Lamping lamps

All things Hunting, Fishing, Wildlife and Conservation related.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
"The Dromia Rule"

Deer Stalking… reliable word of mouth recommendation from someone you know has undertaken such stalking being offered by a specific syndicate is best. Like other walks of life, stalking has its scammers. E.G., make sure there is deer, of the species sought, on the land being made available; that appropriate insurance is in place; that there is recourse for recompense if it all goes wrong. In addition, obtain and understand terms and conditions; consider the implications of allowing a syndicate leader to be a FAC mentor; make sure ‘coaches’ are suitably qualified; consider the quality of deer management, the construction & execution of a shooting plan and safety; determine if the land is over-shot.

If in doubt, contact BASC or similar.

http://www.basc.org.uk/

Anyone considered to be a scammer will be banned without warning.
Gazza

Lamping lamps

#1 Post by Gazza »

Can anyone recommend me a good lamp for rabbiting, gun mounted or hand held.
Are the LED ones better than the old halogen ones these days?
I've looked at some spurious makes on Ebay which look OK but seem cheap (£25-£45) to be good.
kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

Re: Lamping lamps

#2 Post by kennyc »

I use T67 white and IR lamps, they run about £30 and reach a loooong way into the dark! for shorter range rabbitting I prefer an IR T20 as a gun light, plenty of range and I have a theory the large red glow from the T67 is a disadvantage closer in.
if shooting off a truck I change to a T20 with visible light (green or white or red)
the trick is to buy good 18650 batteries and a good charger.
Gazza

#3 Post by Gazza »

Thats something I meant to ask in my opening post.
Are there any adavantages/disadvantages with different coloured beams?
Are the red and green beams shorter reaching than white?
Are the bunnies less wary of say a red or green beam?
kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

#4 Post by kennyc »

Gazza wrote:Thats something I meant to ask in my opening post.
Are there any adavantages/disadvantages with different coloured beams?
Are the red and green beams shorter reaching than white?
Are the bunnies less wary of say a red or green beam?
green apparently is the farthest reaching, the larger T67's are better for spotting due to their reach, at closer range I find them more likely to spook bunnies, the much smaller and lighter T20's make great gun mounted lamps and even when defocused can show more than enough detail through the scope, and also seem to be less spooky, they also have the advantage if you shoot with someone else of showing exactly where the rifle is pointed, never a bad thing in my opinion ;)
turner73
Home club or Range: Garlands

#5 Post by turner73 »

I'm looking to upgrade from my Tracer Ledray F400. most of my lampings on foot, solo. So need to keep the weight down.
I'm finding the beam distance not that good.
Can anyone recommend a decent lamp to mount on my scope?
smoothly
Home club or Range: yorkshire shooting centre mirfield

#6 Post by smoothly »

Ive tried all the old and new stuff from through the 140,170 240 blitz stuff hand held and scope mounted and they were good but the newer stuff is lighter and more manageable ive used all the t series stuff too t20,t50 t67 again good and ive swopped the pills just for different coulours obviously smaller for scope use then ialso use a t50 ir with a as pill for my photon and its brilliant can see a lot further than i shoot,then i bought a ian sirrel t66 and a t76 wow the guy makes his own gear and uses t20 torch as a base they are fantastic he has his own facebook page ian sirrel light builds have a look also theres the torch factory have a look there as well your spoilt these days.
Thesmi
Home club or Range: Harlow

#7 Post by Thesmi »

Im finding amber pretty good in a t50
Nrees21
Home club or Range: Bishop Auckland

#8 Post by Nrees21 »

t50 for me, can carry many batteries in your pocket and worlds ahead of my old tracer