The power of Ten

Post a picture or Youtube of something interesting, no peaches or muffins please.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
If your post is vaguely 'Not Work Safe' please include NWS in the Subject field.
Chuck

The power of Ten

#1 Post by Chuck »

https://aeon.co/videos/the-classic-1977 ... erspective

The classic 1977 film that put the vastness of the universe into perspective

Opening at the scene of a picnic in a Chicago park, then gradually zooming out to encompass a view 100 million light years away before magnifying down again to a single proton, this classic 1977 short documentary by the legendary husband-and-wife design team Charles and Ray Eames uses exponential powers of ten to contextualise the scale of the known universe and chart the limits of human understanding. An ‘adventure in magnitudes’, Powers of Ten has been used to teach millions and millions about the cosmos and the microcosmic, and remains an extraordinary journey nearly 40 years later.
Political Correctness is the language of lies, written by the corrupt , spoken by the inept!
micken
Home club or Range: Yorkshire Shooting Centre, Huddersfield

Re: The power of Ten

#2 Post by micken »

That's a fascinating film that I saw when it was released. I was working in transmission and scanning electron microscopy at that time and I remember the imaging in the film being captivating.

Thanks for posting.
Chuck

#3 Post by Chuck »

You're welcome Micken -I could have hours of fun with an electron microscope. Lucky you. :good: :good: :good:
Political Correctness is the language of lies, written by the corrupt , spoken by the inept!
BestDrugDoc
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: Felton and District Rifle Club

#4 Post by BestDrugDoc »

Fascinating and complex - and they say it all happened by accident!
Les
Site Supporter Since 2015
Home club or Range: WRPC

#5 Post by Les »

I think I need a bigger slide rule. 5mith
Chuck

#6 Post by Chuck »

Fascinating and complex - and they say it all happened by accident!
What are the chances of that I wonder 5mith
BestDrugDoc

#7 Post by BestDrugDoc »

Exactly Chuck - not a question alot of people want to answer I guess.
Chuck

#8 Post by Chuck »

IMO a lot of people are scared to ask - or they deny cetain possibilities. It's a facinating thing - a ball of hot gas becomes a ball of hot iron and rock, cools and then spawns a myriad of species from dinosaurs to fleas plus of course oceans and sea creatures. Amazing huh. ;)
micken
Home club or Range: Yorkshire Shooting Centre, Huddersfield

#9 Post by micken »

Chuck wrote:You're welcome Micken -I could have hours of fun with an electron microscope. Lucky you. :good: :good: :good:
Yes indeed, I preferred to work overnight so that there was less vibratory interference in the building from traffic etc. The microscopes were in the basement and created quite a relaxing but eerie environment.
BestDrugDoc

#10 Post by BestDrugDoc »

Chuck wrote:IMO a lot of people are scared to ask - or they deny cetain possibilities. It's a facinating thing - a ball of hot gas becomes a ball of hot iron and rock, cools and then spawns a myriad of species from dinosaurs to fleas plus of course oceans and sea creatures. Amazing huh. ;)
And the intricacies of the human body, cells, hormones, nerves, eyes, kidneys, liver etc etc - chances of happening purely by genetic mutations selected for superiority in such complex and interdependent systems - none really.