B-29 at Camarillo CA

Post a picture or Youtube of something interesting, no peaches or muffins please.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
If your post is vaguely 'Not Work Safe' please include NWS in the Subject field.
rufrdr

B-29 at Camarillo CA

#1 Post by rufrdr »

https://youtu.be/CNuVOfDXviI

I was Camarillo airfield last a couple weekends ago for a ride in a T-6 and got to see the CAF B-29 Fifi coming and going at the same time. The link is the video I shot of it coming in and later being pushed out for another go around.

"Everybody dies...the thing is, to die well"

Jack Harper
20series
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

Re: B-29 at Camarillo CA

#2 Post by 20series »

Very cool cheers

I remember watching a documentary probably back in the 80's about the CAF and how they resurresurrected Fifi from a derelict to flying condition..

Alan
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Douglas Adams, 1952-2001 RIP
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#3 Post by Ovenpaa »

Impressive, I have never seen one other than the Airfix kits I used to make as a kid however even then the B29 was a favourite.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Chuck

#4 Post by Chuck »

Good one Rufridr, :good: :good: :good: wish the UK could keep a lot more flying than they do.

Ovenpaa: If you cannot get to Rufridr country the Pima Air Musem in Arizona has one indoors for you to look around. You cannot get IN but hatches are open. Theya ctually do not look as big as the Airfix kit (had one of those too) suggests :D
Political Correctness is the language of lies, written by the corrupt , spoken by the inept!
David Nimrod
Home club or Range: North Cotes Butts

#5 Post by David Nimrod »

Ovenpaa wrote:Impressive, I have never seen one other than the Airfix kits I used to make as a kid however even then the B29 was a favourite.
Me too... :good: the ultimate WW2 bomber IMHO.
Please Wake Up Before Our Humanity Is Lost Forever
Chuck

#6 Post by Chuck »

OOH maybe. A lot of unsung WW2 bombers never get the credit they deserve - like the Stirling and Halifax.....
Political Correctness is the language of lies, written by the corrupt , spoken by the inept!
rufrdr

#7 Post by rufrdr »

My friends and I visited B-29 'Doc' at Inyokern some time ago. It too was recovered and towed out of the China Lake Navy weapons base just as Fifi was. Doc eventually ended up in Kansas City and is now flying, making two B-29s in the air.

I'm second from the right in this photo.

The cockpit glass was broken out by the recovery crew to let the superheated desert air out. When they towed it off of China Lake the plane was equipped internally as it had been when it landed, all flight and survival gear was in place.

"Everybody dies...the thing is, to die well"

Jack Harper
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#8 Post by GeeRam »

Doc made its first airshow appearance a few weeks ago, at the big airshow at Barksdale AFB, which now, as the prime B-52 base, enabled this one-off never seen before formation flypast of 3 x Boeing 'Fortress' types.......
B-17 Flying Fortress, B-29 Superfortress and B-52 Stratofortress :p

Reecy
Home club or Range: Lancashire Phoenix RPC

#9 Post by Reecy »

Beaut

Such amazing machines.

Did you know that the Russians reverse engineered a B29 in a matter of weeks during ww11

Reecy
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#10 Post by snayperskaya »

Reecy wrote:Beaut

Such amazing machines.

Did you know that the Russians reverse engineered a B29 in a matter of weeks during ww11

Reecy
It actually took around two years, the first year was spent reverse-engineering and producing drawings etc and by the end of the second year around 20 aircraft had been produced as the Tupolev Tu-4, the first of which had it's maiden flight on the 19th of May 1947.

Some major obstacles had to be overcome, one of the main ones being that Boeing produced the B-29 to Imperial measurements whereas the Russians worked in metric units so sheet aluminium in the gauges matching the B-29 were unavailable.As a result the prototype Tu-4 was around 350kg heavier than the B-29.
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!