Trail Cameras

All things Hunting, Fishing, Wildlife and Conservation related.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
"The Dromia Rule"

Deer Stalking… reliable word of mouth recommendation from someone you know has undertaken such stalking being offered by a specific syndicate is best. Like other walks of life, stalking has its scammers. E.G., make sure there is deer, of the species sought, on the land being made available; that appropriate insurance is in place; that there is recourse for recompense if it all goes wrong. In addition, obtain and understand terms and conditions; consider the implications of allowing a syndicate leader to be a FAC mentor; make sure ‘coaches’ are suitably qualified; consider the quality of deer management, the construction & execution of a shooting plan and safety; determine if the land is over-shot.

If in doubt, contact BASC or similar.

http://www.basc.org.uk/

Anyone considered to be a scammer will be banned without warning.
Anson Deeley

Trail Cameras

#1 Post by Anson Deeley »

I'm thinking of getting a trail camera to monitor and time deer movements. I'm not in the habit of leaving about £100+ worth of equipment unattended in the country.
Has anyone got experience with trail cameras ? Advice on how much to spend, what to look for and how to get the best use from one ?
Any advice would be most welcome.
Polchraine

Re: Trail Cameras

#2 Post by Polchraine »

A friend has recently bought a Bushnell - about £300 ! And the results are excellent, I have seen them from daylight and the darkest night.

They do also make "secure" boxes for them - don't know how secure but worth investigating.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.
Scotsgun

#3 Post by Scotsgun »

Mate bought 2. He thought someone was messing around with his pheasant pens, so posted them nearby.

Now he's convinced - they came back and stole both cams too.
Anson Deeley

#4 Post by Anson Deeley »

That's what I'm worried about. I've seen some with a sim card on ebay that send the photo immediately via the mobile phone network to your mobile phone or email. At least that way you can see what b****** nicked it !
meles meles
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: HBSA

#5 Post by meles meles »

Better send it directly to Mr Plod, cc Mr Local MP, with an exhortation to do something pronto...
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
Scotsgun

#6 Post by Scotsgun »

Plod will just consider you a t*@t for leaving such expensive kit out and unprotected.
dave111

#7 Post by dave111 »

Take some ladders find a tree that has no low braches get a secure box and fix it up high with the camera angled down. ??
Anson Deeley

#8 Post by Anson Deeley »

Good idea, makes sense, thanks. J.
DL.

#9 Post by DL. »

I just treated myself to a trail cam, so will be watching with interest to see what results it brings.

Like the above posters, I'm a little uneasy leaving £100+ worth of gear attached to a tree! Was considering applying camouflage to it, but all the gubbins on the front needs to have a good field of view in order to work as intended.
Site Supporter Since 2015

#10 Post by 1066 »

The standard camouflage must work ok. I caught this on my camera last summer, gave me quite a shock when I saw it. This is the edited version, trust me you wouldn't like to see or hear the whole thing. It's a cheap Aldi special at around £70.
https://youtu.be/iVjl1oCPqLg
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com