Badger cull to go ahead

All things Hunting, Fishing, Wildlife and Conservation related.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
"The Dromia Rule"

Deer Stalking… reliable word of mouth recommendation from someone you know has undertaken such stalking being offered by a specific syndicate is best. Like other walks of life, stalking has its scammers. E.G., make sure there is deer, of the species sought, on the land being made available; that appropriate insurance is in place; that there is recourse for recompense if it all goes wrong. In addition, obtain and understand terms and conditions; consider the implications of allowing a syndicate leader to be a FAC mentor; make sure ‘coaches’ are suitably qualified; consider the quality of deer management, the construction & execution of a shooting plan and safety; determine if the land is over-shot.

If in doubt, contact BASC or similar.

http://www.basc.org.uk/

Anyone considered to be a scammer will be banned without warning.
Sandgroper
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Badger cull to go ahead

#161 Post by Sandgroper »

Dougan wrote: ...I actually deliberately feed the squirrels that come to my garden, and wouldn't want to see any harm come to them - there are 3, and one of them is getting quite fat and tame.....a few weeks ago, after I hadn't filled their feeder for a few days, he actually came up the patio windows, looked straight at us, and stood up chattering and stamping his feet! - they're great entertainment :grin:
I will give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you're talking about Red Squirrels, if not...
Dougan wrote: And sorry - I should have qualified what I said about culling - I am not against the culling of non-endemic species...but not the badger, who is one of our few large endemic mammals left...and the TB issue is not their fault...

Or are you really just fattening up those Greys and lulling them into false sense of security while you find the right recipe? ;)
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.
Blu

#162 Post by Blu »

Dougan,
I actually deliberately feed the squirrels that come to my garden, and wouldn't want to see any harm come to them - there are 3, and one of them is getting quite fat and tame
While I wish your squirrels no harm either, do you really think it's a good idea for them to become dependant on you feeding them, as you say they have already started demanding. You surprise me Dougan, considering what you are studying at uni I'd have thought you of all people would have realised that they are wild animals and that's how they should remain.

They're very survival is at risk if they lose they're fear of humans, not everyone is as nice as you mate. This is not meant as a criticism Dougan, you just surprised me is all.

Blu :twisted:
Blu

#163 Post by Blu »

Jenks.
Jenks wrote:
meles meles wrote:
Sandgroper wrote:
Off topic but what about eradicating an alien introduced species to protect a native one?
You're the aliens here, oomans !

MM..

You're the aliens here, oomans
Ah! but we are the dominate species. For the time being that is. It might be a different story, if them that are in favour of lobbing Nuclear bombs around get their way............. Happen, it could then be the humble cockroach who is master of all he surveys. ;)

Sorry Jenks but that isn't going to happen, while it's true that cockroaches will survive radiation they're still screwed. Cockroaches need three things to survive, a warm environment, somewhere cosy were it's dark and finally the need us. We humans are their food and shelter source, when we go they'll be following shortly behind us. Cockroaches don't like the cold much.

I found this out from one of the "if humans disappeared" documentaries the science and nature channels on youtube . It was particularly interesting to see how easily domestic animals such as cats and dogs adapted back to their feral instincts. All the small pooches get eaten first then the larger dogs formed bigger packs to forage and hunt, three hundred years later they reckon we wouldn't recognize our former companions.

Dougan

#164 Post by Dougan »

Sandgroper wrote:
Dougan wrote: ...I actually deliberately feed the squirrels that come to my garden, and wouldn't want to see any harm come to them - there are 3, and one of them is getting quite fat and tame.....a few weeks ago, after I hadn't filled their feeder for a few days, he actually came up the patio windows, looked straight at us, and stood up chattering and stamping his feet! - they're great entertainment :grin:
I will give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you're talking about Red Squirrels, if not...
Dougan wrote: And sorry - I should have qualified what I said about culling - I am not against the culling of non-endemic species...but not the badger, who is one of our few large endemic mammals left...and the TB issue is not their fault...

Or are you really just fattening up those Greys and lulling them into false sense of security while you find the right recipe? ;)
Sorry SG, but I am talking grey squirrels - I would not argue with culling (hate that word) in areas where it might actually sustainable protect the reds...but down here, apart from Brownsea Island (where they are protected) the battle is well and truly lost...and personally I'm am prepared to accept that and leave them be...and do remember, they didn't swim across the channel...

