Vermin Shooting

All things Hunting, Fishing, Wildlife and Conservation related.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
"The Dromia Rule"

Deer Stalking… reliable word of mouth recommendation from someone you know has undertaken such stalking being offered by a specific syndicate is best. Like other walks of life, stalking has its scammers. E.G., make sure there is deer, of the species sought, on the land being made available; that appropriate insurance is in place; that there is recourse for recompense if it all goes wrong. In addition, obtain and understand terms and conditions; consider the implications of allowing a syndicate leader to be a FAC mentor; make sure ‘coaches’ are suitably qualified; consider the quality of deer management, the construction & execution of a shooting plan and safety; determine if the land is over-shot.

If in doubt, contact BASC or similar.

http://www.basc.org.uk/

Anyone considered to be a scammer will be banned without warning.
kamyonsofor
Home club or Range: Bedford rifle&pistol club

Vermin Shooting

#1 Post by kamyonsofor »

Shooting vermin ,what do you do with kill (being blunt) .With small vermin no problem really is bury it if not edible but what about a Fox, how do you dispose of it,would taxidermist want it ,someone might want the brush but then the rest of it.??? Years ago you would often see around our area anyway the gamekeepers take tied to the gates this was said to warn off others ,but would not be pc nowadays oh golly gosh no.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Vermin Shooting

#2 Post by Ovenpaa »

Rabbits can be left out if you do not eat them or pass them to the Game dealer. We occasionally throw them in the top of the hedge for passing Buzzards dependant on what else is in the area, it is not a great idea to do such a thing near Pheasant pens. Foxes are buried or burnt.

Hanging Moles on a barbed wire fence is still practised and always makes me smile when I see them as it shows the Mole catcher has pride in his work and wants others to know he is doing his job however I suspect many are just slung in the hedge these days.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Blackstuff

#3 Post by Blackstuff »

I've only ever shot two foxes before, both of which were raiding a work colleagues hen house in a semi-rural hamlet. They just went in black bags and into the household waste bin as there was no where to bury them in her garden and I wasn't going to take them away in my car!

I doubt there's much/any money to be made in their carcass.
DVC
kamyonsofor
Home club or Range: Bedford rifle&pistol club

#4 Post by kamyonsofor »

Thanks for the replies ,the bunnies will go on the hedge tops as we have Buzzards & Kites about.
Ovenpaa

#5 Post by Ovenpaa »

I would avoid hurling them in the top of hedges near footpaths and near Pheasant and Partridge pens or you will have some grumpy people around.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
smoothly
Home club or Range: yorkshire shooting centre mirfield

#6 Post by smoothly »

Usualy as has been said we leave stuff for predators or eat it ourselves or give it away or feed the ferrets etc, but the other week this woman asked me for anything that i shot could she have it to try well shes had rabbit,pigeon,goose [curried apparantly],a bit of venison i had then she asks for squirrel not something ive ever tried but i got her one skinned it and jointed it for her and i havnt seen her since,so dont know if shes climbing trees and eating nuts,hibernating,poorly,or just keeping out of my wayas she didnt realy try it lol.