I need to test something nothing to do with shooting

Testing 1,2,3 Testing - If you want to test how to post this is the place.
WelshShooter
Site Supporter Since 2016

Re: I need to test something nothing to do with shooting

#11 Post by WelshShooter »

Dellboy wrote:Funny how people like Dell Hp etc still produce new laptops with windows 7 aimed at business users
It's because of compliance and regulations etc. I work in the medical industry and it takes a lot of work and effort to roll out OS upgrades because there's so many different engineering software packages that would also need upgrading too. Plus, as we know, recent versions of Windows are not business friendly and are not as stable as Windows 7.
Maggot
Home club or Range: HRA and LERA

#12 Post by Maggot »

dromia wrote:I bought a tablet thing for the wife it was supposed to have windows 8 but had windows 10, it was a complete disaster. A friend managed to get windows 8 back for her much better although I would have preferred 7. Windows 10 is insidious and nasty.

I am glad I run Linux on all my 'puters far superior to microshite.
It would not stop hassling me until I loaded 10, it was a new laptop with 8 on it.

I am kind of used to it now but it is pants. I will probably get a Mac next time round.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#13 Post by dromia »

You can turn off the automatic updates that stops the microshite harassment.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#14 Post by Dark Skies »

The nag is due to an automatic update - KB3035583 it is an executable that starts with your system and pesters people with all the 'benefits' of Windows 10. You don't really want to stop all Microsoft automatic updates to your existing system because they include fixes and security updates. There is a tool for getting shot of the nag.

http://www.howtogeek.com/218856/how-do- ... tion-tray/
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#15 Post by dromia »

Aye microshite is to computers as lee is to reloading. Anything that needs all that fixing has to be broken to start with.

I use manual updates on the wifes tablet for the security stuff, group 4 has better security than microshite.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad

Fecking stones

Cow's farts matter!

HH1
Home club or Range: PSA

#16 Post by HH1 »

Well you know what the answer is? ...... switch to Apple :good: I did 7 years ago and I'd never go back to Windows.
dromia
Site Admin

#17 Post by dromia »

Apple is just another rip off.

I got an Apple Mac for the bairn when she went to university, two years later the off/on switch broke, could only be repaired by an Apple dealer, quote to repair the switch £500, feck that! The thieving illegitimates.

Linux is the only viable alternative that I know of.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad

Fecking stones

Cow's farts matter!

WelshShooter
Site Supporter Since 2016

#18 Post by WelshShooter »

dromia wrote:Apple is just another rip off.

I got an Apple Mac for the bairn when she went to university, two years later the off/on switch broke, could only be repaired by an Apple dealer, quote to repair the switch £500, feck that! The thieving illegitimates.

Linux is the only viable alternative that I know of.
Heh, that'll teach her! I've had my MacBook for 7 years now - since I bought it I have upgraded my RAM and installed a higher capacity harddrive and it's been running great all this time. I'm in desperate need of a desktop now and wouldn't look at anything other than Windows 7 (obviously I'd build my own computer).

Apple desktop systems are s***. Laptop components embedded into an expensive screen which means that the components cannot really be upgraded. Why would you spend over a grand on that??
safetyfirst
Past Supporter

#19 Post by safetyfirst »

I've been running macs for 25 years and they last easily three times longer than a comparable PC, until a few months ago my main computer was a bottom of the range 2009 MacBook Pro. Seven years later it was still as good as the day I bought it and I sold it for £450. Only sold it as I wanted something smaller and lighter.

You get what you pay for.

Everything breaks, apple laptops break less often then Dell HP or Sony according to a review some huge company did in the states.

Everything breaks, every good apple has a few bad eggs.

I love Linux. Been running it for 20 years. Still run it today.

OSX beats the crap out of it with a floppy penguin as a desktop user experience.

And yes, I've got weeks under my belt with both the latest mint and elementary OS (which shows great promise)

The Mac is a true UNIX workstation that can run Mac, Windows and Linux apps very easily. It's also almost as secure as Linux.

There. I said it.
safetyfirst
Past Supporter

I need to test something nothing to do with shooting

#20 Post by safetyfirst »

Oh. And yes. I do wish it was open source. Open source software is an incredibly important concept in computing today. Especially if we want to keep our freedom and privacy.