...as for fattening them up...if the 'zombie apocalypse' ever came...then they, along with the equally fat pigeons, could well end up on the menu ;) razz
Dougan

#165 Post by Dougan »

Blu wrote:Dougan,
I actually deliberately feed the squirrels that come to my garden, and wouldn't want to see any harm come to them - there are 3, and one of them is getting quite fat and tame
While I wish your squirrels no harm either, do you really think it's a good idea for them to become dependant on you feeding them, as you say they have already started demanding. You surprise me Dougan, considering what you are studying at uni I'd have thought you of all people would have realised that they are wild animals and that's how they should remain.

They're very survival is at risk if they lose they're fear of humans, not everyone is as nice as you mate. This is not meant as a criticism Dougan, you just surprised me is all.

Blu, if I was living in the backwoods somewhere you would be absolutely right - however I live in a semi-suburban bungalow city, in an area of England where many come to retire - there is a bird table in every garden, and it is an ecosystem of it's own where most of the birds and mammals are dependent on feeding or scavenging....that's just the way it is....and it's not as bad as it sounds, with the many of the resident species (including woodpeckers, owls and bats) actually thriving.
Blu

#166 Post by Blu »

Dougan wrote:
Blu wrote:Dougan,

Blu, if I was living in the backwoods somewhere you would be absolutely right - however I live in a semi-suburban bungalow city, in an area of England where many come to retire - there is a bird table in every garden, and it is an ecosystem of it's own where most of the birds and mammals are dependent on feeding or scavenging....that's just the way it is....and it's not as bad as it sounds, with the many of the resident species (including woodpeckers, owls and bats) actually thriving.
Fair enough, I'll concede to your knowledge of the local environment though the three species you mention there a not dependent on humans for food. I just believe that while there is nothing wrong with admiring them, they're still wild animals and should be left to fend for themselves in order to remain wild.

Dougan

#167 Post by Dougan »

Blu wrote: the three species you mention there a not dependent on humans for food
No they're not, but their population densities are much greater in areas like here, where there is a mix of suburban, farm and woodland than they would be nearly anywhere else in England...

...I'm not saying it's ideal and it's not my choice, but it's also not a situation that will be reversed (not on this crowded little island)...so as I said, it's just the way it is...
Jenks

#168 Post by Jenks »

Purely coincidence but I spotted this in the D/Mail.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... arden.html

I have to say that I kill every grey squirrel that I can. I have seen the damage they can do to nesting garden birds. We used to have lots of Song Thrushes in our garden now we have none. We have lots of snails (Song Thrush food) the problem is the neighbours have lots of bird feeders hanging in their garden attracting Grey Squirrels. I know what I prefer to see and hear in the garden.

Jenks
Dougan

#169 Post by Dougan »

Jenks wrote:Purely coincidence but I spotted this in the D/Mail.

I have to say that I kill every grey squirrel that I can. I have seen the damage they can do to nesting garden birds. We used to have lots of Song Thrushes in our garden now we have none. We have lots of snails (Song Thrush food) the problem is the neighbours have lots of bird feeders hanging in their garden attracting Grey Squirrels. I know what I prefer to see and hear in the garden.

Jenks
Yes I'm sure you have no problem at all playing God in you little log-stacked empire...

...you seem to take the side of provocation in nearly every thread you comment on...and I have to say, that I find you a bit of a t*@t at times.
Jenks

#170 Post by Jenks »

Dougan wrote:
Jenks wrote:Purely coincidence but I spotted this in the D/Mail.

Jenks
Yes I'm sure you have no problem at all playing God in you little log-stacked empire...

...you seem to take the side of provocation in nearly every thread you comment on...and I have to say, that I find you a bit of a t*at at times.

Dougan..

Well, I certainly rattled your chain. The fact is the Grey squirrel is a verminous pest and they do take song bird eggs and chicks. Funny how you as an 'environmental scientist' find it convenient to ignore that, because they amuse you! I had a Blackbird nest close to my greenhouse door this summer it had four very small chicks in it. I took great pleasure watching the adult birds taking in food. I looked in one morning all the chicks were gone. they were far too young to have fledged. It was no coincidence that the grey Squirrels used the hedge as a rat run to get to my neighbours bird feeders. On the subject of rats.I wonder would you find it equally amusing watching the rats darting out from under their shed to feed off the crumbs from the bird table .

I'm pretty sure you wouldn't approve of this, but it is great fun.

http://www.shootingtimes.co.uk/features ... rrels.html

Jenks.