Anyone know anything about dog psychology?

All things Hunting, Fishing, Wildlife and Conservation related.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
"The Dromia Rule"

Deer Stalking… reliable word of mouth recommendation from someone you know has undertaken such stalking being offered by a specific syndicate is best. Like other walks of life, stalking has its scammers. E.G., make sure there is deer, of the species sought, on the land being made available; that appropriate insurance is in place; that there is recourse for recompense if it all goes wrong. In addition, obtain and understand terms and conditions; consider the implications of allowing a syndicate leader to be a FAC mentor; make sure ‘coaches’ are suitably qualified; consider the quality of deer management, the construction & execution of a shooting plan and safety; determine if the land is over-shot.

If in doubt, contact BASC or similar.

http://www.basc.org.uk/

Anyone considered to be a scammer will be banned without warning.
Meaty
Home club or Range: Grove Small Arms.Thetford Gallery, STANTA, Barton Road

Anyone know anything about dog psychology?

#1 Post by Meaty »

My dog, a lab x gwp cross has suddenly got spooked by gunshots and any sudden noises and I cant for the life of me think why. She has accompanied me on various trips to the range and on the occasional shoot since she was a pup and was always excited by the sound of the pops but now if she hears even a distant gunshot she is off like a stabbed rat. Usually, if we are close to home she heads straight for the front door but on a recent trip to the Northumberland moors it took about 4 hours to find her!
The tipping point was when she sliced a pad off on a flint in the field behind our house-the vet told us she had to be immobile for at least 2 weeks (easier said than done with a dog that lives to run), wear a lampshade and take it easy for a while.
I dont see any other behavioural changes in her-she is still as docile as ever, loves the vets, great with the kids and utterly loyal. If I take a ball and throw stick on a walk then, 99% of the time, she is transfixed on that but still occasionally heads for the (lack of) hills at the slightest noise.
Any ideas?
"There are four boxes to be used in the defence of liberty: soap, ballot, jury and ammo. Please use in that order."
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Anyone know anything about dog psychology?

#2 Post by Blackstuff »

My dog is the same, well, in that she never used to be bothered by loud bangs etc (we used to have to keep her in doors on Guy Fawkes night not because she was bothered by the fireworks but because she'd try and grab the ones we were launching in the garden!), but last year she was literally petrified and even 'normal' loud noises has her shivering in terror :cry: We've even had to buy on of those 'Thunder shirts' (which does actually work) for Nov 5th :bad:
DVC
Daryll
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

#3 Post by Daryll »

It could be an age thing... our previous dog (Staffy JRT cross) wasn't bothered about noises at all when he was young.... during thunderstorms he would look around, then go back to sleep. Once he got to 5-6 years old, they would send him batty, he'd be scrabbling around trying to find somewhere to hide.

Our current Springer was fine when a puppy, but now hes 4 he doesn't like loud noises at all.
Ovenpaa

#4 Post by Ovenpaa »

My working Lab is six, best thing for him is not to become gun shy....
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
charadam
Past Supporter

#5 Post by charadam »

My last Springer (dead for 4 years) was rock solid until the middle of the afternoon, when he became gunshy.

I have often wondered if dogs could be prone to noise-induced headache.
"Nonsense - they couldn't hit an elephant at this dist.......................".
knewmans

#6 Post by knewmans »

Often wondered about dogs' ear protection on a shoot.
Airbrush
Home club or Range: Nra

#7 Post by Airbrush »

Blackstuff wrote:My dog is the same, well, in that she never used to be bothered by loud bangs etc (we used to have to keep her in doors on Guy Fawkes night not because she was bothered by the fireworks but because she'd try and grab the ones we were launching in the garden!), but last year she was literally petrified and even 'normal' loud noises has her shivering in terror :cry: We've even had to buy on of those 'Thunder shirts' (which does actually work) for Nov 5th :bad:

'Thunder shirts', please tell me more?
Blackstuff

#8 Post by Blackstuff »

Most big pet shops and vets with shops have them in. You've got to get the shirt on before the banging starts as its less effective once they start shaking (but still does reduce it). Mine will be being deployed this weekend!

http://www.thundershirt.co.uk/?SID=kpli ... __store=uk
DVC
Airbrush
Home club or Range: Nra

#9 Post by Airbrush »

Ta.
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#10 Post by bradaz11 »

my GWP isn't soothed by the shirt, she hates bangs, but the shirt seems to annoy her almost as much
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns