anything with butt in the search has interesting results!!!!) and sights, but none to date that can be positively linked to the above mentioned areas. Have I missed any blatantly obvious web sights/sources? I'm hoping to visit the Staffordshire Regiment museum with the lad soon and was going to have a look for examples there and possibly talk to someone from their archive.

Any help would be much appreciated.
redcat
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Teesdale P&R Club.

Re: S.M.L.E. butt disks

#2 Post by redcat »

I seem to recall seeing reference to a book on this subject but cannot remember where.

Redcat
If you think you are a person of some importance, try ordering someone else's dog around.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#3 Post by Ovenpaa »

There is a UK website with such information and from memory they include data on oilers however I cannot find it at the moment.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Rockhopper

#4 Post by Rockhopper »

If you do a google image search for "SMLE stock disk" you'll get some much more useful results :-)
Rockhopper

#5 Post by Rockhopper »

If you do a google image search for "SMLE stock disk" you'll get some much more useful results :-)
Gingercat
Home club or Range: Kings Lynn St Michael

#6 Post by Gingercat »

The book you need is, oddly enough, "The identification of buttstock marking discs in British Service 1900-1944" by Capt. Peter Laidler

Not sure whether I bought my copy from Tenniswoods or DS Solutions originally. Published by BDL Ltd in the USA (that's Brian Dick on the Milsurps Lee Enfield forum).

The Cheshire Regiment = ChR (would have a battalion number before the letters.)

The South Staffordshire regiment = S-Staf

The North Staffordshire regiment (Prince of Wales's) = Nstaf

Hope that helps a bit!

Regards Mike
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#7 Post by dromia »

Next time you are round mine Derek mind me on and I'll do you a photo copy.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
redcat
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Teesdale P&R Club.

#8 Post by redcat »

Thank you kind sir.

Redcat
If you think you are a person of some importance, try ordering someone else's dog around.
Cookisan

#9 Post by Cookisan »

Thanks guys for the pointers, I'll try and track the book down, that seems the exact source I'm after.

As a side-line, I visited the Staffordshire Regiment museum today on one of their Discovery Days and it was very good! They had re-enactment groups from the 18th century through to the 1970's Northern Ireland, all very interesting and happy to tell you about their gear. The WWI trench system is quite impressive, but manpower was a bit uneven. The German front was held by a solitary Hun! The lad was happy, he's come away with a .303 blank and a 7.62 blank from an Indian SMLE and two boxes of soldiers.
Cookisan

#10 Post by Cookisan »

I am the proud owner of my very own copy of "The identification of buttstock marking discs in British Service 1900-1944" by Capt. Peter Laidler. A very useful booklet! Thanks again for the help gents!